Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

Aris, would u mind making a vid of this on ur site? Im havin a hard time understanding whats suppose to happen here, srry im away from the game n will b for awhile so I cant test this myself plus I think it will benefit us other voldo players since this is the first we've heard of this.

I'll see if I can make a video later today.

Im not the best Voldo player but I would like to some help against these Astaroph players im having trouble against online. Sorry if these are easy scrubby things but I just get my head around this persons tactics.

Usually the person will spam 1+a,a (low attack) or 1+a,b(mid) with astaroph, and when I block them im usually stunned. So this means astaroph can run in and go 66+B (charging axe move attack), run in and throw, or the move I hate the most, 66+K.

If I block the 66+k after astaroph does the 1+a,a (low attack) or 1+a,b(mid), it seems like astaraoph can do another 66+k almost immediately. I try side stepping the 66+k but it tracks most of the time.
My opponent can also make another 66+k come out immediately after the first (yet I can find this in astaraophs move list) and it makes it even more harder to fight against astaraoph.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a little f'd up thing. Cervy 66b is BS -14, which you'd think would give voldo a free 6B, but Cervy 66B also, for no good reason, produces more pushout at close range. So there's only a small sweet spot range where Voldo can punish this move- if cervy does it too far out (since 66b has range for days) or if cervy does it too close, Voldo 6B will whiff.

I hate Namco.

sorry if someone already asked this, but...whats the best way to spend meter with voldo?

You can pretty much spend it however you want. I wouldn't recomend doing his 66B BE outside of combos on someone who can JG though.

6B BE can be used as a decent punish. On block, 6B BE gives a nice BS mixup (+10). You recover in BS FC so you can do a BS WR B, or BS 66G+A, or BS 2K.

His LF B BE also gives +10 on block and gives you the choice of going for a LF A, LF B, LF K, or transition into MCHT for a MCHT 66, MCHT K, MCHT A+B~G, or MCHT A.

His post GI game is pretty good too. 666B, 66B, 666B does a nice chunk of damage, or if you think your opponent will re-GI you can do 6[A+B] instead to get 70 damage. If find your opponents back to the edge, you can also GI them, then 1K, 666B combo them out, or 236A+B them out, or A+B~3, CR A+B them out.

His CE is a decent punisher, combo ender in some cases, interrupt, or to go into MCHT mixups if your opponent should block it.

Voldo makes very good use of his meter. You should learn every practical application and use them when you need it.

Hey folks i am looking for a secondary char to cover up the bad MU's of my main Siegfried and considered playing Voldo.
Aside from the typical top tiers like alpha (for whom probably almost any char has a bad MU against), siegs worst MU's are Omega and Pyrrha (to a lesser extend Natsu).

How is voldo doing against those chars, would he be a reasonable pick? What are his worst MU's? Thx in advance

Hey folks i am looking for a secondary char to cover up the bad MU's of my main Siegfried and considered playing Voldo.
Aside from the typical top tiers like alpha (for whom probably almost any char has a bad MU against), siegs worst MU's are Omega and Pyrrha (to a lesser extend Natsu).

How is voldo doing against those chars, would he be a reasonable pick? What are his worst MU's? Thx in advance
He has some pretty bad matchups in this game. Pyrrha and Oprah are two of them. They can punish stuff that other characters aren't able to. Their step punishers also hurt Voldo a lot. He can win these matches, but he has to play safe and not use certain moves like FC 3B, or 3BB.

In my experience, Natsu, Nightmare, Astaroth, Cervy, Patroklos are bad matchups that I can think of off the top of my head.

Ah ok, so his bad MU's seem to be quite similar to Sieg. Too bad. I still enjoy playing him though. Although it might not be as apparent at first sight, i think both chars share quite some similarities. For example both chars are very stance heavy, gimmicky and have good range. Thats probably why i like both of them.

I just don't like tier whoring for lame ass mitsu, so i considered playing a less mainstream char for my second (probably also because i like raping people for not knowing the MU).

i know you all dont want to give away your weaknesses but as the Voldo SA you have the greatest knowlege of the strengths and weaknesses.

i really struggle against voldo. i dont really understand when he is vunerable, could you please give me some advice, tech traps to avoid, tpical setups that people will use, good places to impliment just guard, when not to attack (frame traps etc)

anything to aid me in beating him.

i do plan on learning to voldo but at the moment im still focusing on maxi and hilde.

One of the biggest keys to defeating Voldo is to know when to hit him out of blind stance, and how. But first, some gimmicks to learn:
When Voldo does A+B3 CR BB over and over, it can be interrupted after the third downward hit by anything i14 or faster, so 2A him.
When Voldo is in landfish (deathroll), his fastest option is the low. Your best bet is to block low and react to the mid. If he does the charged three-hit low, you can jump the third hit. If he does the three hit mid BE, you have to JG the third attack. Except after the guard crush attacks, you can always interrupt his next attack with 2K after blocking.

