What character buffs/nerfs would YOU like to see?

8. CE frames changed from i22 to i19. -Improves the moves usefulness as a backstep catcher and whiff punisher.
Well, as it stands, the 66G bug prevents any CE from catching movement. It’s arguable that the bug should be removed, but in my estimation, the ratio of step-catching CEs that are smartly calculated versus those that are panicky and desperate is pretty low, and the game ought to avoid rewarding the latter variety of usage as much as possible. ZWEI's CE is a bit of an outlier, but CEs like Hilde’s, Yoshimitsu’s, and Elysium’s are already really strong even when their step-catching ability is nullified.

Of course, a speedup for it would be useful for other things (like whiff punishing, as you mentioned). The question is whether the developers made it as slow as it is because doing otherwise allowed for use in combos that were considered too strong (like CE → 4A+B → CE → 4A+B or something).

It’s arguable that the bug should be removed, but in my estimation, the ratio of step-catching CEs that are smartly calculated versus those that are panicky and desperate is pretty low, and the game ought to avoid rewarding the latter variety of usage as much as possible. ZWEI's CE is a bit of an outlier, but CEs like Hilde’s, Yoshimitsu’s, and Elysium’s are already really strong even when their step-catching ability is nullified.
Personally i'd like to see it removed, i made the changes with it in mind since i like the idea of movement being strong but still having that risk of punishment when not used carefully and intently. But the whole merits of this is probably a different topic for system wide mechanics than individual character buffs and nerfs.

I know i never throw out ZWEI's CE in a panicky or desperate attempt, with it among the slowest in the game and having no defensive properties like invul frames, an aGI, any real tracking to speak of, and being incredibly punishable on block let alone when whiffed it just makes a terrible panic button. Anyone being caught by it on something like oki or in neutral either had it coming from some mistake or got hit by the hardest of reads. It would be on the slower end of the spectrum even with the buff.

Far as i can tell with the theoretical buff he doesnt gain any crazy unintended combos, it just makes ones he could already do come out a bit easier. All i can really think of is maybe he'd be able to combo into it off a B+K BE but he already can do that in certain situations which vary from character sizes and strings that allow it to combo.

3. 4B frames changed from i17 to i14. -Gives him a decent punish without meter, a considerably better one with.
Seems a bit too buff to me. ~52 damage at i14? With that range? With the possibility of even more with meter burn? Thats some greek shit man

Seems a bit too buff to me. ~52 damage at i14? With that range? With the possibility of even more with meter burn? Thats some greek shit man
It might be much. The range isnt all that great i think and any threat of damage is resource restricted, which doesnt even go up by a lot if he spends it all compared to the one BE, otherwise he's only getting a knockdown and pitiful damage. What he'd get only with meter greeks can get for free with better range. I could see it being i15 even i16 and still being a big help if it did turn out to be too buffed though.

I think i15 or i16 would be more appropriate. He doesnt get launcher damage, but the damage definitely isn't pitiful. Like I said, it's something around 52, can't really recall. Thats way too much for i14. Not to mention that he can extend with 1K BE and CE.

- All characters : stop tracking 2Ks. It's stupid and it looks horrible. 2Ks are way too strong in this game, most of the time you can't even step them consistently.
- aPat : everything reduced pushback, CE i11, reduced FC 3BB BE stuns, 2nd JFT should not connect OTG after a 1st one, reduced wall combos.
- Algol : 66B -12 block, BB range nerf, AA range nerf, reduced pushbacks.
- Viola : remove iFC 2K 2A/B+K BE, remove 44A hitconfirm, remove TODs.
- Pat : huge pushback nerf, A+B nerf, 236A more unsafe, 44A/66B frame nerf.
- Cervy : 4B BE removed tracking and TC frames, aB -10 hit/-23 block, 66B -16, 2A removed pushback.
- Voldo : Face Voldo should have his antisteps working correctly against opponents (now it's a game you play with your vertical moves to track the opponent if he decides to step or plainly juste use AA/2A/iWS K), 66B -12/666B -16, BB i15, should be able to go into BT without having to use a move.
BS Voldo : overall nerfs. Mostly damage and some hit advantage on CH (BS WS A / BS 66B is plain stupid).
- Every lows/mids : buffs.

Or just change the whole game. Make it possible to be more creative on mind games.

I mean the damage without any meter is pitiful, but yeah the availability of it that would come from being i14 might be much. Even when without it he's basically just gets a knockdown since the damage is so low. And i'm tempted to say it's more average in range. It's not bad, but i dont know if i'd call it particularly good when compared to other moves.

