When/why did you decide to "git gud"?

I stopped playing Soulcalibur games after 3 came out. No reason why.

After skipping SCIV, I went straight to five. I started playing with friends in college who were interested in the game. I admit, looking back I was so blind...

After a couple of months playing recreationally with friends and losing or winning based on "who grabbed the most," I started to take SCV seriously. I went home and practiced every day.

Within a few days of practicing mainly in training mode, I was well beyond the skill of my friends at this point. About a month after starting to play again, I began to take the game seriously. I took my adventure online and I knew then my time of training helped little to nothing at all.

After going online and losing a lot, it took me about six months in total to start getting decent at the game. A few more months to get where I am now.

There are three ways to improve that I know of...

1. Play online a lot against good players. They will use devastating moves that you will eventually catch on to, and watching good players fight will help you develop your skill. Your reflexes will get faster the more you play.

2. Go to training mode every day. Practice countering all of those moves that annoy you and practice combos every day. Turn on the frame delay if you are playing online a lot.

3. Take a break. After playing for hours in hopes of getting better, I find myself losing a lot more. When I get burned out I take a nice needed break, and for some reason when I come back I do twice as better as last time. Resting is just as important if not MORE important than training. My breaks can last anywhere from an hour to a couple weeks long.

Jared The Killer (JTK)

hmm interesting topic...if I may contribute:
for the most part I would button mash with Nightmare in SC1 - 3, I finally got a PS3 some years later. Come SC4, was when I started playing online just to see if I was actually any good, (only stuff I really knew were those scrubby GS strings - 33B6 ~ GS B6 ~ GS A, WR (B), NSS (A) ~ NSS K. The 4KK mash and so on).

The came SCV, for the 1st year or so I was just basically using those typical scrubby NM tactics, the ones who just make every attempt to rush you down. but as I started to play further and met up with better players I gradually started to improve, I was doing less stupid things and more things you'd expect of a decent NM player. Every now and then I checked back to 8WR and read Tiamat's NM guide over and over in case there was anything I was missing.

The next series of events that followed were the events that I would improve drastically, when something just hits you and clicks:

1st event would be meeting up with Silentwall, it was here that I came to see what NM was really about, how NM is supposed to be played, the way he spaced me out blew my balls off, after 21 fights (Silentwall 20 - 1 Wraith). and from then on I emulated Silentwalls footwork and movement and was able to take players on I'd normally feel unable to beat and that gave me a sudden boost in confidence.

2nd event would be when a friend of mine arranged a couple fights between me and DIME...all I remember was my anus feeling very sore and being drenched in sticky white stuff...nonetheless just by fighting DIME I learned how to finally do iagA and just about everything else that was needed in order to be the decent NM player I always wanted to be and I continued on from there.

3rd event was watching a few of DrakeAldan's videos, which were very good and very informative, but the biggest thing was that they taught me how to read frame data. Once this happened all the doors of possibility opened up

from then on I just continue to fight players learning, adapting, getting better, getting stronger.

(also not wanting to leave out guys like Moonlight-Sonata, Menace, CrossofRavens and JonesTMC whom have taught me a lot aswell)

WITHOUT READING ANY OF THE ABOVE POSTS

Around 2006 I got my hands on a copy of SC2 for the Xbox. I ended up playing with my brother a lot, and he would always kick my ass with Nightmare due to my toddler-brain just button-mashing all the time.

SCIV came out. My brother added Siegfried to his repertoire and I realized I couldn't just button-mash anymore. I took Cervantes and started button-mashing with simultaneous button presses and lo and behold, I started to learn a few of his cheap teleports. It went uphill from there.

My brother moved away before SCV was released, and it was just me and my dad. I realized that my brother had just been using Siegfried/Nightmare to prepare me for this day, so I took them both to practice mode and sifted through every single entry in the move list. After learning a few mindf***s using Siggy's stances and proper use of Nightmare's CE, I fought my dad. After getting my ass handed to me by Ivy, I started experimenting with other characters such as Ezio and Natsu.

To date I have 178 wins out of 214 matches against my dad and a record of 25 consecutive wins in Ranked.

S4vjzl7.jpg

Last edited:
Goddamn that picture is massive.

Don't let ranked go to your head too much, it's pretty easy to go on a 100 win spree against E1s. You should see if you can grab some matches with some fellas who have placed well in tournies, it'd help you a lot more.
Fought Paragon in a FT5 earlier. I never landed a hit.

I decided to git gud when I got hit by Pat's 1K. I felt suicidal that I got hit by that, but that made me grow stronger and I became a slayer of VDW, DEX, Jrasta, Catgirl, and all other fuckboys in this forum

Thank you

To date I have 178 wins out of 214 matches against my dad and a record of 25 consecutive wins in Ranked.

I bursted out laughing irl when I read this. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean or anything but I just love how you are exact about the number of matches that you had with your dad.

@Paragon049 Do you have PSN? Would love to have a few matches.

Also, just guarding isn't that hard at all. A general tip is to tap g really quick and then hold g after for when you guard. You'll sometimes get a JG

I bursted out laughing irl when I read this. Sorry, I don't mean to be mean or anything but I just love how you are exact about the number of matches that you had with your dad.
Some families have fishing. Some families have baseball. My family has Soul Calibur.

And regarding the "exact" number, it keeps track of how many matches you have. Since my dad winning is a rare occurrence, we have a little counter that goes up by 1 every time he wins.

Some families have fishing. Some families have baseball. My family has Soul Calibur.

And regarding the "exact" number, it keeps track of how many matches you have. Since my dad winning is a rare occurrence, we have a little counter that goes up by 1 every time he wins.
I Assume The Only Way You Get Wins Is By Playing Your Dear Old Dad. Cause You Suck. I Had To Stae it Cause I Wasnt Sure Your Dad Taught You How To Sarcasm.

Wait A Minute... Dad... Plays Soul Calibur... Hard Raging Di... Never Wins... Are You Hot Rod Junior?!

I Assume The Only Way You Get Wins Is By Playing Your Dear Old Dad. Cause You Suck. I Had To Stae it Cause I Wasnt Sure Your Dad Taught You How To Sarcasm.

Wait A Minute... Dad... Plays Soul Calibur... Hard Raging Di... Never Wins... Are You Hot Rod Junior?!
I could be, I could not be. In any case, I don't "suck." Well, against competitive players I'm terrible but against everyone else I dominate.

Also, he only plays Ivy and Astaroth so he's really predictable.

Back