Valid reasons to warrant a Ban.

Alex. J : You're missing my points. You're only seeing parts of what I wrote, and only what you prefer.

Algol is banned in France because and that's the most important reason : he completely changes the way the game is played. And that's a fact, it's not an opinion.
... or perhaps you think the way SoulCalibur 4 is meant to be played is "the algol's way" ...

SW characters ARE a marketing tool, it's not an opinion. It's just like Link, Heiachi and Spawn in SoulCalibur2. They were in no way broken but they were banned. Ok, because they are console exclusive but...

The fact that some people wants to allow Yoda/Vader because you can BUY them is like saying you should buy a Xbox/PS2 because you'd allow Link/Heiachi/Spawn (if I take a SC2 exemple). That's ridiculous, no matter how cheap it is.

As for Starkiller... it's another story.

I like how "marketing tool" is emerging as the hot new meaninglessness. The whole game's a marketing tool. Every single thing about it that makes it not Soul Calibur 3 is a marketing tool.

I'm glad there are still sensible people who see where I'm coming from, and not spouting stupid analogies that are irrelevant to my decision.
Okay, I want to stop tearing down your english already: but it's a hypothetical, not an analogy. Here's another hypothetical for you:

<hypothetical>

Event #1: All bans are lifted.
Event #2: Star Wars fans show up to tournaments.
Event #3: Star Wars fans get crushed by experienced players, experienced players use weak Star Wars characters to humiliate scrubs that they were going to humiliate anyway.

Consequences: Pros stop using Yoda in serious matches almost right away when they start getting CF'ed every round. Crushed Star Wars fans are forced to pick up characters that they saw setting a good example, or die. Now we have a bigger community, and all the good that comes with that.

</hypothetical> Tell me how that's wrong. What part of that is crazy?

It's not going to be an overwhelming phenomenon, and we're already missing the boat to a degree, but each city might pick up an additional guy or two from time to time, and a fraction of them might come to see what we see if they're lucky. Star Wars could be a stronger recruiting tool than Zelda was for SC2. It already is, but we could be capitalizing on it better.

Algol is banned in France because and that's the most important reason : he completely changes the way the game is played. And that's a fact, it's not an opinion.
... or perhaps you think the way SoulCalibur 4 is meant to be played is "the algol's way" ...

Bullshit. He does not completely change the way the game is played. You really think ALL your offensive and defensive tools fly out the window against Algol/Yoda/other unique new characters?

For shit's sake, if I'm playing Nightmare I can use a larger section of my movelist against Algol than against Cass or Yoshi.

SW characters ARE a marketing tool, it's not an opinion.

It's also irrelevant. Yoshi in SC was a marketing tool from the more popular Tekken series. Snake and Sonic were marketing tools in SSBB. Hell, SSB and the Capcom VS series may as well be entire marketing tools in and of themselves.

Ivy's boobs have been marketing tools since her inception. Ban her.

Bullshit. He does not completely change the way the game is played. You really think ALL your offensive and defensive tools fly out the window against Algol/Yoda/other unique new characters?

For shit's sake, if I'm playing Nightmare I can use a larger section of my movelist against Algol than against Cass or Yoshi.

Yeah, but they don't know that. To know that, why, that'd take some thinking on their part. Yeah, he has a big advantage over characters. So does Sophie, Hilde, and fucking Voldo.

You would still want that, and so would other whiners, but it wouldn't go through because all by itself it wouldn't be enough to merit banning a weak character. It's the superficial shit that's really getting your work done here.

Gotta love how you guys define whiners= disagree with you.

I could just as easily say you're whining because you want these characters legal.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying that you guys don't have a point, because you do, but the other side has a valid point as well. Ultimately there has to be a balance between the SRK mentality (Sarah Palin batshit) and the Smash mentality (Dennis Kucinich batshit) .

Yes, the Star Wars characters are a marketing tool.

Why not use it to our advantage?

