Voldo Q&A / General Discussion

What are your best evasive options after 66/33/99K on block?

You're left in BS in FC at -9.....

Does this move have any purpose other than a whiff punisher?

It actually is really solid as a tech trap and long-range punisher, because if you hit with it then BS WR B is ALSO a tech trap, leading to a pretty juicy combo. If it gets blocked, I usually just go defensive and give up Blind Stance.

In my experience, if you enter blind stance without at least being +0, just go defensive. Blocking their attack and getting spun around is way better than getting stuffed while trying to maintain an offensive mixup game.

It actually is really solid as a tech trap and long-range punisher, because if you hit with it then BS WR B is ALSO a tech trap, leading to a pretty juicy combo. If it gets blocked, I usually just go defensive and give up Blind Stance.

In my experience, if you enter blind stance without at least being +0, just go defensive. Blocking their attack and getting spun around is way better than getting stuffed while trying to maintain an offensive mixup game.

But aren't you effectively encouraging the opponent to hit you when you enter BS, even in -frames? I just don't know what to do when stuck in BS FC and disadvantage.

It feels like moves like BS B+K, BS 2A, BS 2B+K and 1B were intended to beat follow ups when at disadvantage.

I might be wrong but I was just under the impression that he's designed for blowing up counter offences.....

Your tools, in BS, at a disadvantage are:

2A, 6B6B, 2A+B, Throws, 9KB, 4B, B+K, and sidestep -> 22B.

I'm talking about small disadvantages here (-2 to -4), not moderate ones (-9) - the game here starts with 6B6B, which is fast (i15) and guarantees a nice chunk of damage. Importantly, it's fast enough that its generally precludes an opponent using good, slow tracking moves. Once you've limited the opponent to fast moves...

2A beats almost anything they do that isn't a 2A (Voldo's BS 2A is excellent, barring range issues)
4B and 9KB beat lows - if they do a slow-ish low, 4B gets a counterhit and you get a nice chunk of damage.
B+K thumps opponent's 2As, and throws will get around an awful lot of stuff, particularly if the move does not track well to their left.
Finally, 22B guarantees 104 damage on a normal hit if you have meter. Simply sidestepping if you smell a B,B and hitting with this move is pretty fantastic risk-reward for you.

-Cross (Edit: Should note that didn't really include 2A+B. It's a risky move to do at a disadvantage. It isn't fast, if it doesn't evade, you're getting CH'd. And good players, faced with the above mix-up, will frequently just block. And then spot-block the 2A+B, and punish with whatever the eff they want, because you're at -22ish)

Is there ever a use for A+K? I can use it to evade most moves just fine, but even when it works it takes so long to recover that I eat a sword to the face.

Is there ever a use for A+K? I can use it to evade most moves just fine, but even when it works it takes so long to recover that I eat a sword to the face.
I've only ever found one move in the game it will avoid entirely for you to punish and that is Rugi's 2KB.
Other than that it's pretty useless.

BS A+B 2 .......... is there a timing to get the low to hit after the first hit or just as a stand alone hit (without the first hit from hitting)?

In training I get it about a third of the time but I've never missed it in a match. Is it a timing issue or something?

BS A+B 2 .......... is there a timing to get the low to hit after the first hit or just as a stand alone hit (without the first hit from hitting)?

In training I get it about a third of the time but I've never missed it in a match. Is it a timing issue or something?
it only hits if they try to tech or if its a counter hit

at least i think thats all i havent tested that move

it only hits if they try to tech or if its a counter hit

at least i think thats all i havent tested that move

I can hit the opponent in training long after they've got up so I don't think it's just an oki or counter move.

But it's inconsistent as hell.

I don't play Voldo but I have a question: How do I get out of landfish pressure? Atm I seem to just stand there blocking for ages

I don't play Voldo but I have a question: How do I get out of landfish pressure? Atm I seem to just stand there blocking for ages
You can do what Landslide said. Or if they do the charged low you can block the first hit and do a jumping attack to jump over the second or third hit and punish. As for the B BE best thing to do is to JG or GI the third hit.

Also, Voldo in landfish stance is considered STANDING. If you have a strong launcher that hits low enough, (like Cerv's 3B) throw that shit out. If you get him to whiff even one hit, free combo.

Hey voldo SA. I would like to step up my anti voldo game, what are his main frame traps?
BS entrances into BS B+K
11K on hit into 666B
4A into BS 6AAB
1B pickup into throw/mid
(B+K) into MC mixup
Stuff after 66A+BK if the opponent blocks the 2nd hit.

Back