Yoshi versus....

HajimeOwari

[11] Champion
So, while the punishment thread is amazing, knowing what's punishable doesn't completely prepare you for playing against various characters. Let's discuss anti-character stuff. Which character gives you the worst match-ups? Got a blanket solution for a problem or specific tactics to shut down an opponent's game? Post! Try and keep the discussion focused on offline games, of course.

pro tip vs yoshi...

cause i hate him.

when he goes into super dragonfly and jumps back for the landing, which he can JF and gain health, just run right up to him and block low. if he misses the JF, he will take damage, fall, and eat pretty much whatever grounded attack you wanna hit him with. if he gets the JF...even the just JF...the yoshi player will think him invincible. not so. you can block his landing low, and even if he lands on you, you will take 0 damage. then you get a free throw attempt, JF or not.

namu.

You can also do something fancy and go into your own Dragonfly into Super to TJ the low and either punish with the unblockable or hit 2B+K on the failed attempt.

Good Talims and Takis completely throw me off my game sometimes. Talim the most though, haha. Just can't seem to read her movements and what not, haha. Though, I will try to implement A+K more when fighting an aggressive Talim and Taki. Also, iMCF will definitely be useful, well, once I learn how to use it properly. I also noticed since most of their moves are a little quick or unrelenting for lack of a better word, the 3AB creates wonderful opportunities, lol. Siegfried gives me trouble too but not too much now. Since if he goes to his stances at close range, I usually succeed in getting a 6B counter in there. Quick lows like the 2K also come in handy when Siegfried is close. Then I just mix it up with Flea A, 9B+K K series, 66A+B moves to stances or fakes or the low, Intimidation A if he's close enough.

For Taki, there's two ways to go about it. If you can iMCF consistently, you can interrupt everything from PO except for PO Step. But, you can block anything from PO Step if you whiff. If you can't iMCF consistently, use 214A to handle everything but PO B and Hover. 2A can interrupt PO B. If someone is abusing Hover a lot, you can either 1) back up to avoid it and punish or 2) Step and then block low to stop both of her options.

Don't forget about 4KB against Siegfried's dancing from a distance. His dancing is only scary if you let it be!

Kilik: My friend uses him, and knows more than the average online kilik scrub. I think my biggest problem with fighting him is approaches. Most of the punishes for him...I'm usually not even close enough to be able to use them. So I guess my question is, how do you stay close to a Kilik who knows how to keep you away? INT A, 88_22A, 66B, 66AB, 1B off the top of my head seem to cover the most distance, but if your opponent knows these moves (which he does), are there any other ways to try to approach or manipulate your spacing with Kilik (or other distance characters like Mina, Seig, etc.) Thank You!

Clavaat: Abuse 9B+K and 9A+B. They're his best tools for closing distance against Kilik. Don't throw them out randomly, though. Use them when you're anticipating WS B, 6B, etc. Be sure to not always finish the 9B+K series if your timing is off and the Kilik player is able to block it. The punish window is small on block, but a knowledgeable Kilik will punish if you always 9B+KK him. Keep in mind that you can delay that second stomp. 9A+B is also very strong here. Be sure to use 9A+B B+K (stance cancel into DGF) if your timing was off and you notice them stepping.

For Sieg, I would suggesting using less 9A+B and more FC 3K at max distance. Siegfried is much more mobile and isn't nearly as open as Kilik when attacking from a distance. You want to study Siegfried frame data. He's wide open on a number of his moves. Also, many Siegfrieds depend on 3B and WS B to enter stances while maintaining an offense. Punish both his 3B and WS B on block with AA. It's free damage and it really disrupts Sieg's offense.

Thanks for the tips, I never really considered that as a option against Kilik. I'll try it out later :)

Like the other Yoshimitsu player said, I do have the same problem against Ivy... When I get online against her, it is a world of pain. One player was spamming 2 moves that I wasn"t able to do anything. They are unstepable and even if I block, she still have the frame advantage to prevent any punishing. I

tried 9 A+B and 9 B+K to get the distance, but she seems to hit my char always before that, stupid hitbox -_-. Anyway, the only way to get close to her was to go into MED and do 2 A+B and I was able to warp behind her and well, trying a throw or a combo depending the distance until the player figure out that I can do that, he started to spam a really long range low sweep on the ground to prevent this....

So I am quite stuck there, what should I do oO that would be stupid to be stuck against one matchup and being unable to do anything, I am pretty sure there is something to do... Anyway, I don"t have the input for theses two moves, I'll come back way later to add them, but I hope some Yoshimitsu player have tips for me ^^

The problem with online is that Ivy becomes much safer, so punishing becomes impossible.

If the move you're talking about is CL 214 either 3K her out of it or wait to see what she does, since everything from SE can be dealt with on sight. Of course, if all you do is play online then this advice is moot.

I've just tried in training right now and I can punish any of theses moves with normal block...even with move that are not that fast... So I got carried away a little bit too much cause of online, never realize the delay was that high. Anyway, I was still fighting with a friend the other and I did have problem against his Ivy, but I do not know that much her moveset, so it doesn't help... Thanks for the tips, I'll try to remember that next time I am playing offline ^^

ivy. most definitely. and i cant tell you why. for any character i play really ivy is the one that wrecks me most often. but aside from ivy, its usually taki, due to the super air throw (i love to fly with yoshimitsu) and more often than not the sisters.... holy balls... the sisters....

Against Taki, your best bet is Yoshi's A+K move. It'll stop her from doing all those bullshit Mids that she does.

A+K isn't a blanket answer to Taki.

Blinky, based on your other posts, it sounds like you're still getting the hang of Yoshi. For now, I suggest checking the punishment thread for info on what you can punish your opponents with. Also consider learning a bit about the other characters you're having problems with. It'll help in the long run.

when i fight against a Taki, for the most part, 214A is my go to move when i feel pressure. A+K is ok but never really remember to use this lol. iMCF is my savior as well.

with Kilik, from my experience, they(the players) love to setup WS B. so they attack with plenty of lows. and because of that matter i try to use moves that TJ. 9B+K, 9K, 8A, and DGF. it seems to work for me. OH and if you can see the animation. GI the damn Guard Crush move that gives kilik a free kick and stab. lol i HATE that move. HAHA

I've played a few ivy players and the one move that sticks out in my head when i'm up against her is 6A. it stops Ivy's from doin that stepping move where she goes into some whip stance. (sorry if i don't know what the move is called or the input lol) that's pretty much the only move i can remember that i use heavily against Ivy players.

Hmmm well for me its basically just ranged characters (Not mid, just long) such as Ivy, Hilde, and slightly Sets, cerv, and asty. Everyone else im fine against.

Back