Top 5 Books of all time!

Its very easy to deny this and deny that, but eventually you come across that 1%? That defies all logic. Life is a mystery, everything that happens is Gods/Universes Plan, he put us here to Marvel at his Glory. No Religion. No Spirituality. Just Truth.

What you're saying is quite making sense anymore.

If they're not using quantum mechanics to prove anything, if they're only metaphors, then why do they keep talking about quantum mechanics? You could find a billion better metaphors for their ideas.

In fact, plenty of New Age cults DO use quantum mechanics to justify their beliefs. They don't say that quantum mechanics work like X, so maybe the soul works like X as well. They say quantum mechanics works like X AND THAT'S WHY WE CAN INFLUENCE PHYSICAL REALITY WITH OUR MINDS. They say that. All the time. It is not a metaphor or a parallel. It is outright saying quantum mechanics justifies my insane, poorly thought out beliefs. The fact that quantum mechanics are really weird and often counter-intuitive only helps.

In that short review of What the Bleep do we Know I posted there are many examples. A lot of New Age stuff is based on the idea that we can change the physical world with our thoughts, and they base this on the idea that observers in quantum physics change variables in the things they're observing, without ever understanding what that actually means.

Fuck it. I can't even respond to that. Take the floor.

Thought of another book I'd probably put in my top 10, possibly my top 5. Musicophilia. Combines some of my favourite subjects, and Oliver Sacks is always a warm and interesting writer. I'd recommend it to everyone, whether they're interested in music or neurology or not.

I can't even imagine. :<

makes me think of this, which still blown my mind. TURN IT UP AND GO FULLSCREEN.

Page - Crazy, that Book was next on my list. That book actually will show some of the "Holographic Nature" of the Brain.

But its true. Thoughts can be "thought of" as Waves. Everything "out there" reacts to waves. They waves will be rebounded. The Universe is listening. Believe it.

What I hate the most is this label "New Age". ALOT of this "crazy" stuff was discussed Thousands of Years ago. Modern Science is "Catching Up" to Eastern Philosophy. Believe it.

Some books I like. I don't really have a top five.

-Giver
-Outsiders
-Antigone
-Rite of Passage
-Kaffir Boy
-Fone bone( it's fucking epic as hell!)
-Gamer Girl

Yeah, no. Musicophilia has nothing to do with spirituality or pseudoscience. It doesn't ever talk about the universe or god, and nowhere in it will you find support for the mind influencing reality, global conscience, thoughts as waves, or anything like that.

And New Age coops eastern religions the same way it coops quantum physics: by cherry picking bits and then cramming them together to loosely justify ridiculous claims.

Dino, I don't know if you are trolling or not. Yeah I know about quantum entaglement, wave particle duality, etc. I'm a year away from having a fucking PhD in physics.
There is no more "research" to do on the crap you are posting because unlike quantum mechanics, they are not scientific theories - that is predictive theories that can be falsified by observation.
What the Bleep Do We Know is one of the worst movies made in recent times for informing the public about science. The worst part is that they mix in legitimate science and scientists with complete hacks and cranks. When the guy started talking about human beings influencing the outcome of a random number generator I wanted to find the producer and shoot him.

PS Upon re-reading I'm inclined to think you are trolling since I don't honestly want to believe that anyone (worst of all a fellow Canadian) could be that stupid.

Musicophilia does show the "Holographic Nature" of the Brain/Mind/Consciousness. No one said anything about spirituality.

And um, No. Eastern PHILOSOPHY (not Religion) STATED CLEARLY alot of things that QM is discovering Now (Non-Local Universe, Zero-Point NRG/Source, Duality, etc).

So remove these "New Age" Labels. I think you mistaken Spirituality w/ Religion.

And um, Yea, Sorri to burst your bubble. I think you would just be angry of the Universe is completely Random. Randomness dictates that for the Universe to Randomly occur, its almost impossible.

Unless of course, we get into Parallel Universes....

The Spirit Exists. Consciousness is Everywhere and Connects Everything.

LOL at me being Stupid. Yea, I just finished my UnderGrad in Physics, so I'm no PhD (yet), but I read about Physics endlessly.

I'm more dissappointed that you guys won't look at the EVIDENCE at Non-Locality, Evidence of Consciousness seperate from the Brain, etc.

Michael Talbot "The Holographic Principle"

Read It. Because if I'm stupid, I guess others PhD's Life Work and the people who side with them, are Stupid.

Close Minded-ness will be the Death of Us.

I think everyone is just "afraid" of a Religion being "right".

