Vader's Top Ten

AshnardZero

[09] Warrior
As requested in another...uh...the other thread, I'll list Vader's top ten moves (or at least what I think works well).

:B::B:
Effective, though not all that fast. Sets up for combos if hit on counter (or if the second hit connects)
:4::B:
Very fast, and somewhat safe. Sidesteps ruin it, but this should be used as an aggression tactic.
:4::B::+::K:
Perhaps his only good and fast low. :2::A: is WAY too slow, but is good only for mixups.
:1::B::A:
Bread and butter, right here. Awesome for interrupting moves and readying your own offense. Counter allows both hits, and turns the opponents back, so be careful if people have quick B+K back-turn attacks.
:(2): or :(8): :A::+::K:
A nice sidestep followed by a ranged mid-stab. Like the normal a version, just with the much needed range.
:6::B::bG:
Great for setting up combos, decent speed too.
:4::A::+::B:
Another Vader staple. This is a god send for trapping those pesky players who roll around to avoid tech traps and wake up games, but also serves to make standing players fumble, possibly setting you up for a combo. Also great for getting someone out of a stance.
:6::6::B:
A nice launcher, good range, and catches sidestepping on the side of the saber.
:(1): or :(7)::A::B:
Good for catching side stepping, and is a natural combo. Not bad.
:2::3::6::A::+::B:
Seldom used, but great range, and guard breaks. It hurts the force gauge when held in, but is usually worth it for some breathing time.

I could list the force blocks as well, but that's subjective to whether you GI alot or not. If so, replace :(1): or :(7)::A::B: with :3: or :6::A::+::B:. Let me know (if anyone cares, hahaha) if there's anything I missed.

Top 3 in no particular order
3B+K decent speed, great range, reasonably safe, leads to decent combo damage on hit, mix-up tool
A+G_B+GA+B Vader has good grab range, recharges force, primary step catcher in close, i17 fast for Vader
1BA The reason people can't just walk all over Vader, i14, NCC, good advantage on 2nd hit

The rest (also not in order)
B+KB terrific frames on block and CH, threatens third B, third B NCC on hit confirmation
FC A+B i15, good damage and knockback, + on block
4A+B RO or reverse RO on grounded, force mix-up on grounded face-up, interrupts moves/stances at range
9K Ok speed, TJ, covers distance well and safely
44B(A+BG) i18 launcher, -0 on block with cancel, hits grounded
3KB primary tech trap
FC A not as good as some, but Vader needs all the speed he can get, nice range

I've only recently been learning a lot about Vader and my impression is that every top 10 list should have 4AA in it. it's steppable one side which is stupid but...
39 damage high high string where you CAN'T duck the second hit on block??? it just seems odd to me, but in a good way for vader

also 4B should be number 1 on everyone list cause it's godlike for multiple reasons

Top 10 and in no particular order:

1BA
4B+K
6A+B options
66B
44B
FCA
A+B
FCA+B
4B

Of course, this doesn't include throws which are a big part in Anakin's game because of his huge range.

1BA
33_99A+K
11_77AB
FC A+B
4B
3B
force pickup
11_77K
22_88K

The last three are kind of just for fun, but they have their uses as well. The flying front flip heel drop is like Rock's Superman elbow but even better because it has good frames on block. The running shin kick is my alternative to 4B+K, when I don't feel like using force, and it has better frames on block and hit. 22_88K isn't all that useful in reality, but I make it a point to use it because Vader extends his leg so far out it's funny as hell; I also use it as a combo when people can't shake the BB stun. The main reason for using these moves is that they have the most funniest animations for attacks in the game and Vader makes those weird GRRRRRAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGHHH noises all the while.

yeah it's good to have 11K and 22K on your list, for they bring lolz whereever they go! I approve!

Here's my current opinion on the top 11. Why top 11? Because I like to go one step beyond. :P

4B
1BA
3B+K
4A+B
B+K (and it's variations)
wr aG~VFC
Force Parry A_B
4B+K
A+G_B+GA+B
FC 2A
2[A+B]

1BA
4B
Throws
Force Parrys
B/BB
FC2A+B (God I spam this so much even though I shouldn't)
Force cancels in general
3B+K
2[A+B] (Only from watching Oof)

Honorable Mentions: 3KB, 66A+K, 22B

Btw, just wondering, why does everyone like force pickups so much? They use hella force and are kinda inconsistent. For me at least, but I'm probably using them wrong. I usually only use them for 3B reverse RO

Nukleurfire, I listed 4A+B not only because it force pickups, but because it makes the opponent wobble, stops them from running in, and can throw off their flow even at a distance.

