xbox360 vs, ps3

Hot Rod Dave

"Saucy saucy minx"
so earlier this afternoon, I got ANOTHER RROD!! This will be my 6th fuckin console in 4 years that I have had to buy or fix in order to play the games I love.

I have fuckin had it with this piece of shit. Its fun to play, has the biggest online playing community of everyone, and whatever cool game is on xbox, it usually exists on ps3 as well.

I have figured I have dump over $3000 in xbox stuff, That includes games, numerous consoles, controllers, wireless adaptors (that are junk and I dont use)...etc....etc....etc!!

Im sure that everyone knows that xbox360 elite and ps3 are both up for $299 right now. I understand the features of both systems, ps3 has that handy blue ray player, psn is free to play on, has soul calibur. drawbacks are...Id have to start my game collection all over again. I have met some close personal friends on xbl that would dwindle away over time, and the over all gaming experience online is top notch IMO.

A blue ray player?...thats great and all, but I dont own any blue ray movies, I would have to start my dvd collection over again.Well not over again I would just need to start buyig blue ray as opposed to regular movies.

So aside from the obvious, someone sell me on getting a ps3. Are there anyother features that a technologically retarded individual such as myself would not know about the ps3 that could be fun. can I hook it up to my computer like I can with my xbox. If I got a psp can I run that through my ps3 and play it a regular TV (heard thats possible...if so scbd would be a big sale for me.)

I want to know the pros and cons of both systems. can anyone tell me rather I should stick to 360 or move on the much less troublesome ps3??

HRD

wtf is up with ppl and the RROD on the xbox...ive had the SAME XBOX for 3 years(the 1st 1 i ever got) and the only problem i have is the occasional disc read error(which is normal)

wtf is up with ppl and the RROD on the xbox...ive had the SAME XBOX for 3 years(the 1st 1 i ever got) and the only problem i have is the occasional disc read error(which is normal)

Dunno, but the oldest models have a really high failure rate. Mine just died a few weeks ago and I had it since March 2007.

In terms of this thread I would go for having both...if that's an option.

I'm sure there were people who bought PS2's that never failed too.

Hot rod, seeing as nobody has yet to give you their opinions on the subject, I will give it a shot. As an owner of both ps3 and xbox, I have had my share of RRoD's. I have 3 360's and each of them have RR'd two to three times. They are still a good system, and have great features like the new FM player, and community games like 1vs100. Aren't you able to get your system repaired or replaced for free? You should call 1800-4-my-xbox and see whats up. All of my boxes that RRoD were replaced for free through microsoft.

As far as PS3 goes. It's a great system to have, and you wouldn't need to restart your movie collection because the ps3 will also play DVD's. You can stream movies from your computer to the ps3 just like with the 360. You can also hook up your psp and play it on a TV as well. You can also find chat rooms for games that you like to play, like for Soul Calibur, but the only drawback to that is the room maxes out at 15 people. That's still not so bad. PS3 also has a web browser, and facebook. No twitter yet, but with the facebook feature, it can be used to post your trophies collected as you collect them. This is the only feature the PS3 has available thus far.

Seeing has you do have the option to having both, I'd recomend getting a PS3 as well. There are console specific games you won't get on the xbox, like God of War, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Metal Gear just to give you an idea. The online being free is a nice bonus too. Though you can create many accounts, you do run into the occasional troll with multiple accounts on it.

Not sure what else I can say, but definately check with Xbox and see if you can get your system repaired or replaced. It's pretty easy to do. You don't need a reciept.

srry off topic.. origional ps2 only had one fault and you could fix it with a screwdriver, slimline was bombproof!

on topic.. i'd deffinatly go for ps3. sure you can get 360's fix'd for free, but you shouldnt have to, its a real pain in the ass, and most 360 players will have had atleast 3 fck'd xbox's.half the peripherals are broke on mine too!!!
some of the xblive stuff is nice, but i dont want any of it so i get piss'd off paying for what psn does for free.
but for the blu-ray and psp through your tv, i'd do it.

