What's your opinion of the Tekken series?

Retrotator1

[12] Conqueror
I've been a big fan of Tekken since Tekken 2 on PS1, but I think I'm starting to move on to playing the Soul series more. I'm not sure why, but I think it might be because Tekken changed a lot in general after Tekken Tag 1. As far as gameplay, I'm mostly casual, but the newer Tekken games seem a little more frustrating.

Last edited:
I'm always been a big tekken fan too, but lately I'm less attached to it. And personally I don't think is cause the gameplay, gameplay has improved. Problem with Tekken is...too much tekkens, like SF or Blazblue/GG series they make too much versions of the same game and in lot of cases each versión is not compatible with the previous one.

And is a really pain in the ass to keep up with the news and being buying a new copy of the basically the same game each year. I don't even know wich tekken should I download if I enter to the store now. There is so much...

Is so hard to make a game and stick to it during 3-4 years? If you want to add something NEW do it through DLC DAMN! they actually do it, but then they release a new versión of the previous game with all that DLC but that for some reason is not compatible with the old version becuse the gameplay is different or includes new features so you need the new game anyway.

I'll try breaking up my opinion of Tekken into categories.

Number of releases:
I agree that they sort of have too many games or too many variations of the same games. I sort of wish they just focused on having the main 1-6 and Tag games on more systems, instead of marketing them as so many different editions (like T5DR and T6BR) or turning them into spinoffs. For example: I wish Tekken 3D Prime Edition for 3DS was more of a direct port of PSP Tekken 6 and kept more of the same features as the PSP version.

Gameplay:
I mostly like Tekken 3 and Tag 1 as far as gameplay. After Tekken 4, it seems like there are to many moves and most of the moves are too similar. I'm just a casual player, but I think fewer move would make it easier to get better at using different characters. Back when there were fewer moves, I used to feel like routinely practicing a character's entire move set.

Characters/Story:
I think the Tekken stories have always been good so far, but I'm not sure if I like how the characters have changed in their personality or visual design. In some ways, it seems like they are trying too hard to make the characters look more tough instead of expressing other things about the characters.

Music:
I understand that people's tastes in music can vary widely, but here's my opinion. One of the things I like the most about the Tekken series is the music, but some of the recent soundtracks have been disappointing to me. I think music is an important part of the series since it makes long practice sessions more enjoyable by providing slightly relaxing music to practice to. I mostly like the soundtracks of Tekken 1 through 4. The newer soundtracks often sound too simple, hyper, or random to me.

Last edited:
Not a fan (or better, i was back in Tk1/Tk2), but is the 2nd FG i respect the most

Excited for TKvsSF made by Namco, i hope the project is still alive

I dislike how slow Tekken feels when compared to soulcalibur. It's a really fun game and I like some of the newer features like added moves, expansion of the item special attacks, and custom hit effects. What I absolutely hate is the implementation of universal costume pieces. It's awful. That, and there was so much hype and talk of dlc characters and Eliza seemed a bit rushed. Her command throw is the same as her left, right, and I believe back throw. Compare her to the others and there's a bit left to be desired. Also, they sometimes drop the ball when it comes to movelist changes. (Lili)

I got into Tekken during 6 and played it more with TTT2 and I really dislike the movement system. The fact that the you have to learn korean backdash for basic movement is dumb. Many moves have very weird hitboxes, making it very frustrating to step moves. I find the oki to be too strong in the game as if you don't side tech or just stand up every other option can get you re-comboed. It doesn't help that you can go 8 then 4 and the game will decide you will want to backroll and you die from a combo. This is from my experiences playing the game though.

With TTT2, the combos can be very finicky as combos can randomly drop even when your on axis with your opponent. I still have some fun with the game but it does frustrate me to no end at times.

I do enjoy watching Tekken, but It's not a game I enjoy playing. I do like Virtua Fighter, although I'm terrible at it.

I started with Tekken 3 and I haven't really played 1 and 2 at all. I remember playing Team Battle with my mum throughout the night. I miss those nights. And even though we moved on to Soul Calibur, Tekken 3 was still dusted off. Then the PS2 came with both Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur 2.

I love Tekken. I prefer Soul Calibur over it. But I love Tekken, even if some of the newbies in 4 through 6 really dont appeal.

Love TTT2. It just feels so good to play really. Definitely an improvement over 6 which was completely disappointing in terms of visuals at least even if the gameplay was mostly unchanged from 5 iirc.

I have to thank Tekken because it's a FG that's actually cool, but I prefer SC series since it's more of my style. Sure I grew up on that along with other FGs like Street Fighter, but I'm not as crazy for Tekken as I am to SC series. At best, I'd want to main my favorite characters at "better than average scrub yet able to hang with the pros" level. However, I'm lazy as I only care about maining Yoshimitsu and Asuka Kazama mostly. Otherwise, the aesthetic stuff is always nice to unwind to like some casual fashion freak....just not as good as SC series.

Last edited:
As a primary 3D fighting gamer, Tekken used to be my #1 series. But after Tekken 4, my favorite in the series, I kind of lost interest in the series. Then Tekken 6 came with the bound mechanic and that's when I started to despise the series. Don't get me wrong, I will still play Tekken, but I don't enjoy it like I used to. I have found that I love playing DOA5U more because it's easier to pick up, but it still has that hard to master thing going on. Not to mention, I feel the game looks better, moves faster, and is just as a whole more fun to play and look at. One thing I do like about Tekken Tag 2 is the Tag Assault combos, but that's about it. Tekken feels a lot slower, which is something I don't really like. I know most 3D fighters are slower, but DOA5U and even Soulcalibur V feels much faster than Tekken.

it seems like there are to many moves and most of the moves are too similar. I'm just a casual player, but I think fewer move would make it easier to get better at using different characters. Back when there were fewer moves, I used to feel like routinely practicing a character's entire move set.
this!

Tekken feels a lot slower, which is something I don't really like. I know most 3D fighters are slower, but DOA5U and even Soulcalibur V feels much faster than Tekken.
I've played all three games and Tekken requires buffering that the other two games simply don't..

Echoing everyones' comment that BDC is completely retarded. Whoever decided to make it so hard to simply walk backwards should be fired and never allowed to work in the games industry again. I don't mind the bound system as much as others, since I didn't really seriously play until 6.

I love the characters of Tekken though. And the netcode in Tag 2 is S+ tier, hope SC6 gets it so good.

I have a lot of fun with it. There's too many characters in tag 2 though. It makes learning the game overwhelming with the execution barriers.

Back