Why I can't stand Skyrim

damn-I-Suck

[12] Conqueror
Okay.. I know many of you out there love Skyrim, and you think it's a massive improvement over Oblivion. This thread is for people who hate Skyrim. I will list my reasons why.

1) The big map. In Oblivion it's less confusing because it's 2d. The map in Skyrim makes it almost impossible to see some stuff due to clouds being in the way. Plus my north/south gets confused when the map rotates. I prefer simple utility over aesthetic quality.

2) Alchemy. Why in gods name did they rape it so hard? In skyrim you have to go to an "alchemy station" just to make potions. What if all I need was a single water breathing potion to get past a certain part? In skyrim, if you need that one potion/poison to get past something, you have to leave your dungeon, etc. Also, why did they remove the ability to use FOOD as ingredients for alchemy? Now, what's the point of food?

3) Magic. In Oblivion you could make your own spells. It was somewhat balanced because an extremely powerful spell would cost you an arm and a leg of magicka. In Skyrim you can equip 4 pieces of armor each making your spells cost 25% less, so basically you get to cast spells for free 24/7. I fail to understand how this new system is more "balanced" than the previous.

4) Use of hands. I personally like to play a character with more than one way to deal damage or win the fight, without pausing the game. I like "real time" tactics. It's pretty retarded that you can't have a sword/shield while casting a summon at the same time.. Or how you can't cast something like "weakness to fire, weakness to magic" and then follow it up with your fire enchanted sword. All my characters in Oblivion were multi-class types that used many different tactics that I can switch real-time. Skyrim heavily favors one-dimensional type characters which I consider boring.. Great, now the only thing viable are 100% archers, 100% melee, or 100% magic...The leveling system is more like Diablo's, where you pretty much go in one direction and stick with it. The duel wielding thing is kinda cool, but doesn't compensate for the lack of "real-time" tactical switches. Nothing is lamer than being forced to pause the action just to switch spells or weapons, which brings me to my next point...

5) Critical hit animation. It's annoying, disrupts the flow of battle, and is nothing but flashy garbage that adds nothing to the game. It was cool at first, then got old real fast.

6) Lack of level scaling. I've heard this time and time again from Oblivion haters that enemies became too hard as you leveled up. That's because your doing it wrong, plain and simple. My level 50 archer/blade/destruction (AKA all-arounder) plays at the difficulty bar all the way up, without using OP stuff like 100% chameleon, paralyze, or frenzy. He rapes everything. In skyrim, I'm not exactly sure how it works, but as I leveled up things got ridiculously easy to kill.

7) Lack of character customization. In Skyrim all you get to do is choose a race and then you start playing right away. Similar to Oblivion, except when you finish the sewers you've already decided exactly how your character is gonna play out. It required careful planning, and it was wise to NOT put everything you plan on using in-game as major skills, only partially. It required more long-term thinking and skill.

8) Lack of athletics/acrobatics. In Oblivion these were one of the only things worth fortifying past 100. Running speed is an important aspect of combat and should not be overlooked. Plus I liked the ability to completely jump over enemies if I'm surrounded. Why they took this out I will never understand.

9) Boring scenery. Skyrim is 90% snowy mountains, and most of the time you can't even see distances that great because it's so foggy or snowy. I know that Skyrim is supposed to be that way, because it's more north and what-have-you, but I find it boring. Oblivion had it all, blood red sky in the realm of Oblivion, GORGEOUS colorful shivering isles, large cities, beautiful forests, and a bigger world in general.

10) Merchants. It is a much bigger pain in the ass to find the right buyer in Skyrim, and they don't have infinite gold either.

The biggest deal breaker for me is the lack of hotkeys and lack of real time strategy. I would rather be limited to 8 hotkeys than be forced to pause the game for "favorites" list. If your the type of player who just wants to run up and swing your sword over and over, then Skyrim is geared more for you. If you like to switch things up and be flexible, using multiple spells/hotkeys to get the job done (like using a weakness spell, then using enchanted weapon), then Oblivion is more for you.

I know that some of you will hate this thread because your in love with Skyrim.. Please leave this thread for people who hate Skyrim.

The game is just a borefest. I never liked nor will i ever see whats good about it.....but then again, we all have opinions.

I felt Oblivion was better overall (never played Morrowind or anything earlier) but the character models in Oblivion were so horrible that I tried going back to play it and couldn't stand looking at any of the people. I still think Skyrim is a good game but it just felt so lacking. Can't wait to see how watered down the next installment is.

I can't stand any of the Elder Scroll games. Chilling in a giant fantasy sandbox could be nice, but those games are vast deserts completely devoid of challenge and fun.

Skyrim is a game made for casual players to have some fun.Crafting system is broken so you can have insane items so fast and own the game even on most hard difficulty,quests repeat and there are infinite number of abuses that can make you god ... but in this age of gaming 90%+ of the people want some of this and shiny graphics to have fun ...

Yeah... after some contemplation I realized why games in general are getting severely dumbed down:

It's a new generation of gamers out there, young kids who haven't had the practice to be good "gamers".

I'll give you a specific example of another genre that went south: Wolfenstein (id software). The new iteration, simply called "wolfenstein" basically made it so you can never die. Let me explain. The previous game (Return to Castle wolfenstein), if you got shot (FPS game), you lost a specific amount of health, and the only way to get it back was to pick up health packets. Fair right? You get shot, you pick up some health, pretty straightforward. Your health could be anywhere from 1% to 100%, totally logical right?

