Viola General Discussion / Q&A

Without a doubt, Astaroth is her worst matchup. At the moment, it's the only match I REALLY struggle with.

Leixia and NM also can be trouble, but I can generally handle them. But a good Astaroth doesn't just feel like an uphill battle, it feels like a CLIFF.

I know a bit about leixa. Gnouzcalibur made a "leixia must die" video. Idk if it was posted. Its in french but they give you the visual. I guess it will be the first match up to discuss.

Yeah the problem with the astaroth matchup is that being close is retardedly dangerous because of throws and bull rush, and since a lot of Viola's game centers around highs, bull rush shuts many of her good tools down. Plus the damage differential is just... ugh. Plus he can fight from decently far away so the orb's ranged stuff is risky.

You can hit them like 4-5 times and then astaroth gets one bullrush into 22B BE and you lose half life. So annoying.

Should we make a match up thread?
Yeah, I think we should. I tried to beat an Asta ai today and he command grabbed me so much it wasn't even funny. I found myself just guarding and mashing A or B in hopes in it would break his grapple. One thing I did find is that when your viable to be rung out and you're crouching he tries to go for an A+G if he wants to ring you out. I tried to just not even give him the chance to attack but he kept blocking, then punishing.

ARGH. I just fought a good astaroth and... I've never been so badly beaten in this game. Holy shit. What on earth are you meant to do to this guy? You're not safe at any range.

Nightmare is pretty bad for Viola too.

Starting to think you need a secondary if you want to play her for bad matchups. I won a tournament using her yesterday. Had to switch to Mitsu in GFs though because she was just getting blown up by nightmare so bad. Definitely starting to think her biggest weaknesses are range and damage differential.

Nightmare is pretty bad for Viola too.

Starting to think you need a secondary if you want to play her for bad matchups. I won a tournament using her yesterday. Had to switch to Mitsu in GFs though because she was just getting blown up by nightmare so bad. Definitely starting to think her biggest weaknesses are range and damage differential.

Pyrrha seems to be a good secondary for everyone with nightmare + asta problems heh.

The trick for asta is to identify which attacks are step-able and crouch-able and punish him hard for them (any sort of damage output for Viola generally seems to be meter burning). But his damage ratio off Knees and bullrush is really stupid for how good the moves are. He's one character you need to maul to beat.

The Astaroth who's been whipping me silly. I rematched him today with Natsu and almost triple perfected him. Matchups eh?

Still been having a nightmare with Mitsurugi though, regardless of what character I use.

Whenever I come across a player online that appears to use Asta, Lexia, or Nightmare I IMMEDIATELY switch Tira. I can beat a Lexia with Viola but forget Asta and Nighty. They are too hard to beat sometimes.

Haha, I just checked the tournament leaderboards. In the top 100 there are countless Mitsurugis and Maxis. And only one Viola.

Which is me.

Haha, I just checked the tournament leaderboards. In the top 100 there are countless Mitsurugis and Maxis. And only one Viola.

Which is me.

I never entered any of those online tournament things. I played 1 match in it and won, but it feels like a separate ranked queue. And ranked is kind of a joke. I've just been playing random tourney players I know online, rather than random matches/tournament, mostly cause when I do play those I never come across challenges @_@... Is there a point to the tourney matches? Or are they actually like ranked queue?

I'm not really sure what the point of tourney is, I only went into tourney because the random match room was empty (because people were all flocking to tourney). I actually fought a few Viola's who were better than me, I ended up beating them with fundamentals, but in terms of mixups and technology they knew quite a lot of stuff that I don't think I've seen covered here much. Just better lock down with Viola's 6B+K and 2A+B.

The Viola mirror match is an interesting one actually, a lot of fun. Funny how neutered your opponent gets if you decide to side-step well though

I guess if you guys want some perspective, pick up Natsu.

I'm thinking "lol this is all I have to do to win?".

With Viola I have to put in like 5x the work haha

Yes but we all knew it would be this way. Namco was upfront about the fact that viola is a very complex and difficult playstyle to get the most out of.

I did all of my training the first week and a half the game was out on Natsu, and decided to go a harder route. Sometimes I regret it since its so much more difficult, but at the same time its much more rewarding. That being said, I think I have to go back to natsu to finish the quick battle titles, as viola isn't cutting it very well vs the A rank AI's.

Yes but we all knew it would be this way. Namco was upfront about the fact that viola is a very complex and difficult playstyle to get the most out of.

I did all of my training the first week and a half the game was out on Natsu, and decided to go a harder route. Sometimes I regret it since its so much more difficult, but at the same time its much more rewarding. That being said, I think I have to go back to natsu to finish the quick battle titles, as viola isn't cutting it very well vs the A rank AI's.

I disagree, I think namco is using the we made her be steppable and love tap happy on purpose excuse. I don't find her difficult at all. Not sure what they were thinking because the other highly difficult characters either aren't, ala Tira, or are but extremely rewarding like Apat. Viola is harder to use than tira but doesnt even get a quarter of the risk to reward ratio she or alpha get.

This so much. Never had any problem racking up wins with Natsu. People still have trouble knowing how to deal with her. Usually if I'm accidentally fighting the same guy over and over and want to just get him out of the way, I pick Natsu and destroy him within moments.

I used to be a Taki player and was really looking forward to playing Natsu, but with all the Natsu players out there, it's going to be an uphill battle to be the best. The same thing happened with MvC. I picked up Wesker as soon as the game came out. But once Sentinel and Pheonix got nerfed everyone jumped on the Wesker bandwagon and it just felt unfulfilling to play as him.

Honestly. If you're a good Viola player you'll be an incredible Natsu player. Most Natsus just spam bombs and AA, it's really pathetic.

This so much. Never had any problem racking up wins with Natsu. People still have trouble knowing how to deal with her. Usually if I'm accidentally fighting the same guy over and over and want to just get him out of the way, I pick Natsu and destroy him within moments.

I used to be a Taki player and was really looking forward to playing Natsu, but with all the Natsu players out there, it's going to be an uphill battle to be the best. The same thing happened with MvC. I picked up Wesker as soon as the game came out. But once Sentinel and Pheonix got nerfed everyone jumped on the Wesker bandwagon and it just felt unfulfilling to play as him.

Honestly. If you're a good Viola player you'll be an incredible Natsu player. Most Natsus just spam bombs and AA, it's really pathetic.

if this ends up happening :viola players will main other characters like natsu due to viola being hard. i will do 2 things:

1) i will mke a natsu match up analysis that will cripple natsu. I will post it in every SA just to make it easier for other players who have trouble.

2) i will make sure to come up with the most balanced requests to cripple natsu.

I either one of these works for me =)

if this ends up happening :viola players will main other characters like natsu due to viola being hard. i will do 2 things:

1) i will mke a natsu match up analysis that will cripple natsu. I will post it in every SA just to make it easier for other players who have trouble.

2) i will make sure to come up with the most balanced requests to cripple natsu.

I either one of these works for me =)
Natsu is already starting to be taken apart. Her entire gameplan really resolves around bomb combos, and counter hits to do damage. And her AAB is so punishable its not even funny. Shes a dangerous character in the right hands of course, but thats true for almost anyone.

Natsu is already starting to be taken apart. Her entire gameplan really resolves around bomb combos, and counter hits to do damage. And her AAB is so punishable its not even funny. Shes a dangerous character in the right hands of course, but thats true for almost anyone.

yeah, after looking at her frame data, she doesnt seem overpowered. Know that i think about it most of the players who played natsu dont seem to know her fully, which is proabbaly why she is OP to some.

Im still going to make a matchup analysis, only for viola though.

Back