World Game Cup 2013 Results & Aftermath

The Soulcalibur V action at World Game Cup has concluded with lots of amazing matches that have taken place over the weekend that will be discussed and debated for some time to come until the next major tournament at least. Congratulations to all of the competitors who attended and to all of the staff who helped put on another amazing event.

header.png

Soulcalibur V Solo Results:

1. Shining Decopon (Tira) (Japan)
2. Sawazuma (Maxi) (Japan)
3. JAGTHEGEMINI (Astaroth) (Germany)
4. Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω) (France)
5. Rufus (Natsu) (Russia)
5. Raziel (α Patroklos) (France)
7. GG|Kamichang (Hilde) (Japan)
7. Malek (Ivy) (France)

Soulcalibur V 3 on 3 Team Tournament Results:

1. Team KKK: Kira (Cervantes), Keysona (Patroklos), Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω)
2. Team Odajima-Japan: GG|Kamichang (Hilde), RZR | Itabashi Zangief (Astaroth), Shining Decopon (Tira)
3. Team GOLD SCV 1: Shad (α Patroklos), Skyll (Mitsurugi), Lopez (Maxi)
3. Team Super Saiyan: Gohan (Raphael), Saitoh (Astaroth), Malek (Ivy)

Soulcalibur V 5 on 5 World Team Cup Results:

1. Team Japan: Sawazuma (Maxi), RZR|Itabashi Zangief (Astaroth), Shining Decopon (Tira), Hameko (Pyrrha Ω), GG|Kamichang (Hilde)
2. Team France: Kusanagi (Pyrrha Ω), Malek (Ivy), Kira (Cervantes), Skyll (Mitsurugi), Keysona (Patroklos)
3. Team Germany: Fleshmasher (Natsu), Kerrigan (Z.W.E.I.), JAGTHEGEMINI (Astaroth)
4. Team Netherlands – Bumfood (Aeon), Damiendo (Natsu), RcR 10 (Cervantes), Garzett (Nightmare), LLL|Malekith (Pyrrha)
5. Team Italy – MaxDamage (Aeon), Corden (Pyrrha), Asodimazze (Astaroth), SpikePino (Mitsurugi), Rikimaru (Patroklos)
5. Team International – GreenLeo (Patroklos), Rufus (Natsu), Chiyo (Leixia), Silent Joel (Cervantes), Hyrul (Tira)

Results
Twitter

Follow me @MaliceIsGDLK

Sadly, the spanking from Japanese will probably be the final nail to the coffin, instead of giving a motivational boost.
I don't think so actually.

Every single player I spoke to was completely inspired by the Japanese level. Even those like Saitoh, who has often decried the game, were at least temporarily motivated to see if they could reach the level that these guys had.

Wish you could have come. There was nothing like being involved in these fights. It was like being a beginner again, but it was eye-opening and really enjoyable trying to compete. And some like Kusanagi, Keysona and Raziel did a really good job against them in the tournaments. Malek was also back to his best versus the Japanese in freeplay.

At least for the moment, things seem very positive.

Also the tournament matches between Kira and Kalas, then Rufus and Keysona were some of the most enjoyable matches I've ever watched. The Japanese were off the charts though, literally everyone was queing up to go against them and they were all great guys, I think they made the event myself.

Decopon is supreme.
He hase Gloomy and Jolly eyedrops, he can choose the mood even before playin'.
I saw it, I can testify.

for some reason people still don't know how to properly punish Tira :). Also is there actual International Intrest in FR this year?

Focusing on my beefs with the game instead of getting everyone in my country better was a big mistake. Not playing the game for 9 months and retiring so early was another one.

No more.

We'll be back.
Plz when you return make sure you are Rocking the Maxi we need a Maxi Juggernaut in France.

Focusing on my beefs with the game instead of getting everyone in my country better was a big mistake. Not playing the game for 9 months and retiring so early was another one.

No more.

We'll be back.

Great!
If there will be other big tournaments, we will invade.

No more.

We'll be back.
If you really mean it and if you can get Keev back, count me in as well.

This weekend was special to me, so beware the wall of text.

I'm Coden, an Italian Phyrra (and a few other pgs) player; in the brackets it's mispelled as CoRden, somehow it's a deja-vu(same thing happened with an old SF4 vid from a France tournament).

First day i played in the national tournament against Kamichang; i lost and yet it was amazing. I had only seen a couple of his videos up to then, but it can't really compare to facing him live.

Random question: how come team japan didn't get one of the 2 byes? That would seem the most obvious choice.

Also, is there a bracket of the main (1vs1) tournament? I'd like to see who defeated the japanese players who started in the half bracket opposite to Decopon/Sawazuma.

Saturday night Kamichang and Hameko graciously came & owned us in our room, up until the point when the CRT broke down; what better swan song?

I played a few matches with the japanese, and i already have nostalgia. They are soo skilled; even the ones with a defensive style don't go for the cheapest solution, but always try for the most effective one. Very consistent, polished, no dumb shit that only works once. If i could i would still be there playing; even 100 matches in a row wouldn't be nearly enough.

Anyway I felt very lucky, couldn't believe those players weren't kidnapped earlier.

Sunday evening, a bit after watching my FT3 vs Decopon, Sawazuma told me that i was the best european player at the tournament and asked me to play. Even if i can't really believe it (at the very least, i only have theoretical experience in a few too many matchups), that felt VERY good, best FG praise i ever got ^_^

By then the place was shutting down; Sawazuma bargained a FT2 with the staff who was about to take away the console; i lost 2-0, so maybe he already changed his opinion. XD Still those matches were close and i got to nail a couple anti-maxi trick, so maybe not.

Then he asked me my nick and PSN, and when i told him i play only offline he nodded (with approval, i hope).

By then my companions already left for the cars, my cell was out of power and i wouldn't like to be stranded in France, so i had to REALLY rush out; and then i realized his intention probably wasn't to try some horribly laggy matches, but just get my contact. Dumb me... any idea how i could get his mail/contact/whatever, or even just post my thoughts somewhere those players could see it?
(As you probably guessed, i can't speak Japanese at all.)

What else... Vids are incoming; they would already be here, if everyone didn't get sick.

I can't believe NO ONE knows the aeon matchup.

Regrets:

I felt ready for the Asta matchup and wanted to test myself vs Itazan; at one point saturday, i even got him to agree to some versus in the freeplay zone; too bad we found that of the 4 consoles left there, none had SC patch. Wtf? :*(

I also wanted a Viola mirror with Tokido; sadly that was not meant to be. Tangentially, how come the Viola ban is still in effect? The kneejerk ban was dumb, but keeping it in place when Viola didn't prove to be dominant is even worse.

Maybe it's because Viola was banned? :)

Even if Viola was allowed, Decopon might have won Cannes anyway. Also, nearly every character in the SCV is tournament viable as long as people find new tech with their characters, learn matchups and not complain on the boards about their characters being 'weak' because wins don't come easy.

Let's talk about Sawazuma raping with Maxi excellent Mitsus.

This game ain't tekken or SF4, if you want to win, you have the tools.

Live streams

7 Viewers
SavageDrumming
SavageDrumming
Rift Losses XD [1688/2000] ~ !youtube !discord
1 Viewers
ApolloXXXCreed
ApolloXXXCreed
[EN] [XBOX] for one to gain another has to lose /Grinding...

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back