When did you realize you were 'good'?

Mandy

Yes, a guy.
Just curious about some of our star players.

Just to set some guidelines:
1) Please, no flaming/baiting anyone.
2) Please refrain from commenting if you lack any true/significant tournament experience; I'm not directing this towards online warriors, despite the fact that many tournament caliber plays found their roots in online play.
3) Please, no "I'm just a baws like that B)" answers.

-The real inquiry is when did you realize you ascended from a casual to tournament quality player?
-Did something click, or was it particular person or piece of advice that changed the way you played?
-Please share with us your experience.

getting 9th out of like 30 people at my first SC5 tourney. and wasn't even super detailed into SC5 like most tourney players are. didn't know anything about frame data or any of that. just went on timing, reacting, and sight.

I'll feel like it when I'm satisfied with my own performance against decent players that are clearly not holding anything back.

When did you realise you were 'good'?
Not yet.

-The real inquiry is when did you realize you ascended from a casual to tournament quality player?
The casual part inside of me will never die. Im working on the second one since last year. Still have a long way to go.

-Did something click, or was it particular person or piece of advice that changed the way you played?
Slayer_X64 and his SCIV Siegfried tech traps. Mostly this. Also learning the notations, the way frames work and iagA and fighting with very good players, like Enkindu, helped too.

Uhhhhhhhhh I wouldnt say im good but I BEAT MY BROTHERS ASS IN IT ALL THE TIME!!!!!! But that's not good enough i need to face different people but i dont have LIVE and I lack tournament experiences so i wouldnt say Im the best SC player out of everyone because this dummy head has NO EXPERIENCE!!!

I meant what I said very seriously. It is not a troll post. I should add a little explanation...

For me being good, was when i became consistent ... when I knew how to play lower risk, but wiith higher reward. This is only possible with matchup study.

Learning to 2K the way I did in SC III/ IV... with a lot of the other pokes really opened me to the idea of set-play, which is a very Asian approach to fighting games.. mostly in 2D. Its what you call footsies in street fighter... and yeah playing sf a lot really helped too.

any one who learns to defend and punish well, and get a grasp on his basic sets can become good very quickly. hope this helps the rest.

I do lack tournament experience but I do notice a bunch of breakpoints in my skill. In SCV, my breakpoints were:

* Move more or apply pressure somehow, instead of attacking immediatly, when you can't punish. (Learned this after switching from Raph to ZWEI.) I have recently fought a nice player who lacked specificaly this skill, as I did. Also playing as Raph, he was.

* I'm currently learning JG. Ezio is a good character to learn JG :)

I think the premise of this question is too ambiguous. I have no tournament experience, nor am I that good a player, but I would assume it's more of a gradual rise in skill, learning new things here and there. You don't really have a moment of, "Holy crap, I'm good now." but an increase of skill that you only seek to improve upon.

Can't really know that you're good until you get into a tournament and do well. For most people in their first tournaments, with the exceptions of maybe more narcissistic people, nerves would be going crazy because you don't know where you really stand. Don't really know such a thing until you're tested. So placing well at a tournament could be that, "Oh hey, I'm really good at this." moment. However, it's usually followed by, "But I could use some improvements." and perhaps having specific things you know you need to improve on because they're what caused you to lose.

Winning a tournament could be a different story, but the better players would look to improve on what might've caused them to come close to losing, even if they won out in the end. Even for veteran players, the meta-game changes constantly (as it usually does for most competitive games), so you could go from the best player in the world to more of an average player if you don't keep practicing and keep up with what's new in the game. In the same way that a character could go from being looked at as a low-tier character to A tier because someone found new tech on how to use them at a higher level (Viola and Ice Climbers in SSBM come to mind). In that regard, you never completely know where you stand.

TL;DR - It's more of a matter of, "Well, I'll try out competing in a tournament." and then finding out you're more than capable of doing well, than it is, "I could destroy everyone in a tournament because I'm so good."

Back