Near a ring edge, Voldo can ring you out forwards with CR A+B, a somewhat hard to react to low (especially if the Voldo play knows how to do instant CR). He can also ring out with A+B3 into CR A+B as well, so your best bet to escape ringout is to step to get away from the ledge. He can ring you out with 22_88K, which tracks fully, but it is a high attack. His only ringout throw is A+G, so break A near the edge.

As for getting him out of blindstance, the most important thing to know is which of his moves enter blindstance so you can immediately force him to block something after entering. If he blocks an attack in blindstance it forces him to face forwards again. Try to avoid using high attacks against him in blind stance, because BS 2A+B will beat all of them. BS 2A+B is -22 on block and recovers crouching, so punish it with a mid. If you don't feel confident about guessing the blindstance 50/50s, you can always try doing a jumping mid attack (preferably one that hits grounded), which will prevent him from getting a combo off BS WR B and will avoid BS 2A+B. BS 8WR K will knock you to the ground though.

Oh, and BS WR B > BS 4K > BS 8WR K > BS 1B can be teched on the last hit, to avoid giving him a free throw/mid mixup.

If possible, learn to JG the second hit of 3BB or it'll ruin your guard gauge.

Never tech after BS B+K or CH 66B or 66B in combos.

If you're having trouble following what Slade said try asking Partisan here. He might be able to make a video and explain it better.

I'm really struggling to see why this forum is so dead.

I come from MK9 where I played Reptile who was one of the most adaptable and interesting characters and our forum was always by far the busiest out of any character.

I'm done with that game now and have just started playing SCV. Always loved Voldo the most since I was a kid and I can't understand why this forum isn't very active. Voldo shares similar traits with Reptile in that he keeps the opponent guessing constantly and seems to have a repertoire of tricks and setups. He seems to be a wildcard, even in matchups that I find difficult.

Anyway, first question - Foot Ritual: How do I use this, is it a parry of sorts? Can it be blown up with a low? And on launch what can I follow it up with?

MC B+K is a pretty interesting move. Firstly, it can be instantly cancelled into after MC 66 hits the opponent, allowing you to combo into the launch. After the launch there's no guaranteed combos, but you can try to chase them down with MC 66 and keep launching them with MC B+K or use the launch to give yourself a safe opportunity to exist stance and continue your offense.

As for the armor on the move, it-
OH MY GOD.
OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND THE WORST/GREATEST GLITCH EVER WHILE TESTING IT.

OH MY GOD.
Okay, go into training and make Voldo do a charged MC B+K. Then, as Astaroth, hit him with 66[K] while he's doing this.
WTF INSTANT KILL BECAUSE VOLDO ISN'T KNOCKED DOWN BY IT AND ALL THE ACTIVE FRAMES OF BULLRUSH HIT HIM AT ONCE AND IT'S 312 DAMAGE AOESGHASDKJGADGKLS

I'll move the rest of this post to the glitch thread.

MC B+K is a pretty interesting move. Firstly, it can be instantly cancelled into after MC 66 hits the opponent, allowing you to combo into the launch. After the launch there's no guaranteed combos, but you can try to chase them down with MC 66 and keep launching them with MC B+K or use the launch to give yourself a safe opportunity to exist stance and continue your offense.

As for the armor on the move, it-
OH MY GOD.
OH MY GOD I JUST FOUND THE WORST/GREATEST GLITCH EVER WHILE TESTING IT.

OH MY GOD.
Okay, go into training and make Voldo do a charged MC B+K. Then, as Astaroth, hit him with 66[K] while he's doing this.
WTF INSTANT KILL BECAUSE VOLDO ISN'T KNOCKED DOWN BY IT AND ALL THE ACTIVE FRAMES OF BULLRUSH HIT HIM AT ONCE AND IT'S 312 DAMAGE AOESGHASDKJGADGKLS

After additional testing, Cervantes's iGDR (and all GDR variants) are also capable of doing this. Aeon's 4B+K and 4B+K~G work as well. Aeon's 66K scores two hits despite being a single-hit attack. Testing more.

Alright, so yeah. If a move has more than 1 active frame, it'll hit an additional time for every active frame after that. I'll test a list of moves that give absurd damage as a result of this glitch:
Astaroth: all bullrushes
Cervantes: all GDRs
Aeon: 4B+K
Siegfried: SBH K
Pat: 66A (usually gets STCed under)
ZWEI: 4A+B
Leixia: 6A+B
Natsu: 66B, 8A+B, 44A

Are you able to upload a video of these examples?

Also, I don't know how legit you feel this setup is:

MC 66, MC B+K , Landfish (I think this might be the safest way to go into Landfish) .... mixup on knockdown.

Can A/[A] to tech trap or B for the mixup.

Those setups both work. Unfortunately I can't export videos (360 owner) so if I made a video, it'd have to be camera-to-TV screen. There are some people on the 8wayrun247 stream demonstrating it right now, though.

Back