VS Astaroth

BatousaiNori

[10] Knight
Discuss. This matchup seems pretty hard. All I can seem to do is punish his 6K w/aB. If you get 1K blocked, or 2a+b blocked, Asta gets a free crouch throw mixup on you. Seems he can keep you away and once you get in, you'll eat his very gay throws. Tips?

Up close is where you want to be. Punish 6K, 6A, 3A, 33A,and 6AB with aB. Sidestep a lot, get free launchers.

If you're far away, most of Astaroth's ranged stuff is iGDR punishable.

Up close is where you want to be. Punish 6K, 6A, 3A, 33A,and 6AB with aB. Sidestep a lot, get free launchers.

If you're far away, most of Astaroth's ranged stuff is iGDR punishable.
I dunno man, it feels like I have no mixups vs Asta. He blocks 1k, he gets a 50/50 grab mixup on me. He blocks 2A+B, same shit. Sidestepping doesn't seem to work as 4A seems to own. I didn't know about the 6A/3A/33A/6A, B, that's useful to know

Astaroth is really scary. He punishes you like no one else.
Long range, you are in trouble. Close range..also lol but you can attack him.

The astaroth I fight is really aggressive. He keeps me far away with 3KA, 22B, 4A, bullrush² and when he gets close, it's iThrows, 6K, AA, GI. Hard to do something. On ground, I stand up immediately or else I take severe damages. I beat him 1 or 2/10 lol.

I don't advise stepping. It's anti-step are quite fast with good damages and RO options.
About iGDR, you really need to do it at the good time, else it's 70-80 dmg for you =).

Hum I don't know, try to varie your games, spam little attacks.. :|

Throw breaking is gonna be important of course, but honestly outside of punishing 1k and 2a+b, not much else scares you. He can't punish 66b, WS A, or 3b for much of anything except a standing throw attempt IF he's close enough. Which often times, especially with 66b, he isn't.

1k is hard enough to block on reaction, I dunno how often the Asty you played blocked it, but I'm usually not afraid to use it even against characters with a good punisher for it, I just use it more sparingly and vary the timing.

Pretty sure iTP and regular DC teleport are still great ways to close the gap on him as well, I know they were in SC3.

How much advantage does he have on that? I'm sure stopping and guarding isn't your only option. I dunno, it just doesn't seem like one of his harder matchups on paper, lots of people can punish his unsafe moves with guaranteed damage.

asta can't punish cervs 66b or 3b with his 6k. he can punish them but not with 6k... youre either not blocking fast enough or attacking at disadvantage if you're getting hit by it. i've not tested WR a and theres no frame data for me to check.

6k is i17 and ~+4 on NH.

i don't know cerv enough to give specific advice but ill give some stuff on general asta. first ill say that asta is not as unsafe as people think... he's only really unsafe to i9-12 stuff so people like amy, taki, X etc. the only moves i personally use that are block punishable by cerv is probs 6k (aB should hit) and a+b (i think iGDR can reach).

asta has fairly bad frames on block and has to rely on TC and GI's to maintain offensive. i would personally avoid using too many highs to interupt. you can shut him down more effectively with mids/lows to interupt.

also nearly all asta's gaurd breaks and charge moves give positive frames on block unlike some other people so it should be pretty obvious when he has advantage.

look through asta's soul arena for his block punishment list on cervy and also look at asta's tech trap and wall game so you know when you may need to throw break

I'd say be careful with using too many verticals. A smart Astaroth user will throw in some 6B+K (the impacting chest attack). Remember, 6B+K tech jumps, tech crouches, impacts, and can ring out. IIRC, I use 6B+K against Cervy A LOT. A counter to this would be using more kick attacks, as it doesn't impact kicks.

And like ojste said, Astaroth looks bad on paper. However, the thing is, he's not all that bad when used correctly. Don't understimate his strength or reach (especially with A+B!). When Cervy is used right, I actually have lots of trouble with him.

lol body splash ftw. We have a player in NYC that when we ask him "hey what do you think would work here?" he's like "I dunno.......body splash?" Good move for sure, I don't think it GI's horizontals, right? Nori you should try a lot of 3a+b against Asta, if that's the case. On block it'll shut down a lot of his 6k and bullrush from disadvantage, and is fast enough to beat out throws in that case as well.

