What makes SCII so great?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyOmega

[10] Knight
I played SCII casually back when I was about ten or twelve or so, and enjoyed it, moved on and didn't think anything more of it. I got into SCV within the last year or so and took it much more competitively than any other fighter I have played before, aside from the Smash series. And every time I would talk to someone about SC in general, they would bring up SCII and how great it was. I remembered little to nothing about it, beinf that it's been ten years or so since I last played it, so I was super hyped to play SCII HD, the game that everyone is heralding to be the best SC ever. But after playing it for a while, I constantly find myself not enjoying it like everyone said I would and find myself going back to SCV and having a much better time. There are two key problems I have with it, stepping is literally nonsense in this game, I don't know if it's just a Maxi thing or what, but literally everything I throw out gets stepped, sometimes even during the middle of horizontal combos. The second thing is it feels like the roster isn't as balanced as SCV, which is my number 1 thing I look for in a game, balance. I don't know if it's just because I'm relatively new to the entire system or what, but I literally cannot even approach Ivy and a few other characters, and constantly find myself losing matches and just turning the console off due to being tired of getting smacked, but hey, it could just be my fault for not knowing the match up, but some characters just feel like they have a large advantage over others, which I'm not a fan of.

So my question for the more competitive players out there, what is it specifically that makes SCII so much better than the rest? Aside from the wonderful GI system, I'm finding it hard to see what all the hype was about.

literally cannot even approach Ivy and a few other characters, and constantly find myself losing matches and just turning the console off due to being tired of getting smacked,

So my question for the more competitive players out there, what is it specifically that makes SCII so much better than the rest? Aside from the wonderful GI system, I'm finding it hard to see what all the hype was about.
im in the same boat here, ivy is pretty difficult to approach and the constant lag doesnt help either. once i actually get in i can make short work of her but that zoning =/

I could just be having a hatd time with her due to the ridiculous lag... but idk, I guess I'll figure out if that's the case after I play her offline.

It's really unfair to judge SC2 by your online experiences because it's not even remotely the same game. IMO, SC2 is extremely well balanced, definitely moreso than 5. Maxi isn't quite as strong as he was in SC1, but he still has all the necessary tools to win.

If you're by any chance east coast and have the game on XBL, I'd be willing to sit down and have a session with you. I'm not a Maxi player, but I can help you with any general knowledge you might need.

Maybe idlemind did have a point...I remember one time he created a thread named "There were no good old days" the thread was him comparing the mechanics from sc2 to sc5. And i should know that thread since i was the one ranting in that thread mostly.. meh

Oh, not to mention that there are literally little to no good players online, but they still manage to get a win by spamming BB and 1A repeatedly and I can't block a darn thing dur to lag.

Seriously, that's ALL I run into,
It's really unfair to judge SC2 by your online experiences because it's not even remotely the same game. IMO, SC2 is extremely well balanced, definitely moreso than 5. Maxi isn't quite as strong as he was in SC1, but he still has all the necessary tools to win.

If you're by any chance east coast and have the game on XBL, I'd be willing to sit down and have a session with you. I'm not a Maxi player, but I can help you with any general knowledge you might need.
Well I mean the game has "Online" in it's name, and that was the largest reason forthe hype. Just to get online and do nothing but get frustrated isn't my cup of tea, if I wanted that, I'd just buy Call of Duty.

But I have a fairly clear knowledge of how the game works thanks to Aris, and Iknow a good amount of Maxi's ppotential, I just am not having fun with the game, and it is upsetting because I actually spent 20 bucks on a less than mediocre game. (For online at least) I'm just curious as to the game really held up to today's standards, or if it is loved for nostalgia reasons.

I might be willing to give the game another shot, but later, much later. As of right now I don't even want to touch it, so give me a week or so to calm down and take a break from it and I will. My GT is MightyOmega1986. I'll be on SCV and Halo 3 and 4 in the meantime, so if you have either one of those, feel free to join.

The best feature of SC2 is Soul charge & 8 wayrun movement system & maybe it is the most balance version of Soul series. SC3,4,5 system design makes people tend to standing guard rather than moving to evade & attack.
SC3,4,5 is too much Vertical tracking moves, so 8wayrun is less useful.
When you watch a SC2 match, you fell very attractive & exciting, people moves very much to avoid attack and counter attack.

