Viola Combo & Tech Trap Discussion

damn it... if I do 6B+K 3K 3B AAB 2A+B 2B+K BE, the easy tokido filler with 6B+K B won't hit because B can't reach far enough unless I do 3K from point blank range. 3K knockback is farther than 3A

just gonna do the tokido filler combo 10 times every day, and hopefully I will get this down in a week or 2.

Sub 66A for B after 2B+K BE 6B+K. You need to buffer 66A fast but it will work if B is not reaching.

omg, how could I have not try this? after 44ABE, I just hold forward, wait for 2nd hit and and hit B+K then hit B, I don't need to press 6 if I just hold it the entire time. and if I have B+K mapped to a button, I can just keep pressing B+K for 6B too.

is there a reason not to end a combo with AAB 66B 2A+B? sure it does slightly less damage than AAB 66B 66A+BB and maybe get less meter for it, but it sets the orb while doing a lot more damage than AAB 8A+B

Whiffs at certain ranges and if you want to end in SET pressure, ending with ORB 8A+B gives better oki and more damage.
Basically, 2A+B is completely redundant.

fuck, why can't we buffer 66A when doing 6B+K 66A?
I was combating this just this morning and have realized that, unless it's a very strict buffering time, that in certain combos the launch is not distant enough for 66A to connect fully. I find that in a B+K BE launch combo and a raw 3B or raw 2B+K BE relaunch, 66A is very possible, while I feel that using 66A in a 44ABE situation seems almost impossible.

Even if it is possible in combos that i'm not able to do it in, I honestly feel that sometimes the effort cost is too much for the rewards to be significant enough. Mostly because 66A only seems to make any significant difference in longer hitting combos.

Whiffs at certain ranges and if you want to end in SET pressure, ending with ORB 8A+B gives better oki and more damage.
Basically, 2A+B is completely redundant.

But :2::A+B: gives so much more advantage as a finisher than :8::A+B:. You have more positive frames...the option to roll back is much less appealing...if they stand up and attack immediately they're likely to just get CH...

But :2::A+B: gives so much more advantage as a finisher than :8::A+B:. You have more positive frames...the option to roll back is much less appealing...if they stand up and attack immediately they're likely to just get CH...
Unnecessary:
Reason #1 - 2A+B can whiff
Reason # 2 - 8A+B is more damage
Reason # 3 - If you use the 8A+B ender, 3B will CH any wakeup retaliation, and you can mix in things like 2B+K BE and 6B+K mixups on backrollers. It doesn't matter how many more + frames you get, the oki here is just as strong as you have an uninterrputable launcher and the usual grounded traps.
Reason # 4 - Used after 66B ender, you're left half screen away, that sucks. As Viola you want to be point blank pushing buttons.
Furthermore the whole point of Viola in this build is 'I burn meter, you die' so why would you sacrifice meter and damage for slight differences in oki. Also I just tested in training mode: AAB 8A+B gives more + frames anyway.

Why do people try to overcomplicate simple characters?

Unless of course you're suggesting to use 2A+B immediately to give the stun and consider the followups your oki, but for the amount of damage sacrificed here, in most situations that's just stupid.

66B 66A+BB
66B 2A+B
8A+B
1st option gives most damage, but you have orb
2nd option gives slightly less, like less than 5, orb is out
3rd option, how much is the damage difference compare to the 1st and 2nd options?

66B 66A+BB
66B 2A+B
8A+B
1st option gives most damage, but you have orb
2nd option gives slightly less, like less than 5, orb is out
3rd option, how much is the damage difference compare to the 1st and 2nd options?

For maximum meter gain (almost one whole BE from a single combo depending on starter) you'd choose 1st. The 2nd is good because it allows you to walk up and 6B+K mix up on wake up. If they stay on the ground, 6B+K, 1K will hit both hits and covers all tech rolls. If you expect they will duck for this you can 6B+K 3A into 3B for free.

Dont bother with 2A+B imo, you lose frames. Viola's easiest strength to implement is pressure, you'd better off doing the 8A+B, or doig 66B 6B+K against someone who rushes to get up because chances are you will get another 3B launch, and if not guard damage which is always good for her.

Btw to see what not to do, see vid me vs joel, the damaging effects of tiredness and rage lol

Dont bother with 2A+B imo, you lose frames. Viola's easiest strength to implement is pressure, you'd better off doing the 8A+B, or doig 66B 6B+K against someone who rushes to get up because chances are you will get another 3B launch, and if not guard damage which is always good for her.

Btw to see what not to do, see vid me vs joel, the damaging effects of tiredness and rage lol
Omg you lost to Joel? LOL

SHAME ON YOU SIR, SHAME ON YOU!

I disagree, granted he knows how to play the game but he's never in any set I've ever played him in made me think he's a good player. This is why he's so inconsistent in tournaments: he just throws out 50/50s all day and hopes for the best. There's no gameplan, just hope it works out.

True story, at Cannes on Saturday night I was hanging with the UK marvel players and Chrome Alchemist asked me about this, so I gestured to Hollow and said to ask his opinion after I gave mine and while more tactful than my scathing view, he said pretty much the same thing. Without me suggesting anything to him I might add. Hell in SCIV at a tournament I beat his Sophitia 5-2 using my week one Kilik with little more than throws and GB Asura hecause he had no concept of bait and punish, judging by his defence he also seemed to think GB Asura was + on block as well. 3 years into SCIV this was, lol. It was the one where you met Tsubasa for the first time I think.

lol well I'll leave that between you, Hollow and him, I'm too great at versing aggressive players with char who have range.

Unless of course you're suggesting to use 2A+B immediately to give the stun and consider the followups your oki, but for the amount of damage sacrificed here, in most situations that's just stupid.
Yes, that's what I meant; I would never do :6::6::B: :2::A+B: for the very reasons you mentioned. I tried it out in practice and it whiffs constantly and doesn't have any of the properties I mentioned. No, I was talking about :2::A+B: as an ender in itself. As you point out it's normally not worth it for the damage sacrifice so usually I go for the standard max-damage combo, but if I'm desperate to keep a solid advantage or feel it would be effective to switch it up a bit, I prefer all the benefits of :2::A+B: over :8::A+B: for the low cost of 8 damage.

Back