Hot rod, seeing as nobody has yet to give you their opinions on the subject, I will give it a shot. As an owner of both ps3 and xbox, I have had my share of RRoD's. I have 3 360's and each of them have RR'd two to three times. They are still a good system, and have great features like the new FM player, and community games like 1vs100. Aren't you able to get your system repaired or replaced for free? You should call 1800-4-my-xbox and see whats up. All of my boxes that RRoD were replaced for free through microsoft.

As far as PS3 goes. It's a great system to have, and you wouldn't need to restart your movie collection because the ps3 will also play DVD's. You can stream movies from your computer to the ps3 just like with the 360. You can also hook up your psp and play it on a TV as well. You can also find chat rooms for games that you like to play, like for Soul Calibur, but the only drawback to that is the room maxes out at 15 people. That's still not so bad. PS3 also has a web browser, and facebook. No twitter yet, but with the facebook feature, it can be used to post your trophies collected as you collect them. This is the only feature the PS3 has available thus far.

Seeing has you do have the option to having both, I'd recomend getting a PS3 as well. There are console specific games you won't get on the xbox, like God of War, Uncharted, Demon's Souls, and Metal Gear just to give you an idea. The online being free is a nice bonus too. Though you can create many accounts, you do run into the occasional troll with multiple accounts on it.

Not sure what else I can say, but definately check with Xbox and see if you can get your system repaired or replaced. It's pretty easy to do. You don't need a reciept.

thats the kind of answer i was looking for. Xbox has facebook and twitter now, but im not to big on that shit anyway but is a nice feature. Im just so sick of having to buya new xbox every 6 months seems like. My warrenty is over as of about 3 months ago since I bought it used anyway. then it still had a 4 month warrenty on it. Im still up in the air. Im having soul calibur withdrawls and want to get back to gaming asap. Unfortunatly my kids actually want presents for christmas so my focus is on them first. I still got about a month or so till I make my decision. Im thinking of staying with the 360 and buying a brand new one so I can get that warrenty with it. What I dont get is, if you run into a problem with your xbox, and you go through the motions of getting it fixed, I personally think your warranty should be extended from the time ou recieve your new one. But that is not the case.

Thanks enkindow. I appreciate your thoughts!!

HRD

I heard that the latest xbox 360 models 2008? - present have a significantly lower chance of malfunctioning. Just thought I'd let you know as you are thinking of getting a new one.

well i have both so i guess i could throw my 2 cents out there.

Honestly i would have to say go with xbox, but definitely get the elite. Ive had my elite for almost two years now and havent seen a single problem from it. Ive been so mean to it to. I left it on for 19 hours straight in a small space and the heat was ridiculous, ive dropped it while moving it from one place to another, ive accidentally stepped on it, and god knows what else. But it still works like i bought it yesterday. the features on it are great as well. Facebook, the new thing with zune, great online play for most games, the online quality is much better than the ps3, and an enormous community. I would highly recommend getting the elite.

But that isnt to say the PS3 doesnt have its ups as well. Its free online is very nice(regardless of the shitty quality), its enormous hardrive makes is a nice thing to have, the visual quality of the games is amazing, it has some very good titles to it like MGS4, GOW3, Little Big Planet, Resistance etc, the ps3 (from what ive seen) never malfunctions and i have a ps3 from the 2nd week it came out.

In the end it all comes down to what you are looking for exactly. But if you are really looking for good multiplayer and online interface i would definitely say gogogogogo 360 Elite. But thats just my opinion. Hope this helps somewhat man, and if you do get a 360 hit me up with a FR :)

I think the OP says it all. At it's worst, 360 had a 50% failure rate, while PS3 has somewhere under15%. Also, you get free online play and you get Blu-ray with Sony's system. But ultimately what it comes down to is games, and what little excusives both manufacturers should make the choice easy enough.

I, for one, suffered through two RROD and switched to PS3 and couldn't be happier.

The 3000 dollars you spent on your xbox stuff is a sunk cost. You can probably get a fraction of that back, but your money is probably better spent on getting a new xbox. This is based on the assumption that the new xboxes have lower defect rates, and that you won't be spending another 3000 dollars on defective hardware over the long run.

so earlier this afternoon, I got ANOTHER RROD!! This will be my 6th fuckin console in 4 years that I have had to buy or fix in order to play the games I love.

