Vs Ivy

Warning: this is intended to help with understanding the matchup, but is not a "Ivy will lose once you read this" post. Thank You.
Ivy write up:

I. Know thy Ivy:
Ivy In general could be broken up into three and a half characters. Going stance by stance would be the best explanation of how to break her down. Now in general I say this matchup in is her favor 5.8 to 6.4 out of 10 in her favor. To this I say mainly for her JF grab and other command throw that can be inputted at intervals when you are choosing between a grab and a safe mid. Her lows are generally weak but due to he great mids along with her strong range poke game he can get you out and keep you out. Yun keeping pressure on her is a task within it self and sometimes you have to run in there, apply pressure and react. The best range for Yun in my opinion is in her sword range dancing in and out of it for spacing and controlling her. ( Hopefully by the time I am done with this write-up you will understand why.) In that range she has a strong tool set yes, but you will lose alot of momentum going out of that range. Your best bet is to apply pressure with your movement and poking then forcing her to whiff in sword range. Also I would limit the use of Crane in this matchup just because she can force you to auto evade and punish you for it.
* Note: In her BB the second B can be GIed in all stances accept for Sword.

II. Whip Stance:
Ivy is a bit slower than you in step speed in this stance. If you plan on getting in its gonna be tough due to her 6 B+K and follow up. On the positive side it can be GI'd. I personally recommend going for the repel at this range because you would want to close as much distance as possible to GI'ing though also risky I would say go for the repel is you are feeling froggy and want to get in. You also have 9B+K to try to close some distance but at this range you are for the most part screwed. Her whip maneuvers can keep you at bay as long as you want to try to space her. Crane from this distance is a bad idea. Her range stuff can pluck you from the sky or force you to auto evade into damage. On the positive side once you get in the majority of her moves in that stance are slow and she needs to switch stances. In addition to that you step faster. Also note that in that stance her tracking moves are extremely good so at space you will have to walk the Ivy gauntlet in order to get in. Also she does have that 80 pt command grab in this but I reserve the praise for that in the next section of this.

III. Coil Stance AKA (Poor mans Hilde):
In my opinion her 2nd best stance being that sword is #1. Reasons being that she has an extremely good step in this stance. On top of that she has very good versatility and able to transition to sword or whip and throw out her command grabs after GI's, mixups, or punish things. Her moves are no where as fast as swords but she has some decent options. In this range her grab mixups are good due to the fact that she can Kara throw you with SS by transitioning to sword. She cuts off step well but you beat her in speed. She has many moves that can be punished with KK. Also he has alot of lunging moves that she can use to close distance for punishing. Her 214B is great along with all her other moves that you eat online all day. They are great for pressure but leave her with momentum lost. Force her to block after her A+B with your 6B and also at this range you can run your gauge game pretty well. Also if she makes you block something go for at least a KK to make her block or duck. Once you do that thin things will get interesting because now you have forced her to play defense. Due to her step speed you have to worry about being too linear but overall you have the advantage while she is in this stance. Once you get that going just be patient and go not allot her to get far enough away to get into whip. Also moving in and out or range of sword is useful. And remember that 66A stops step.

III. Sword:
Sword is good. Really good. She can out poke you due to the amount of lows she as. Her step is pretty good and he also has that 100 pt grab SS. You beat her at speed with your KK and AA but you lose in the damage department. She has a good distance ringout game. Also he has very strong mids that lead to SS mid mixup. And she is designed to make you wanna get out. Dont completely adhere to that. In this stance you must play more footsies with her and apply your 66K and 44B. You should be dancing in and out enough to also start using your 11B. The purpose is to limit her movement and keep her in sword while being in whip range. You must get in and get out.Crn here would be good for a small string of K:G and Crn A+K but for the most part get your damage and keep her wanting to stay in sword for defense but whiffing and needing to go into Coil or whip. Also in this stance her best moves are linear. Use that to your advantage. i.e 22_88K and uninterrupted KK follow up. Her single B maneuvers also can block Crn auto evade after throwing them out so be aware of that.

All in all I was very general but for the most part the moves that should be in your repertoire for this matchup are 6B, KK, 44B, 66K, 66A, and (2K, 2A) <- Low pokes in order to make the player stop moving. [Note 2. After a 2A hits, 2K is uninterruptable.]

I hope this was of some help. I know I spoke very generally but if there are any questions in terms of what is killing you the most and why is it then please let me know. I am sure there are other players that would be able to assist you on your questions.

-Your friendly neighborhood King Salmon/Tomahawk

Back