Viola Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

I can't get the three meter combos to work. On the third time of SAN they seem to drop to fast in the combo and the B misses. Any tips on how to get it to work.

Thanks for, if indirectly, answering my question about 66K BE into B+K BE. Though I don't think it's worth a full bar, good to know my options.
Actually, both there is a typo and you misunderstood me :)

I was talking about 2B+K BE after charged 66K BE connects. It happens not nearly as rarely as you may think.

Actually, both there is a typo and you misunderstood me :)
I was talking about 2B+K BE after charged 66K BE connects. It happens not nearly as rarely as you may think.
I see... doesn't seem to change my conclusion, though. If 6B+K 6B 3B is guaranteed off the same connection, why spend more meter?

(Obligatory speculation disclaimer: Slidikins is still at work and won't test this out until much later to see if this information is, indeed, correct.)

I see... doesn't seem to change my conclusion, though. If 6B+K 6B 3B is guaranteed off the same connection, why spend more meter?
6B+K 6B 3B is guaranteed if they block it. 2B+K BE is guaranteed if they don't block it and it hits them, though I think you can do it if they block it as well.

Sooo....have there been no viable tech traps listed yet? Cuz the Viola Tech Traps thread is barren.

I wanted to say that the combo sticky needs to be updated. How is there not even a CH WR B combo or any CE combos listed? I still see some of the N/O and W/O notation near the bottom too.

I wanted to say that the combo sticky needs to be updated. How is there not even a CH WR B combo or any CE combos listed? I still see some of the N/O and W/O notation near the bottom too.

CH WR B combos still need testing TBH. A lot of them are techable.

I haven't updated the list for a couple of reasons -

One being I've been busy.

Two - I've been updating it as the backseat mod of this forum. TBH I don't know why there really hasn't been much modding here especially considering how active this forum was.

CH WR B combos still need testing TBH. A lot of them are techable.

I haven't updated the list for a couple of reasons -

One being I've been busy.

Two - I've been updating it as the backseat mod of this forum. TBH I don't know why there really hasn't been much modding here especially considering how active this forum was.

I'm not trying to blame anyone specifically I'm just pointing out that there is an issue. When a person is learning a new character the combo sticky is one of, if not the first place they will look so it's important to have it reasonably updated. I don't get why there is only 1 SA mod in the first place (I see that you are not offically an SA mod in Viola board). I don't frequent the Viola board but I'm sure this has been a pretty active SA, and I'm sure it will be very active in the future so it really should have a 2nd SA mod. But anyway...

I also think the combo list should be organized by starter and not by meter cost. It's better if you can see what your options are from each starter right there. A combo is only as good as the starter in a sense so the starter should be the focus, not the meter cost. I also recommend using 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% to indicate the meter cost because this matches what you see in training mode settings (though there's no 25% or 75% option in training mode, but the max is 100%). just slap the meter cost next to the damage total (which should also be listed for all combos ideally)

So you thought my last video was broken?

Video

CH 6AB B+K BE 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 9K 2B+K BE dash AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE AAB 6A+B 2B+K BE AAB 66B 66A+BB
I've noticed training and actual matches don't quite work the same way. Maybe I'm wrong but it's possible that some of this stuff you're getting away with in training wouldn't work in an actual match and vice-versa. Has any of this stuff actually been pulled of in a match either on or off line?

What do you mean training and actual matches dont work the same? Combos are combos, if they work in training and are tested properly they work just as well in a real match.

I've noticed training and actual matches don't quite work the same way. Maybe I'm wrong but it's possible that some of this stuff you're getting away with in training wouldn't work in an actual match and vice-versa. Has any of this stuff actually been pulled of in a match either on or off line?

It's actually more likely in a real match, as landing a combo into B+K BE only can REALLY be hit confirmed by punishing while off axis (Meaning after you step something), and this combo requires either you be off axis, or you insert a step before your 2A+B.

And as Cedric said - if it works in training and isn't techable, then it works in a real match under the same conditions.