How can someone who understands the ABSURDITY of QM, honestly think there isn't a shitload more for us to discover (or RE-Discover) about Nature and Life.

There is a quote "If a Person says they understand QM, they REALLY DONT understand QM."

Dino, I don't know if you are trolling or not. Yeah I know about quantum entaglement, wave particle duality, etc. I'm a year away from having a fucking PhD in physics.
There is no more "research" to do on the crap you are posting because unlike quantum mechanics, they are not scientific theories - that is predictive theories that can be falsified by observation.
What the Bleep Do We Know is one of the worst movies made in recent times for informing the public about science. The worst part is that they mix in legitimate science and scientists with complete hacks and cranks. When the guy started talking about human beings influencing the outcome of a random number generator I wanted to find the producer and shoot him.

PS Upon re-reading I'm inclined to think you are trolling since I don't honestly want to believe that anyone (worst of all a fellow Canadian) could be that stupid.
This post made me wanna go to college.

In a lot of ways old eastern philosophy and religion are interchangeable.

But that's not the point. New Age almost always draws from eastern religion or philosophy. That's how they work their mumbo jumbo, by appealing to alternative sources that their victims won't be familiar with, while also railing against a supposed tyranny of western (white) science and religion.

And lol what? Zero point energy? Non-local universe? Consciousness is everywhere?

There's only one thing to do in response to that. Appeal to the classics:

Lets talk about books some more.

Specifically, lets talk about that hilarious top 100 list from readers that Page posted a few pages back. Holy hell, Battlefield Earth and Ayn Rand are really, REALLY at the top of that thing?

5. Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health L. Ron Hubbard
LOL.. Scientology.

4. One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish Blue Fish Dr. Seuss
This book rhymes, all the time.. woomp.

3.Divine Comedy: Dante's Inferno Dante Alighieri
It's a poem.. and Hell is hot!

2. Marvel vs Capcom 3 Signature Series Guide Brady Games
This is THE best guide, though I still suck?!?

1. The Bible ???
Who was the really written by anyway? Thousand year old fairy tales.. makes for great coasters.

Watch dem water rings!!

Really don't understand how everyone start arguing, but it'd be cool if you all starting arguing points rather than saying, 'I'm right, you're silly and wrong'.

How's this: if you are going to talk about the spiriting existing, consciousness being separate from the brain and generally omnipresent, you actually make a prediction that we can test and show me evidence that is has been successful in this test? These are just words coming out with nothing behind them.
Quantum entaglement for example refers to a very specific phenomena regarding quantum systems that have previously been in contact, and how collapsing the wave function in one system causes partial collapse in the other. Experiments were found violating something known as Bell's inequality. In other words, a prediction was made, an experiment was performed, and the theory was verified.
If you have studied physics even at an undergraduate level then you should know one of the most basic principles of quantum mechanics is the correspondence principle: all quantum mechanical systems, as they are scaled up or in the limit as hbar goes to zero, have to behave like their classical analogues.
The smallest meaningful constituent in the human brain for example is the neuron. The neuron is so large that it is undoubtedly a classical object. So to posit some kind of quantum behavior relating to consciousness would actually completely contradict quantum theory in its modern form. Therefore it would require extremely good evidence. You, and all the fools (yes you can get a PhD in physics and be a fool, its just relatively rare) arguing in favor of this have zero evidence.
Again, I am not close minded per se. If there were some kind of good evidence for the brain being a quantum system and for consciousness having some bizarre properties, then I would listen to it. But there isn't any good evidence, at all. Rather than worry about close mindedness, I would worry about open mindedness: the ability to reject ridiculous and unsubstantiated claims (bullshit) is just as vital as the ability to dispassionately weigh new evidence.

How's that LostProvidence?

PS CrazyYoshimitsu, go to college! Undergrad was the bomb, I highly recommend it.

I didn't talk about anything; I just wanted to see what you two were arguing about. >_>

There is a book that talk about evidence for reincarnation. It was referenced in one of my other books, I have to find it. ITs a bunch of "random" PhDs. Anyone is allowed to have an opinion I guess. Well it talks about ideas like a person being clinically dead, but being able to describe exactly what happened while they were dead. Even in other rooms. Or it could be a story. I will find the book.

There is also Dr. Emotos "Messages from Water" as examples of consciousness affecting reality, but this can be thought of psuedoscience to an extent.

QM is pretty crazy. I'll just remind everyone, for a while The Earth was the Centre of the universe. Then the Sun went around the Earth, Who knows what we'll know tomorrow.

Back