The only things that I really disagree with in your list are 11K and FC A+B. 11K is pretty slow, basically as slow as Mitsu or Sophi's 1A. So while it works great online, offline an opponent who has experience fighting Vader will be able to recognize it and block it on reaction. I'm not saying that this move shouldn't be used, because after all it is safe (except against Amy), it's just not a move that should be relied on as his main low. 4B+K and 1K are much better for that.

The reason I don't like FC A+B is because of the amount of force it uses. It just uses too much, so I like keeping it as a last resort only, or if I know that it will give me the win. Otherwise I stick to FC A as his main high speed move from FC.

Also, I prefer B+KB over BB, because it has better frames on block, and can more easily be CH confirmed.

^^ 2nd on FC A+B..like you said end of round thing(and its not left out on uses which it definitely has in certain situations)..but it also has some good uses when you got a full force meter running which it then uses less force meter gauge....but def not one of my top 10 used moves...

. and semi-cool mention about 11k(on 2p side) if Vader is wearing the cape costume its a bit more trickier to see the difference from 22_88k..(at the end it is more noticeable) but in the beginning animations(especially on a darker stage lighting)..the body language shows him leaning back/side as his foot is coming out which happens to be very similar to both 11_77k and 88_22K

i have a few attacks that keep jumping in and out of my top 10 so i'll leave it out of here for now..

Oof:
I just don't really see how it's useful, being - on hit. I guess -2 isn't the end of the world, but... Could you give an example of proper usage?
Yeah I know I shouldn't use it, but it's really addicting.
Yep, I'm an online player. I guess I could give 1K a try. - on hit is a pet peeve of mine. I guess I could use it as a force parry setup.
Ah... I know I shouldn't use FCA+B for exactly that reason, but aside from force usage, it's properties are so good. I'll try FC2A. It's a little less impressive looking, but at least it won't make me do the retarded batman.
Ironically, I dislike B+KB for how much force it uses. Which is minimal, however, being a dick and randomly finishing and canceling BB strings is a large part of my lag-tactic game. I'll try to integrate it, though.

Thanks for the help!

Oof:
I just don't really see how it's useful, being - on hit. I guess -2 isn't the end of the world, but... Could you give an example of proper usage?
4A+B, especially at mid to far range, gives you the opportunity to run in and initiate a mixup, because it tends to freeze people after they get hit by it, because the wobble makes them think they're at disadvantage on hit, when in fact like you said, Vader is at -2. And even if they do realize Vader is at -, and take advantage of it, you can still bait for 4A+B on CH and secure your advantage, since on CH Vader is at +5. You have to be careful with it up close though, because certain characters such as Amy can easily punish it on block.

In short, it's just a great move to throw off their flow and make them more cautious at a distance.

4A+B, especially at mid to far range, gives you the opportunity to run in and initiate a mixup, because it tends to freeze people after they get hit by it, because the wobble makes them think they're at disadvantage on hit, when in fact like you said, Vader is at -2. And even if they do realize Vader is at -, and take advantage of it, you can still bait for 4A+B on CH and secure your advantage, since on CH Vader is at +5. You have to be careful with it up close though, because certain characters such as Amy can easily punish it on block.

In short, it's just a great move to throw off their flow and make them more cautious at a distance.

Oh ok. I'll try to use it more often.

1. 1ba
2.4b
3.bb
4.aa
5.44b
6.66b
7.4A+B
8.2A+B
9.1A+B
10.4A+B

Yup those are my top ten

Hmm I see that i must start double checking post again and i do love me some 4A+B but i probably meant to put 4B+K

I think I'll just do a top 5, I don't have that many favorites :P

1.44B
2.6A+B (Both follow-ups)
3.4A+B
4.6BbG
5.3B

I think these are my most frequent used when I play Vader, 44B is just my favorite move for him. Fast, good range, can RO, etc.

Although wr B+K is a very good move, especially for RO's, I feel there are still many moves more important than it, that's why I never included it in my list. Although looking back at my top 11 list, I would probably replace the 11th listed move with it now.

Back