- All characters : stop tracking 2Ks. It's stupid and it looks horrible. 2Ks are way too strong in this game, most of the time you can't even step them consistently.
- aPat : everything reduced pushback, CE i11, reduced FC 3BB BE stuns, 2nd JFT should not connect OTG after a 1st one, reduced wall combos.
- Cervy : 4B BE removed tracking and TC frames, aB -10 hit/-23 block, 66B -16, 2A removed pushback.
- Voldo : Face Voldo should have his antisteps working correctly against opponents (now it's a game you play with your vertical moves to track the opponent if he decides to step or plainly juste use AA/2A/iWS K), 66B -12/666B -16, BB i15, should be able to go into BT without having to use a move.
BS Voldo : overall nerfs. Mostly damage and some hit advantage on CH (BS WS A / BS 66B is plain stupid).

Or just change the whole game. Make it possible to be more creative on mind games.

All changes I agree with except nerfing JFT hitting grounded opponents. The best solution is to reduce the damage.
33_99B should be -13 on block and do 20 DMG.
2A[BE] should do 30 DMG.
Normal Twister should do 25 DMG/JFT should do 30 DMG.
agB should be 22 DMG & not a SLNC/ag:B should be 26 DMG + 9 DMG from fall.
1B:B no more increase DMG after comboing into itself midscreen.
2nd Hit of FC 3B:B should do 17 DMG.
44B+K[BE] should do 20 DMG.

aPat doesn't have a damage problem. Actually his damage, while very high, is not something that's game breaking in SC5 since most characters also deal a sick amount of damage.

It's how he deals it that's stupid : a very, VERY easy character to play once you're skilled enough.
His mind games are idiot mind games : broken lows or throws vs broken mids.
You add to that one of the best whiffpunish game and the best punishing tools in the game...
And most of his stuff connects into easy long range RO or insane wall combos.

Except for his skill, Alpha is easy mode Soulcalibur.

What I would like nerfed is his wallcombos, his RO tools, his pushbacks (since it gives him a lot of whiffpunish options depending on how aPat move).

Damage is (mostly) fine.

Btw, I didn't want JFT not hitting grounded opponents, I want 2nd JFT not comboing after a 1st one. That's different.

I agree with Voldo. This weirdo did so much damage in some of his attacks.

Actually his damage [...] is not something that's game breaking [...] It's how he deals it that's stupid
Exactly. I think his CE is a perfect microcosm for what’s wrong with the character. It’s not the damage it does; it’s a one of the least damaging CEs. It’s not that he can spend meter to get more damage off a hit; every character can do that. It’s that he gets it off something as safe and trivial as a 2A. Likewise, the wall carry and ringout potential of 2143B:B BE isn’t the problem, it’s that it’s free off of a CH 2143B, 44B+K BE, etc.

I probably would have objected to this a few years ago, but thinking back on it, I have to wonder how SCV would play if all the AAs/BBs/2As/2Ks were just a few frames worse on block and hit, or were harder to hit with and riskier on whiff. Among other things, there’d be more opportunity to move around or use slower attacks, and small +/- would be less likely to degenerate into poke-block frame volleyball.

NEARLY 70% OF THE GAME'S 2K ATTACKS ARE HORIZONTAL ATTACKS. THIS CAN BE VERIFIED WITH XIBA'S B+K, AN AUTO-GI FOR ALL HORIZONTALS. IT IS LOGICAL FOR 2K TO CATCH SIDESTEP WITH THE EXCEPTIONS BEING ALGOL, ALPHA PATROKLOS, ASTAROTH, DAMPIERRE, PATROKLOS, TIRA, VOLDO, AND ZWEI.

(NOTE: AEON'S 2K AND DEVIL JIN'S 2K ARE HORIZONTALS, BUT THEIR FULL CROUCH K ATTACKS ARE VERTICALS. SIMILARLY, ALPHA PATROKLOS' 2K IS VERTICAL, BUT HIS FULL CROUCH K IS HORIZONTAL.)

HOW TO INSTANTLY IMPROVE SOULCALIBUR V TENFOLD:

• FOR NON-WALL COMBOS, DAMAGE NEVER EXCEEDS 72-95 POINTS (THIS INCLUDES BRAVE EDGE COMBOS AND CRITICAL EDGE COMBOS).
  • FOR WALL COMBOS, DAMAGE NEVER EXCEEDS 96-119 POINTS (THIS INCLUDES BRAVE EDGE COMBOS AND CRITICAL EDGE COMBOS).
  • PYRRHA/SOPHITIA 236B IS SLOWED DOWN TO i15 IN STANDING POSITION (i14 IN CROUCHED POSITION).
  • ALPHA PATROKLOS/SETSUKA FC 3aB IS SLOWED DOWN TO i13.
  • Z.W.E.I.'S 4B IS SPED UP TO i15.
  • DAMPIERRE IS MADE OVERALL BETTER SO THAT HE CAN WIN WITHOUT LUCK-BASED ATTACKS.
  • DEVIL JIN IS MADE LESS RELIANT ON HIGH ATTACKS.
  • VERTICALS NEVER TRACK.

If project soul is going to insist on having a weaker joke character, please have it be dampierre.

I still think that if Damp could just BE his luck based attacks to always come out or control the random transitions he'd be really quite good. Especially on 623B.

Back