They can help in bringing new players to the tourney scene. I mean, even casual/new players getting into the series know that these guys are a one time thing but they served their purpose well by getting them into competition.

They can start with Yoda or Starkiller and then later on they could like a regular SC character and you have gained a possible player that could be a great one.

Why ban them when they can be a good asset to that very thing which is the tourney scene?

Gotta love how you guys define whiners= disagree with you.

I could just as easily say you're whining because you want these characters legal.

I want to eat Soul Calibur 4 whole, you want to pick at it like there's broccoli in your rice. That makes you the whiner.

I was wondering, exactly what did they change about his A+B throw break.

Less force usage? Better recovery? Is that not like yoda, who cant be thrown, to give SK the ability to be practically unthrowable if the user trains well enough?

I was wondering, exactly what did they change about his A+B throw break.

Less force usage? Better recovery? Is that not like yoda, who cant be thrown, to give SK the ability to be practically unthrowable if the user trains well enough?

It was better recovery. As I recall, his throw break used to leave him recovering long enough for the opponent to simply throw again before he could do anything. In other words, before the first patch, this move was useless since the Apprentice could keep on getting thrown until he ran out of Force.

In 1.02 Apprentice A+B throwbreak leaves him at heavy negative frames after break, SO many negative frames that all characters could get a completely guaranteed damage on him, usually a meaty combo.

In 1.03 Apprentice A+B throwbreak now leaves him NEUTRAL frames after the break. Thus, in order to throw apprentice who is at the ready with this throwbreak, you must throw him 4 times before he runs out of meter (provided he has full meter).

They say "better recovery", but I think the throw break just puts you back at 50/50. It might have been that before 1.03 that the Force throw break put him at a disadvantage, at the cost of using Force to break ANY throw.

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried using Force grapple break to escape from Tira's GS B+K GI throw?

I'm not sure about Tira's B+K counter throw, but I do know that his A+B throwbreak does not apply against breakable attack throws like NM/Sieg FC grabs, or kilik/mina 1A+B/3A+B. also does not work vs crouch grabs and ground grabs iirc. not as extreme as yoda

You're missing the point ... AGAIN...

The question is not them being marketing characters (even though we think they don't belong to the game), the question is SW characters (apart from Starkiller) being CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE.
Not only they are console exclusive but most of people in France don't think they belong to the game. So they are banned.

Tiamat : even you can't deny Algol doesn't change the gameplay.
Besides the point is not being his strengh, if he's broken or not, but him changing the gameplay. And he is.

God ... I knew I shouldn't have come to this thread, I'll stop now.
It's impressive the way you're getting agressive when I am just pointing out OUR reasons to ban them.
You're doing great to give a positive impression of the SoulCalibur community !

Ultimately, I'm going to go with whatever Nationals decides and accept that. Yeah, I agree with the French, but I'm not going to go play in France now, am I?

I sometimes think I'm the only person in here who thinks both sides have a point.

Except they're not console exclusive anymore.

And feel like I have to change my game up when playing against Algol just as much as when playing against Hilde, depending on the stage.

You're doing great to give a positive impression of the SoulCalibur community !

By not quickly banning things simply because they're different or because they don't fit in storyline canon?

I think I'm gonna switch sides now.

I main with Mina. 90% of my moves on block I get stabbed. I can only do 3 moves against Sophie. The game is changed. Ban Sophie.

In MvC2, combos against Kobun fail. Ban Kobun.

In Tekken, Kuma makes a lot of juggles miss for characters cuz of his stubby legs. The game is changed. Ban Kuma.

Actually ban Kuma, period. This is Tekken, not Animal Planet.

And ban Yoshi from Tekken. Fighting with a sword? This is Tekken, not Soul Calibur.

And ban him from Soul Calibur as well. This is Soul Calibur, not Tekken.

I love it. More games need bans. It shows that the players are serious.

Ban the alien guy from Halo. He changes the hit box.

Back