What kills competitive fighting game communities?

What kills competitive fighting game communiti

What ruins the competitive scene? Spammers,whiners, and steroid users like Chris Benoit.

Magneto Vs Capcom 2 ban MAGNETO!!!!
Tier lists that dont make sense
Spammers!!
Cocky Noobs

I think one of the biggest ways a fighting game community falls apart is the immaturity and lack of offline gatherings to try and strengthen the community. Case in point the majority of the Dead Or Alive community. Some of them might take that as a low blow, but as being a member of that community for 4 years, I call it like I see it.

The fact that your username is "BanHilde" and you referred to Virtua Fighter as a bad game is drop-dead fucking hilarious. I think this is the part where you stop talking.

The one and only thing that kills a competitive community is a bad game (with the exception of VF, which has a very tiny almost dead community but it's still there).

i'm trying to figure out if he's saying "it's a bad game but still has a community," or "it's a good game but has a very small community."

I wasn't implying that being good at a video game is a bad thing. I was just pointing out that that's all it is: being good at a video game. Some people don't seem to realize that. Wasn't trying to insult.
Of course that's why I made this quote:
Nothing wrong with being good in a particular video game although I'm pretty sure you don't mean to imply that way.

I'm not saying the best players have to listen to anyone, but some of them think that because people don't attend tourneys that they don't know how to play the game. That's the part I don't like.
That is true, but don't forget there are some of the unattended who are over confident in themselves; in other words they also act like elitist. The fact of the matter is the unattended elitist don't understand what it feels like to be in a real tournament.

Itz like this you sit in the comfort of your own room or whatever looking at someone who's lost in a tournament and you think to yourself Oh I can do better than that. That's an easy thing to say; however, you don't realize the pressure and environment situation you're in that hinders your game play.

With sports that's an entirely different thing. The money, fame, athleticism, practice, and time put into getting to the upper levels of competition of a sport isn't exactly the same as for a video game. Yes there is time and effort put into it, but in the US, the reward isn't really worth all of that. I do enjoy playing this game tho lol
But remember sports had a longer establishment than video games so it took itz time to gain their acceptance, so I would assume in an ever-changing world that pro gaming will gain more of their acceptance eventually.

Yes sports, video games, and other forms of competitive gaming are different in their own respects; however, what's similar are the attitudes and the way ppl participate. Attitudes such as elitism as we've pointed out, but there's also passion, dedication and motivation.

The way ppl participate is how much time they are dedicated to spend, how far ppl are willing to travel if possible and more...

What bugs me is how the Koreans think differently about pro gaming than the US.

I read an interesting quote on the subject(of why fighters aren't as big as shooters in US competitive gaming) on SRK not too long ago that I think has some truth to it

Dandy J said:
A guy from the FPS community, AlexMax said something once that I think applies to this in a real true way (not sure where he got it, paraphrasing): A game needs two communities to survive; a casual community and a competitive/'pro' community. If it has only a casual community, the game dies fast and is forgotten. If it only has the competitive community, it dies a very, very slow death. But it dies either way.

Of course that's why I made this quote:

That is true, but don't forget there are some of the unattended who are over confident in themselves; in other words they also act like elitist. The fact of the matter is the unattended elitist don't understand what it feels like to be in a real tournament.

Itz like this you sit in the comfort of your own room or whatever looking at someone who's lost in a tournament and you think to yourself Oh I can do better than that. That's an easy thing to say; however, you don't realize the pressure and environment situation you're in that hinders your game play.

That is very true, also. I pride myself on not being like that tho. I see what's going on in matches that I watch, but there are only a few people out there that I think I can beat. And, that's only because I play against some pretty good people from here.

But remember sports had a longer establishment than video games so it took itz time to gain their acceptance, so I would assume in an ever-changing world that pro gaming will gain more of their acceptance eventually.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the acceptance, but more so the level of training and dedication to get to the top levels of competition.

Yes sports, video games, and other forms of competitive gaming are different in their own respects; however, what's similar are the attitudes and the way ppl participate. Attitudes such as elitism as we've pointed out, but there's also passion, dedication and motivation.

I agree with that too.

The way ppl participate is how much time they are dedicated to spend, how far ppl are willing to travel if possible and more...

What bugs me is how the Koreans think differently about pro gaming than the US.

If the prize pools were bigger, than I'd practice and travel to them, but that's just my personal preference. I'm one of the people who hopes that gaming will become big in this country.

Back