But SC2 weakness is a few character, ofcourse, it's early version of SC

Last edited:
less tracking verticals, better balance, faster pace, shorter combo's, easier execution, simpler mechanics.

There is a lot to love about that game but yes it has its flaws.

3 and 4 on the other hand.... are fucking terrible. 5 is great

YEAH, BECAUSE BEING ABLE TO SIDE STEP EVERY HORIZONTAL IN SC2 ISN'T A HUGE PROBLEM AT ALL, AND A GREAT DEAL OF IMPORTANT MOVES BEING COMPLETELY SAFE IS TOTALLY SENSIBLE. YET DESPITE THAT, SC3 AND SC4 ARE FUCKING TERRIBLE EVEN THOUGH THE BASIC MECHANICS AREN'T NEARLY AS DISASTROUS AS SC2.

BUT WHO CARES IF IT'S JUST CAPTAINHOOK'S OPINION! HE IS ENTITLED TO BE AN ABSOLUTE NOBODY AMONG ELITE PLAYERS AND STILL MAINTAIN HIS OBNOXIOUSLY OVERCONFIDENT OPINIONS REGARDING EVERY SUBJECT!

NOTHING REPREHENSIBLE ABOUT THIS! EVERYONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO SAY WHATEVER THE FUCK THEY WANT NO MATTER HOW BASELESS THEIR PERSPECTIVES ARE AND REGARDLESS OF WHAT IMPACT IT MIGHT HAVE ON IMPRESSIONABLE IDIOTS! FUCK YEAH!

nice to see the person above using my style of posting.

Anyways I disagree with Soul Charge being better than Soul Gauge.

Ive never gotten why people care about singleplayer modes in a game designed for 2 people to play

Last edited:
Unless the structure of single player modes in some way contribute to helping the player become better then what's there to be against it.

Last edited:
I don't compare Soul Charge and Soul Gauge. I hope SC2 have Soul Gauge soon too, because many player play turtle style and it makes less attractive for viewer.

Why does Soul Charge is attractive ? Because it makes game more strategy, more stylist. SC2 Yun Sung is very very stylist and attractive. In 2003, I didn't see anything attractive of Yun style. (There is no youtube at that time)
But now, when I watched Hayate Yun style at youtube vid, I see Yun is so powerful and on top of any others, his style is very attractive, exact burning soul , young, openning style -> His style will attracts many girls (50% world population)
-> I'm training Yun with my friend and he will be my main character.

SC4, SC5 has many good combat system improvement (Soul Gauge, Stun combo, new style for many char etc..). I hope some day there will be a new Soul version combine all good feature, attractive styles.

Single mode maybe useful for Soul newcommer. I think so.

I'm not defend for SC2 and denied SC5 improvements. I just hope a SC perfect version

Last edited:
I'm much like the person who made this thread, in that I got SC2 when I was younger and played casually. I personally enjoyed it because just about everyone felt unique, it had replayability from the numerous types of game types, and the story was probably at its tightest in the series. I didn't get really into learning movesets until SC4, and not having XBL didn't really give me any incentive to get competitive. All I had to entertain me was the single player, and wow... it kinda had a radical shift at 4. SC2 & 3 had in depth character bios, weapon demos, multitudes of game types, and very fun single player modes (WMM, CoS, & ToS). For 4? 5 levels of "story" per character, downgraded bios (Chain of Souls just copy/pasted the text crawl from the story openings while adding height, weight, etc.), the plot line was starting to get really convoluted, and armor dictating stats. Now, I like SC4, don't get me wrong, but I've never been a fan of the armor dictating health and attack. Defense? Makes sense, but health should be universal in a fighting game. And weapons should be the sole component to dictate attack strength in SC. As SC5 gets released, that system goes away, but so does special weapon abilities all together. I can kinda live with that, for the sake of online balancing. However, the offline components are damn near non existant. CaS is fun, but it shouldn't be the only thing I do offline when I'm alone. No in game bios, an unfinished story mode that just makes the plot even more confusing at the end, no real incentive to even have the game unless you have online, or are lucky enough to have a strong offline community around you. Gameplay wise, I enjoy all the SC games I've played, but overall, SC2 is the one I enjoyed the most, either when facing a buddy in a match, or playing on my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back