Which SC is the Best?

I've played III the most out of all Caliburs. In terms of competitiveness, definitely V, in terms of balls out fun SCII and in terms of content SCIII. IV is my least favourite and I've never played BD, Legends, Calibur 1 and Soul Blade.

Soul Calibur 3. It was full of cut scenes of every character, and even had a guest story where even our CAS had cut scenes to shine from. Plus you can view character profile and see their exibitions and hear all of their dialogues, and there was simply plenty of stuff to check out when you're not playing arcade or fighting a match. It would be really cool if we can edit our own CAS exhibition using favorite movesets in combintion to show our creativity in fight choreography. That would be awesome. ^^

Competitively? II
No other game captivated me as much as this one. It is the sole reason I play FGs competitively anymore, let alone have any interest in the scene. A most worthy sequel to its predecessor(IE: Project Soul - This is how to do sequels)

Creatively? (Art direction, story wise? etc) SC1
The single best arcade-console port I've ever seen. Had everything you could've wanted in a game at that time and more. Fantastic art direction, engrossing tales of fiery souls and clashes of steel, adventuring and all that awesome jazz. The series peaked here, I think.

Honorable mention to Soul Edge, which got everything started.

III would have been great if it been produced with half as much polish as T5, but alas, good art direction and music alone doth not a good game make. IV was okay. V, we shall see. Too young yet to pass judgment, but it already loses in the story department(that's what happens when you cater to a wider audience, I guess, still sucks).

The First 3 Caliburs and Soul Blade which is the best IMO are awesome and effort was put into them with cutscenes, content, ending cutscenes etc. 4 and 5 are good graphically and the fight system is a little better but apart from that everythin else sucks in comparison to the older games. However, SC3 was the best to me. The only true sequel after SC2. SC2 felt like a complete fighter no doubt where as SC3 fleshed everything out and everything about it I liked, the more japanese / middle ages atmosphere, the large roster and the fastest paced. It still has the most single content in any fighting game to date. The characters had so many moves, and you just had to learn all of em the hard way. I loved it. Great stages, especially Slip Out, where one wrong move was costly.Characters were had a unique look, like Setsuka and Mitsurugi really looked like they had some realism in their design like Tekken.... unlike in the newer Soul Caliburs they look too anime-like characters with overly big eyes. They also took out the fantasy-real design and overbloan the visuals with so many flashy effects and auras and stuff that doesn't belong in an SC game.. overexaggerating them.

Where as SCV was totally unfinished, rushed and trying to be SF just to get popularity it could easily get on its own. They got rid of characters and stances to simplify things for new players who need their hands held. Taking away the feeling of accomplishment when you learn to actually master them seperating the scrubs from the pros. Then they put in somse sort of stupid button combination ultimate move, that make it just like any other fighter game. (I do like some of them but others like Ivy's looks really gimmicky) Most importantly they took away their awesome Tower Ascend/Chronicals and gave us nothing. Worst purchase I've made in quite some time. (After Ultimate Tenkaicrap)

Back