Types of Scrubs

Sp1d3r

Demon Beaver
scrub reveal.PNG
Scrub
is a derogatory term. It's ruthless and exposing. Most of us know what a scrub looks like, but some scrubs skulk unmasked and must be revealed. So here we go...
Top 8 Types of scrubs! (Or for you intellectually curious folk: archetypes)

8. The Extremely Bad Scrub:
These are the most common scrubby players. They are so terrible and so bad, not because they are dumb but because they refuse to adapt. These scrubs can take the form of people who are loud and obnoxious or people who are shy and timid. In either case, the result is the same. No improvement. The timid ones usually sell themselves short and fool themselves into thinking that there’s no way they could be any good. And with that mindset, they are very, very right.

7. The “One True String” Scrub: You can find these cool guys in ranked mode getting by using one string/combo or move. Such as Natsu bombs or Asta’s 1AA 1AB, Devil Jins’ 10 hit combo.. etc. The moment you beat their strategy they become a lost and broken version of their former selves. Because they are one trick ponies, they are unable to adapt, and will move on to the next match taking away absolutely nothing from the experience.

6. The Local Champ Scrub: The local champ, also known as “big fish in a small pond” has defeated everyone in his area. NOBODY can defeat him, not even grandma, not even the boy with the thick glasses. Because of this, the Local Champ has dubbed himself a Professional, whose opinions are worth currency. The Local Champ’s ego is usually so bloated that losses can not be comprehended and must be justified somehow so that their ego is unscathed.

5. The Tier Scrub: This guy loves to talk theory-- probably talks more theory than he actually plays the game. For whatever reason, at some point in time, his character became unviable for reasons X Y Z, and he’s going to let you know. The tier scrub is secretly more invested in making his opinions known—but more importantly he is RIGHT. Just like alignments in D&D, simply mentioning tiers causes people to bitch and moan, and eventually manages to piss off someone who never cared in the first place.

Tier Debating is an advanced subject that even top players can not articulate well. It requires a deep knowledge of the game, the ability to analyze effectively, and the ability to back up claims with strong repeatable proof(like matchup charts). Instead, tier debate threads are usually dumping grounds for a person’s inadequacies: the perfect place to project their failures on to something else.

4. The Tier Martyr: This is a not-so-rare breed of scrub whose character has legitimately become terrible in most matchups. Due to character loyalty, the scrub will refuse to switch to a better character. He will enter tournaments. He will smash his head over a wall repeatedly. He will lose. This disease enables a person to hide under a joke character instead of doing what it takes to win.

3. The Media Scrub: Possibly a commentator or Youtube media aggregator, this guy is unable to show any real talent except for talking. Because there are so many new players who aren’t educated at the game, many of them can be herded blindly. The media scrub capitalizes on this knowingly or not. The media scrub justifies his fighting skill with popularity and is unable to differentiate the two.

2. The Scrubby Policeman: This guy is great. The savior of online fighting games, truly. Fighting game netcode has only recently started to get better. For every game that hasn’t, we get these guys. They will be the first to let you know which moves are unfair, which moves you should use instead, and are much happier when you follow THE PROTOCOL. This is a truly bizarre example of what happens when the objective is to win at all costs.

1. The Pro Scrub: This guy is actually pretty good. The “pro scrub” propagandizes his own theory as fact, especially about the nuances of the game system. Sometimes he’ll second as The Perfect Game Designer, and will loudly trumpet the changes that need to happen. Sometimes these requests are legit, but asking for ‘balancing” can sometimes lead to “making the game easier” for him, instead of “not sucking”.

Pro scrubs generally fail to understand that being skilled at something does not lend insight as to how to design it. When these players are beaten, they will “become” a scrub, like a Jekyll and Hyde.”

There are many more scrubs out there. The point is always the same. Can't win? Blame something. Blame ANYTHING but yourself.

Bonus Scrub inspired by HRD:
0. The Old Man Scrub: He has reached 30 years of age. He's now ancient and shunned by society. His talents, if there were any, have been crippled by mortality's greatest flaw: Age. These old men think that they have been beaten by time, genes, and God himself. He has convinced himself that his reflexes simply can not stand up to quickness of youth and he begins to sink ever slowly into the tar pit, waiting to die.

