Vote For SCV For MLG Prizefights!

This past weekend, MLG streamed an event where they paired off some of the best players for Starcraft 2 in a boxing-style show match called MLG PrizeFights. They are now looking to expand the concept and have a poll for which fighting game people would like to see on the show.

Right now its between Mortal Kombat and Soulcalibur V, and SCV is getting its ass kicked in the polls, so if you would like to see Soulcalibur featured, then make sure that you cast your vote. You can vote as many times as you want! So vote, click "return to poll" and vote again! Keep repeating this until they "block" you from voting; you will be unblocked 2 hours later and will be able to begin voting again!

Okay, so I just finished with another round of 50 votes and we are still losing again people! Get in there and vote dammit!

This is deeply annoying. It's essentially a contest to see who's the most dedicated/organized/willing to game the system.
Yup. On the bright side, it probably doesn't matter at all. I mean, I didn't see anywhere on the MLG site a statement confirming that "this poll will determine what the next PrizeFights game will be". In fact, I think I only heard that sentiment on the news posts on TYM and 8wayrun. The poll on MLG seems like it's just one of those pleasant "community features" to make the website more engaging. I'm pretty sure that the results of the poll are insignificant. The poll is structured in a way so as to keep you coming back to the site (god damn you BIC "get real" commercial!) rather than in any way that would encourage an accurate head-count.

There were plenty of people who were surprised that MLG would host such an insecure poll for such an important decision. The people who feel this way are not idiots. They find this surprising because it would be a foolish thing to do (which is why MLG is probably not doing it). MLG makes a lot of big, important decisions, and I doubt that they base any of them off of what one dingy internet poll buried layers past their front-page says.The poll is "insecure" because there is no reason for anybody to put any effort into it because its not a big deal.

Is it possible that the internet has blown something totally out of proportion?

Cypher, this vote probably does have a lot of impact on what game is played in the next prizefight. To quote JP from the end of the last sc2 prizefight match:

"the next fight will be going down may 2nd, and you guys can go vote on whether it's going to be MK featuring ?someone's name here? or if it's going to be soul calibur 5 with the best players that the soul calibur community has to offer."

Now, with the votes so close, maybe they'll end up doing both? But anyway, yes, this poll does appear to have some value in who gets to play next.

Also, the poll itself appears to be powered by http://polldaddy.com which is software from http://automattic.com/ - who appear to have something to do with wordpress. So as far as legit goes, if I was some half-knowledgeable half-get-this-poll-system-done-asap guy from mlg trying to figure out what poll system to use, I'd feel comfortable with something associated with wordpress (maybe polldaddy plugs right into wordpress and their site is built on wordpress? who knows, it's not like mlg is known for having a quality website). Or, maybe they just don't care if their poll system is exploitable because it's equally exploitable? (as mentioned before, getting people onto their site and thinking about their product is probably more important than poll integrity)

Anyway, keep it up guys :D

Huh. Well then, it appears I was wrong. I didn't know about JP's statement, it definitely lends weight to the poll. Thanks for passing that along! I'll definitely continue to vote until this thing is decided :)

And, yeah, Automattic does a bunch of web development work, they're headquartered in San Francisco and have a number of products, the most famous of which are WordPress and Gravatar. The products are focused around electronic communication and virtual communities (they also got software for forums, RSS aggregators, comments-filtering systems, etc).

One of the best by-products of this whole thing is MLG is seeing, very clearly, how rabid these communities can be given the chance. That will probably grow the scene and make us more recognizable. And maybe bring higher payouts at MLG events?

Good shit no matter the outcome. still up 2 points, keep voting!

20120418-psc6kb2buuy9ge4a23ktyh3a36.jpg

Keep it up guys.

Live streams

1 Viewers
THUNDA_HAWKE
THUNDA_HAWKE
Retro Game - feeling Nostalgic, ask me why... Join my community !discord - GPG Goals Follows: 200 Subs: 10

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philmckrackon
Back