Will this board need an overhaul when SCVI comes out?

Nyte

Fu-ma's Shadow
VOTE HERE!

The CAS Formulas board was once full of life, filled with people showing off their creations and participating in fun contests, but the fatigue of there being no updates to the series grew heavier, and eventually the board died out much like the series itself did for a while. But with Soulcalibur VI coming out soon, and with an improved CAS, I expect this board will be filled with life again. However, that begs the question, what should be done with this board?

I think there should be some overhauls to make it easier to navigate. I suggest multiple subforums for organization, namely:

The Gallery: The standard display CAS board for Soulcalibur VI. This is where people would post their own formulas, and post their 2P costumes among other things.
Colosseo: The competitive CAS board. This is where all competition would go.
History: All pre-SCVI topics go here.

I feel like if everything is neatly organized, it'll be easier to find the topic you're looking for and it'll make sure nothing get buried or has their attention taken away from something mostly unrelated. Does anyone else feel the same way? Also, is there anyone else with suggestions of their own that could be done with this board? Since SCVI is so close to launch, I feel like the sooner we address this the better. It would be best to prepare for the oncoming storm, if you know what I mean.

EDIT:

I've included a link to Strawpoll for those who wish to rally their voices behind the eventual pitch. Vote to get the CAS board redesigned! Thank you.

Last edited:
I asked @brucege about this a few years ago and he said it was too much work, but that was also because SCVI didn't exist back then. I think we should really consider structuring this subforum once SCVI hits soon so it won't have to be done when it's super active.

Yo is that Gatsu?

pogchamp_by_twitchkreygasm-d81hs8a.png

If all SCV topics get put in their own section, will we have to make brand new topics for creations going forward pertaining to SCVI? Might be a necessary weasel, but I'd like to see what you guys think.

Only admins can create subsections like the ones you proposed, so without one of them taking the time to do so it would be impossible for Bruce or myself to do that. I wouldn't be against it if it could happen, but I also understand that, while active during peak times, it's a reasonably small forum and splitting it up into subsections may not be deemed necessary by an admin. It really is a decision that lays with them.

My plan, again if it cuts to the chase and Bruce hasn't implemented anything, would be to simply overhaul the stickied/master post list and have various links within. These would serve as kind of, pseudo-subforums/directory thing I suppose but it's the best idea I got. Very open to suggestions.

As for locking/removing old threads, I personally disagree as users may just want to continue their personal threads instead of starting new ones, and I imagine the plethora of new threads would do the job of burying those that get ignored anyway. The work would do itself.

If it helps I like the idea of separating the CaS by game as well as it would make the forum look better. It's also not a very difficult thing to implement subsections to a forum that already exists and let's face it because of the story mode in VI I expect CaS to be more popular than before.

The counter to this is that if VI is using the same formulas as V then there isn't really a need to change it as V will remain relevant for VI.

Could go either way.

If it helps I like the idea of separating the CaS by game as well as it would make the forum look better. It's also not a very difficult thing to implement subsections to a forum that already exists and let's face it because of the story mode in VI I expect CaS to be more popular than before.

The counter to this is that if VI is using the same formulas as V then there isn't really a need to change it as V will remain relevant for VI.

Could go either way.

Again it's not a matter of difficulty, it's a matter of only-admins-can-do-that.*
Though saying that, there are presently 835 threads, so saying it wouldn't be a considerable piece of work is shortsighted at best.

Also if we started to split CaS into games we'd end up with subsections for:
- Soulcalibur VI
- Soulcalibur V
- Soulcalibur IV/BD
- Soulcalibur III

Is this what people want? Genuinely I want to know.
If so, some situations arise:
A fair few people have both SCV and SCIV content in their threads, how do you propose these are dealt with?
What about people who don't want to make more than one thread but want to share creations they might make in an older game?

The way CaS worked in the past is that people simply had their threads and interested parties could go and check them out. If you didn't like someone's style you could ignore their thread. Splitting the forum up in this manner means some subsections are going to likely remain almost dead (SC3/4) whereas some will be crowded with activity.

Again if it's what people want then I'll do what I can to make it happen, but you must understand I physically cannot create a subsection. It's not within any standard moderator's capabilities and comes down purely to extra work for an Administrator. It's not "I don't want to" it's "I literally do not have access to those options".