Moar Scrubs:
The Style-Over-Skill Scrub
Spends weeks practising the most ridiculously hard combos, but doesn't know how to land one if the opponent fights back, or blocks.

Likes to use certain attacks just because they look cool. No matter how worthless they are.
Usually also knows the names for every attack in the command list.These type of peeps also love to bash those without style yet gets beat by the efficient simple way. They're like those "one true string" scrubs, except more into using stylish moves over logical skill. Their logic is always utilizing a different move is what makes a good player. Such "fashionable yet tragic drama beauty queens" is what they become, when the ridiculous logic they go by is not followed.

Submitted by FleshMasher & PockyYoshi

Build-A-Scrub
This one was inspired by IdleMind. He mentioned that he would teach his girlfriend to play a three-move Pat so that she could troll Ranked Mode. This is very similar to One-True-String Scrub, but the fact that you can build a scrub means it deserves its own definition.

Dressup Scrub:
Favors playing dressup with their dollies instead of playing.
Spider: Nothing against people who enjoy CAS, but we DO find these people in ranked mode and other places they have no business being in and they get torn up BAD.

Submitted by Wandrian

The G.I.R.L/girl scrub
To put it simply, their excuse is waving the fact they are a girl. But at times, it could be a G.I.R.L.(Guy in real life) trying to hide their identity via posing as a lady online. Sometimes, they can be nastiest scrubs around. Not only do they happen to be extremely bitchy, but they expect you to go easy on them and at times have a combination of the typical scrub archetypes. What makes them different from them is of course them flashing they're a girl or a G.I.R.L(but they don't tell you that).

Submitted by PockyYoshi

The Artful Dodger Scrub
Covers every loss by claiming to be good at some other title, often an obscure or old game that the two of you will never have a chance to play together. If confronted with the possibility of actually having to play the game they claim superiority in, excuses will be made and they will leave the encounter abruptly. A variation is when they claim to only like the older version of a currently popular game, often two or more generations old.

Submitted by Chuck the Landslide

Dont laugh at me you jackwagon!!

This should be in the armory come thursday. Genius stuff my friend!!
You don't seem OFFENDED enough by my post so I created a new scrub in your honor!

Reactions: HRD
According to this list, I am still a secret scrub waiting to be unmasked!

and now my statement has been made false by the edit that happened moments ago...

It's always a pleasure to beat the one-string scrubs. Normally I would want to give them some tips, but that bullshit deserves no mercy. I still remember my numerous losses against these one-string scrubs when I was learning everything while following THE PROTOCOL ... like a fool.

So non-scrubs:
  1. Can't be bad
  2. Can't spam one string
  3. Can't win consectuively or boast
  4. Can't talk theory
  5. Can't like a character, and stick with them through hard times
  6. Can't post or comment on videos
  7. Can't give people advice, or point out broken moves/strings (see no. 2)
  8. Can't be good
  9. Can't be 30+ years old male.
In other words... non-scrubs don't exist. So, scrubs don't exist either :)

This is really stupid.

Way to invalidate people who win on a local levels wins. Which is never ok.

Oh I lost to SC3 hwang and called him gay as shit? guess im a scrub

For a community that needs to grow it's weird that all I ever see is scrub/new player bashing. No one wants to help anyone. ehh oh well. I guess the sc community will continue to be mocked by the rest of the fighting game world.

For a community that needs to grow it's weird that all I ever see is scrub/new player bashing. No one wants to help anyone. ehh oh well. I guess the sc community will continue to be mocked by the rest of the fighting game world.

It's not even that serious. Calm down.

Also moved thread since it doesn't specifically pertain to SCV since scrubs are everywhere.

I'm in the situation of #6, but hate being that way. I LOVE new competition coming into town and kicking my ass. Gives me a blood rush.

The Style-Over-Skill Scrub

Spends weeks practising the most ridiculously hard combos, but doesn't know how to land one if the opponent fights back, or blocks.

Likes to use certain attacks just because they look cool. No matter how worthless they are.
Usually also knows the names for every attack in the command list.

Back