Make sure to work in 4g a lot on slower moves if he's trying to work a CF game. If you can see a+b coming and 4g it once or twice, they'll be much more careful, giving you time to just run up and close the gap.

Not surprising, Cervy actually doesn't have any safe lows against the majority of the cast. This isn't unique to Asta at all, his punisher for these lows isn't even guaranteed, unless he can get a free 6k on some of them.

Just a little tid-bit. After picking Astaroth from the ground with 22_88B you can shoot him twice with 8A+K.

For the two shot 8A+K

iGDR 22_88B 8A+K 8A+K then after that, I either do iGDR 28B or 2B+K. Another one is CH4A+K 22_88B... well you get the idea.

*In addition, for most cases after the iGDR setup I end up finishing with 2B+K cuz itz basically the same damage as the iGDR 28B finisher and thus better wake-ups. I only feel like using iGDR 28B if your initial iGDR setup hits the opponent from max distance.

On ground, I stand up immediately or else I take severe damages. I beat him 1 or 2/10 lol.

Hum I don't know, try to varie your games, spam little attacks.. :|

Gotta be careful standing up when close to him. He can do his 2A+G_B+G on ukemi risers.

And as an Astaroth player myself I know that spamming little attacks really, really sucks for Asty. Only things to watch out for are CH 6K and CH 2B, will floor you in a heartbeat.

Gotta be careful standing up when close to him. He can do his 2A+G_B+G on ukemi risers.

And as an Astaroth player myself I know that spamming little attacks really, really sucks for Asty. Only things to watch out for are CH 6K and CH 2B, will floor you in a heartbeat.

In close, quick mids like 6k and 3a+b will beat knees clean, they're both faster than 6k. So against Asta players that like to use bullrush and then knee out of disadvantage when it's blocked, go with these and then force a mid/throw mixup if you're close enough.

If you block bullrush deep you'll be out of range of your 6k, 3a+b should still hit at tip range if they do anything. I've never seen any Asta players bullrush, backstep bullrush yet, so you should be ok lol. Of course you could just keep blocking at this range as well, you're not in his grab range if you block bullrush from far away.

Oh and it's hard for me to get into this habit, but bullrush is easier to step now. That's why they gave him those sideways ones, which I never see used that often.

Yeah, alot of people complain that Astaroth is way too fast for a power character but really its just that he has very little recovery after most of his moves. His wind up animations for his attacks are a lot longer that most other characters.

Hey guys need some help. Keep in mind we had been at the tourny for 10 hours before this match happenend so we where both very drained and we both made some glarnig mistakes that will probably stand out. Anyways critique would be great. I played Nm through part of the first set.

Hey guys need some help. Keep in mind we had been at the tourny for 10 hours before this match happenend so we where both very drained and we both made some glarnig mistakes that will probably stand out. Anyways critique would be great. I played Nm through part of the first set.

The Astaroth you fought was.....well.......very bad. The fact you just randomly threw out 1A and he didn't block it, says a lot. That move should only hit if somebody is doing a move (like Sidestepping or doing a high/throw)

As far as you, you had LOTS of missed opportunities. For example, WS A you just threw him. WS A leads to a GREAT mixup. You can do WS A, aK, BT B+K if they move/duck for a free 3B launch to whatever you want. Or if they stand there, you can do BT 2K to 33b for nice damage. At worst, do WS A to 4KK but don't just throw, you're giving free damage away.

If Asta does 6K, punish w/aB. You were trying iGDR a lot. You had said you were really tired after 10 hours, which sucks but if you see iGDR isn't coming out a lot, drop it. Cervantes can win w/out iGDR. That guy had no idea how to fight Cervantes so I guarantee you would have won w/out it.

You're on the right track w/him. Just take 1a out of your arsenal:D

Back