*I've spoken to one Admin already and generally there's an unwillingness as CaS is considered a small niche in the forums.

As I said in the OP, I suggested four different boards (possibly more depending on how it goes) where we split competitive, display, 2P and past games into their own sections. I feel like competitive CAS would be perfect as its own section (because those who want good competition can go there without it getting drowned out by other things), display is where our personal threads go, and the 2P board would be the place where everyone shares their custom costumes of the original cast. History is where all pre-SCVI stuff would go regardless of the specific game. Kinda fitting actually, SCVI being a reboot and fresh start, while the CAS board reflects that.

If we went with that option, do you think it would be good? While the CAS boards might be "niche", it's a very strong niche and could potentially be sustained for a long time if SCVI itself is sustained longer than the lifespan of SCV (very likely, imo).

As I said in the OP, I suggested four different boards (possibly more depending on how it goes) where we split competitive, display, 2P and past games into their own sections. I feel like competitive CAS would be perfect as its own section (because those who want good competition can go there without it getting drowned out by other things), display is where our personal threads go, and the 2P board would be the place where everyone shares their custom costumes of the original cast. History is where all pre-SCVI stuff would go regardless of the specific game. Kinda fitting actually, SCVI being a reboot and fresh start, while the CAS board reflects that.

If we went with that option, do you think it would be good? While the CAS boards might be "niche", it's a very strong niche and could potentially be sustained for a long time if SCVI itself is sustained longer than the lifespan of SCV (very likely, imo).

I will say I personally prefer this approach to having parts for each individual game as that does seem a little like overkill to me.

Soulcalibur VI CaS
Competitions
Previous Games

Is how I'd do it (with better sounding names of course) and have the 2P threads be linked in a sticky within SCVI/Previous respectively. These threads may see more popularity with the lack of official 2Ps and if so it might be worth getting a subsection then, but for sake of simplicity I think this would be a good basis to start with.

I will say I personally prefer this approach to having parts for each individual game as that does seem a little like overkill to me.

Soulcalibur VI CaS
Competitions
Previous Games

Is how I'd do it (with better sounding names of course) and have the 2P threads be linked in a sticky within SCVI/Previous respectively. These threads may see more popularity with the lack of official 2Ps and if so it might be worth getting a subsection then, but for sake of simplicity I think this would be a good basis to start with.
Sounds good to me. I guess we'll need to make new topics for SCVI CAS, but as said that may be a necessary weasel that comes with the redesign and ultimately helps the board more than it hurts it. Guess this is something that will have to be proposed to the admins before it can be done given what you said, hope it pans out.

Soulcalibur VI CaS
Competitions
Previous Games

Now you could make the argument that having parts for each individual game is actually not too bad as it is only one more than what you are proposing but I think you've sufficiently summed up how to best do it for the long term. If another game were to release in the series you can very easily just move all the current VI threads to the Previous Games section and change the name to VII. Competitions wouldn't need to be altered at all. Honestly I think that's a great way to do it.

Now you could make the argument that having parts for each individual game is actually not too bad as it is only one more than what you are proposing but I think you've sufficiently summed up how to best do it for the long term. If another game were to release in the series you can very easily just move all the current VI threads to the Previous Games section and change the name to VII. Competitions wouldn't need to be altered at all. Honestly I think that's a great way to do it.
Not only that, but the boards for SCIII, SCIV, and SCV individually would be pretty dead and it'd be waste to give each one their own dedicated board.

Not only that, but the boards for SCIII, SCIV, and SCV individually would be pretty dead and it'd be waste to give each one their own dedicated board.
The boards for SC3 and 4 have been dead for years though.

But in all honesty, this part of the forums could use a tune up. Maybe something that can separate the SCIV CaS threads into their category, SCV CaS into it’s own category on this particular forum, and so on with VI. This way it will avoid confusion on where to place screenshots of their CaS.

Last edited:
Attention everyone!

I'm rallying to get as many behind the goal to redesign the CAS board by the time Soulcalibur VI launches. In order to do that, an admin must agree to restructure the board themselves, a task that is best accomplished when there are as many people behind it as can be to voice their desire for it.

As such, I've opened a poll!

For all those who want a structured approach to the CAS board when it's revived upon the release of SCVI, please gather, vote and discuss!

Thank you.

I think it should be up to the discretion of the mods of this forum, not some meme poll.

Back