I have fuckin had it with this piece of shit. Its fun to play, has the biggest online playing community of everyone, and whatever cool game is on xbox, it usually exists on ps3 as well.

HRD

When my 360 RROD'd a while back. I was fucking furious. It came at a time when the PS3 Slim and Price drop first hit. I was damn near ready to chuck the XBox in the trash and let my PC and the soon to be acquired PS3 do gaming for me. And while I did trade in a damn good chuck of 360 titles to assist on the PS3 purchase, I ended up sending to MS to fix. one reason. The friend's list.

If not for the friends list I had on XBL I most likely wouldn't have even given it a thought and this 360 would have been in the trash. So now that I have both systems, which do I play more? My 360. The installed friend's list thats come from me being on there since Guilty Gear #Reload(October 2004). Gives me a reason to turn it on above the others. So will my PS3 ever get played in the future? Of, course. It'll play my new, future Blu-Ray collection, it'll be my media hub, and more than likely my Single player gaming machine of choice(seriously, no one chimes in to bother me on PSN or Steam for that matter...While on 360, a lot of the time I sign on and party chats or game invites come flooding my screen).

Yeah, never under-estimate the friends list Dave, its a powerful force. Check into getting the console repaired on the xbox website. Everytime it happens now, I get RROD repaired for free plus I make them send me a box.(won't have to next time though, I kept the last one)

im the opposite. My ps3 has broken 3 fucking times. 3rd was just yesterday. I just have really bad luck though and it's likely if you get one it'll never break at all.

But yh launch 60gb + cod4 = YLOD ---> Then crappy refurb which breaks again after a few months ----> Then yet another crappy refurb -----> YLOD and me bieng made to pay 126 pound to get it fixed....

Near Xmas

Ps3 for the win no if's and but's about it. I like the japanese wii to because they know how to make good games for it.

so in lue of the fact that I bought my son left for dead 2 & tony hawk ride for xmas bout a month ago (I of course had to "test them out" to make sure they are good games) I decided to go with one of these guys on craigs list that advertise a freezing/RROD fix for about $40. I dropped it off bout an hour ago and Ill get it back tomorrow afternoon. He gaurantees it for 3 months. I know it makes me cringe to, but Im in a tight spot.

I couldnt bear the fact that my son would open all these cool games and movies and not be able to enjoy them. So xbox wins this round again.

Rek.....you brought it home for me. My friends list is one of the most important things I love about my xbox. The people Ive met are to precious to just throw away. After this pitiful excuse for a media driven holiday, I will save a few bucks and get a new elite. No more used ones, no more fixing. Im gonna get that warranty and get the better of the 2 systems.

thanx for all the help guys

HRD

The xbox is what the kids like. Everything about a social gaming community is on xbox. And the hundreds of halo games on that thing, it makes perfect sense.

PS3 is pretty much the opposite, it isn't a very american system. I own a mic which I don't even use, whenever people send me questions about it, I wonder why they even own the system. (I don't want to hear your douchyness)

Shooters and Madden sell better on the xbox, so it tells you right away the kinda of people that own that system.

I'll be honest I don't really like to socialize when I am playing video games, only time I do that is when I am playing Soul Calibur, and that's through chat.

really i love to hear ppls stupidity online no matter if its PC xbox or Ps3....plus sometimes u encounter some cool ppl. i mean ive pretty much put together a network of friends on MW2 and if were all on at the same time were unstoppable in TDM and especially Demolition....every1 has their role...but we wouldnt be able to stratigize if we couldnt communicate...u have the offense the watcher of the 6...the juggarnaut(thats me lol riot sheild,blast sheild, striker, i just draw their attention...also known as the tank) the madman...lightweight and marathon and ninja= knife shennaigans....and the spawn camper(he will piss u off with his models ninja, coldblooded, and marathon)...and of course the sniper(with every sniper rifle maxed out)...thats pretty much all he does lol...with us 6 doesnt matter if the other guy on our team is a complete noob...chance of winning is pretty damn good...and even if we lose we have a good time either way....communication can change a games experience completely...cant tell u how man times a teammate saved my ass cause he let me know some1 was around the corner...or where they were camping...or that theres a sniper in the window...communication can take a team from scrubs to gods.

Back