Yoshi match openers?

Gabedamien

I Want To Be Happy
Hi fellow followers of the Namu,

What do you typically open with? Starting out as an SCIV Mitsu player I was used to having strong aggressive openers in b:A, b6, k:B, 66B, RLC, etc. I forget what I used to do with SCIV Yoshi (I only learned him late in the game), but unfortunately as an overly-defensive SCV Yoshi player I typically just hold block first thing. Sometimes I’ll gamble majorly with 8A+B2, or an exploratory 9B+K(K), but those are very risky against anyone good. I’d be happy to know of any more solid options.

i tend to open with 4K,B a lot. seems to beat a lot of other character's common openers and if they open with a back step the K wiffs and the B catches. Also had a lot of luck starting with 22/88 B, surprisingly enough.

1. 66A, gets those pesky side steppers.
2. 66K, allows me to get in quick.
3. 4KB, not safe on those pesky side steppers, but good for longer range characters.
4. 9A+B2 catches most spammers in the middle of their second animation.
5. Or I just warp in.

(6)B+K ~ A+B ~ K

K is optional, and fires off Kangaroo Kick.
This works best at the start of the match.

Running B+K helps cover distance, and A+B is your escape if the initial hit is block (it's quick and puts good distance behind you). Otherwise, A+B lands more damage and can easily push the opponent to the edge of the ring on most stages.
I can't remember if K is able to ring out or not, but the launch it provides gives you time to setup your next attack.
I usually go into a stance, like 2B+K ~ B or A.

(6)B+K ~ A+B ~ K

K is optional, and fires off Kangaroo Kick.
This works best at the start of the match.

Running B+K helps cover distance, and A+B is your escape if the initial hit is block (it's quick and puts good distance behind you). Otherwise, A+B lands more damage and can easily push the opponent to the edge of the ring on most stages.
I can't remember if K is able to ring out or not, but the launch it provides gives you time to setup your next attack.
I usually go into a stance, like 2B+K ~ B or A.

A+B part of 66B+K, A+B, K doesn't really put much damage. It's the 33_99B or 66B+K, B+K part. A+B is just an option to either use to retreat(as you say) or follow-up.

The only problem sometimes is it's steppable, you can duck for it's a high, and peeps like Mitsu can BB you out of it if they predict it well. I'd use it sparingly if my opponent knows what I'm gonna do. Otherwise, follow-up all day.

Personally, I prefer 33_99B more because it has many options. On CH it can launch and you can follow up with aB+K, JF4AAAAA, 6K or you could finish it with B+K. It also functions a bit better than 66B+K imho.

But I do use 66[B+K] to get into back turn and follow up with the A+B part if I predict they'll step around my 66[B+K]. Just kinda do it sparingly haha.

The K part doesn't ringout peeps, but it's great launcher to start up some some combos aside from the obligatory 8A follow-up.

Anyways, that's pretty much my rambling of experience haha. Pardon the post Manjitou comrade.

Usually I will just block or dance out of range and wait for the opponent to get in range :/ or iFC 3K or 66K.

It depends on what the opponent is doing. In a vacuum I like these moves as openers.

66K (-10 on guard, knd on hit, i17, can be pseudo mixed up with 666K)
22_88B (which has virtually always whiffed for me at the beginning of a match)
4KB (Long safe reach that gets trampled on by step)
iFC 3K (Can almost hit the opponent right out of the gate, only need one step in)
I also use DGF 6A+B K to disorient if they've been turtling very well.

A+B part of 66B+K, A+B, K doesn't really put much damage. It's the 33_99B or 66B+K, B+K part. A+B is just an option to either use to retreat(as you say) or follow-up.

The only problem sometimes is it's steppable, you can duck for it's a high, and peeps like Mitsu can BB you out of it if they predict it well. I'd use it sparingly if my opponent knows what I'm gonna do. Otherwise, follow-up all day.

Personally, I prefer 33_99B more because it has many options. On CH it can launch and you can follow up with aB+K, JF4AAAAA, 6K or you could finish it with B+K. It also functions a bit better than 66B+K imho.

Anyways, that's pretty much my rambling of experience haha. Pardon the post Manjitou comrade.

Not at all!

If you ask me the weakest part of the opener I suggested would be the 66B+K part. A simple B attack can easily knock you out of it, which is what you suggested. That's why the next time I get a chance to practice it, I'm going to see if I can interrupt the run with 4B+K. It should be enough to avoid most kicks and verticals, but at the cost of some health.

Still, the small amount of health you lose from it would be much less then a skilled opponent's combo. Also, I did have the CPU duck under the A+B a few times, but the distance you get should still keep you safe. Style points if you can do this while the opponent attacks low while crouching before the A+B (I have!).

Not at all!

If you ask me the weakest part of the opener I suggested would be the 66B+K part. A simple B attack can easily knock you out of it, which is what you suggested. That's why the next time I get a chance to practice it, I'm going to see if I can interrupt the run with 4B+K. It should be enough to avoid most kicks and verticals, but at the cost of some health.

Still, the small amount of health you lose from it would be much less then a skilled opponent's combo. Also, I did have the CPU duck under the A+B a few times, but the distance you get should still keep you safe. Style points if you can do this while the opponent attacks low while crouching before the A+B (I have!).

I can kinda picture 66[B+K] then 4B+K. Does nothing but opens up a chance to do 4KB. Risk it to get something. Perhaps that's why Pocky Yoshi is a Yoshi mainer.

As for the style points thingy, it's not something I end up doing haha. The A+B part of 66B+K, A+B, K iirc TCs lows anyway. Sometimes it just so happens I end up doing it out of sheer luck.

But 4B+K seems like a nice little gimmick of risk I should try out more. Not as an opener though. But as something to explore.

For clarification, I was referring to the opponent crouching and attacking low simultaneously.

UPDATE: You can actually do 4B+K to interrupt the run. However, I can only seem to do the initial 4B+K, and not 4B+KBBBBB. Either way, it's another escape to add to the arsenal.

Really? When 66[B+K] is -17 on block? Wow...how fast does 4B+K go to TS, then? []
I meant you could interrupt the 66 with 4B+K (i.e. 664B+K) and cancel into it before finishing with B+K normally. As for TS, it seems (for me at least) as if the game prevents you from going past the initial Spinning Evade.

That being said, I'm not sure about the frame data for running, but I would guess that the TS would be the same as if you performed 4B+K once normally. While I was thinking more of using 4B+K as an escape for when the opponent throws an attack out before you can, I should definitely try it out after block and see how that works out.

Hrm...I'm assuming it's actually 6654B+K, because otherwise you'd be going into [4]B+K (trooper roll), not the spins. But good to know. []

Back