Well for some lame reason I can't possible understand, they did away with the health system entirely in the newest game (WTF???). This is what happens now: You get shot, the screen starts flashing red bars on the side of the screen (which is really annoying in a FPS because you can't see what the hell is going, herp derp). You don't have a number representing your health anymore, so there's no way of knowing exactly how much damage you can take. Ready for the absolute lamest part of all? If your injured and your screen is flashing red bars, all you have to do is hide behind some cover, avoid getting shot for maybe 20 seconds, and your health just magically comes back. What this means, is that it doesn't matter how much you suck, all you have to do is run away, hide like a coward, and all is well in about 20 seconds.

And then they added in a bunch of garbage with "veil powers" where you can see through walls and go through secret areas. In the previous game, you simply had to find the "secret area" yourself, instead of the game playing it for you "Hey idiot gamer, the secret is THIS WAY!". Oh and one other thing, in the new game, you get a new weapon, your thinking "cool shit" right? Wrong. The gun is totally useless until you can acquire anti-recoil for it. If you try shooting at things without it, your aiming cursor just keeps going up and up the longer you hold fire, basically making it very frustrating to hit and kill things.

Am I just old, and stuck in my ways, or are games in general these days really getting dumber and dumber? Perhaps the prophecies fortold in the movie "idiocracy" are coming true after all.

It's also part of the reason why I'm so skeptical about the up and coming Diablo 3. They have a brand new team of young college kids working on it. (oh god, here we go again with that new generation).

PS: SC is one game that hasn't been dumbed down at all. In fact it's the opposite. Sc5 has a much higher skill barrier than previous games. Thank you Project soul!

SC5 is faster, higher damage output, Has JG (which takes a bit of skill), meter management, guard burst, and quick step. All of these things add a layer of depth that wasn't present before.

Not trying to derail your post, but I'm curious why you think sc5 is less skillful than 4. I'm dying for an explanation.

Yeah... after some contemplation I realized why games in general are getting severely dumbed down:

It's a new generation of gamers out there, young kids who haven't had the practice to be good "gamers".

I'll give you a specific example of another genre that went south: Wolfenstein (id software). The new iteration, simply called "wolfenstein" basically made it so you can never die. Let me explain. The previous game (Return to Castle wolfenstein), if you got shot (FPS game), you lost a specific amount of health, and the only way to get it back was to pick up health packets. Fair right? You get shot, you pick up some health, pretty straightforward. Your health could be anywhere from 1% to 100%, totally logical right?

Well for some lame reason I can't possible understand, they did away with the health system entirely in the newest game (WTF???). This is what happens now: You get shot, the screen starts flashing red bars on the side of the screen (which is really annoying in a FPS because you can't see what the hell is going, herp derp). You don't have a number representing your health anymore, so there's no way of knowing exactly how much damage you can take. Ready for the absolute lamest part of all? If your injured and your screen is flashing red bars, all you have to do is hide behind some cover, avoid getting shot for maybe 20 seconds, and your health just magically comes back. What this means, is that it doesn't matter how much you suck, all you have to do is run away, hide like a coward, and all is well in about 20 seconds.

And then they added in a bunch of garbage with "veil powers" where you can see through walls and go through secret areas. In the previous game, you simply had to find the "secret area" yourself, instead of the game playing it for you "Hey idiot gamer, the secret is THIS WAY!". Oh and one other thing, in the new game, you get a new weapon, your thinking "cool shit" right? Wrong. The gun is totally useless until you can acquire anti-recoil for it. If you try shooting at things without it, your aiming cursor just keeps going up and up the longer you hold fire, basically making it very frustrating to hit and kill things.

Am I just old, and stuck in my ways, or are games in general these days really getting dumber and dumber? Perhaps the prophecies fortold in the movie "idiocracy" are coming true after all.

It's also part of the reason why I'm so skeptical about the up and coming Diablo 3. They have a brand new team of young college kids working on it. (oh god, here we go again with that new generation).

PS: SC is one game that hasn't been dumbed down at all. In fact it's the opposite. Sc5 has a much higher skill barrier than previous games. Thank you Project soul!
Man i got both ''Wolfs'' for PC ... yes ID took a giant P00 Poo on this game ... RPG elements with some map ? Instant grenade toss?Veil powers that give you slow motion effect is so 10-15 years behind ...(Btw do you remember the mission where you need to infiltrate some Missile silo in Return to Castle ?If enemy catches you they sound the alarm and GG-now that was hardcore!)
Same happened to Bioware , look at DA2 / ME2/3 but that is what people want :/.

I actually hated the game so much that I never even finished it, so I have no idea what mission your talking about. I gave the game 2 hours, and sold it back to Gamestop the very same day I purchased it.

I'm talking about the infiltration mission where you need to enter some missile base (in Return to Castle Wolf) .You need to be unseen or the mobs sound the alarm and fire the rockets.My idea was that this mission was super hardcore on Nightmare difficulty and there was no such mission on the newest Wolf ..

I actually liked both oblivion and skyrim. Both games had their strengths and weaknesses but skyrim was in deed too easy and crafting was indeed broken.

I also like to play allrounder chars and to be honest i thought it was discouraged in both games. You still have sort of hotkeys, it only went down from 8 to like 5 depending on what you set to them. I can only speak for the ps3 version though.

OH yeah the sneak mission with nothin but the sten and the dagger? Snealth mission out in a big forest? That was one of my fav missions.

Oblivion was better in a way. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was near impossible to make a good looking girl character.

Back