Maybe on a real off-line match. I swear I can do combos in on-line matches I can't do in training. SET AAB, cancel recall after it connects into SET 6B+K works in on-line matches with all the attacks connecting. In training if you're close enough for the first two A's to connect but cancel the B recall when it connects it does ORB 6B+K every time. The only way I could get it to work in training was to be at a distance that AAB only connects with the first A. I could be wrong but it would be nice if you guys kept this in the back of your minds when going from training to matches just to see if it's only an issue between training and on-line matches or training and matches in general. And to see if it's only an issue with that particular string. I'm sure most of you are more knowledgeable than I am so maybe you could tell me what's up.

Maybe on a real off-line match. I swear I can do combos in on-line matches I can't do in training. SET AAB, cancel recall after it connects into SET 6B+K works in on-line matches with all the attacks connecting. In training if you're close enough for the first two A's to connect but cancel the B recall when it connects it does ORB 6B+K every time. The only way I could get it to work in training was to be at a distance that AAB only connects with the first A. I could be wrong but it would be nice if you guys kept this in the back of your minds when going from training to matches just to see if it's only an issue between training and on-line matches or training and matches in general. And to see if it's only an issue with that particular string. I'm sure most of you are more knowledgeable than I am so maybe you could tell me what's up.

This is a spacing, hitbox and timing issue. It works offline, and in training, no less.

Here are the known few and some of my latest developments:

66B ~1A+B (all)
22_88A+B ~1A+B (all)
ORB 3B, 6A+B ~66A+BB (all)
CH WS B ~3(3)_9(9)(B) (all) --------------------------------- (3) and (9) means max step dash from 33 or 99 input.
SET 4B 6B+K, 2B ~WS B (all)
4B ~2(2)_8(8)*A+B (all) --------------------------------------- * means do full 2(2)_8(8) step dash, then input A+B.

So, spacing and hitboxes are different on-line? And timing changes so much you can do stings on-line you can't off?

So, spacing and hitboxes are different on-line? And timing changes so much you can do stings on-line you can't off?
No, you can do them. It's just that while online the timing changes so you need to adjust the timing you use accordingly.Nothing that can be done offline is impossible online.

I guess...have you guys tried? I can't seem to get it off. Try please. On-line AAB (connect with all) cancel recall to SET 6B+K is easy. So easy it's almost hard to change it up and and let the orb completely return for an ORB 6B+K. But off-line the cancel doesn't take and it just does ORB 6B+K. I've even tried to cancel before the orb hits the opponent. No effect. The only way I can get it off-line is to space myself so much that only the first A in SET AAB connects. I'll tinker some more but it's maddening! If someone here can connect SET AAB and recall the cancel into a SET 6B+K off-line let me know. I'd be glad to eat my words.

I'd also like a more detailed look into SET and ORB AAB links.

I have no trouble pulling off the SET BBB 6B+K cancel, but I feel like SET AAB calls the ball back at a closer location and Viola catches the ball before the cancel. Any insights?

A second curiosity is the ORB 3B AAB CE combo starter. Is this possible? I can't figure out the timing.

PS: First time poster. You guys are awesome.

2) So essentially it's the 2nd best BE because of a huge hit confirm window? Viola is 50/50 mixups all over with and without the BEs so I guess I undervalued this BE. I like 66K a lot on it's own so I'll have to play around with this. I was under the impression that 66K BE full charge was not safe, which means smacking you in the face would be a good way out of the entire mixup. Again, need to test =/
I definitely like this option more than Ryder's B+K BE from a blocked full charge.
From my online experiences using 66K~BE, people tend to throw out 2A's frequently whenever there's a lull in her attack strings to avoid 6B+K shenanigans, so the 66K~BE is interrupted fairly often if I go straight for the full charge. I've been having to condition people with non- or partial-charge versions to get the guaranteed damage off the guard break. Also, I still freeze up on the off-chance that the full charge actually hits online, which I need to work on, so just going for 2B+K~BE either way might be a better option for those of us bad at hit-confirming.

66k be is her 2nd worst be (a+b be being the worst). 2a beats charging it, a full charge is so stupidly easy to react to its ridiculous and just letting it go isn't very good in the first place. 44a be is by far her best followed by 22b be. 66k be is ok but it's not something you should be using meter on often. In fact its something you should rarely use meter on, unless someone finds some crazy tech with it.

[edit] I am talking about using be's at neutral so im not counting 2b+k be and b+k be in this.

Back