Your thoughts on the future of Pro Gaming

franman

[13] Hero
Believe it or not Pro gaming has already been accepted as a profession; however, it's just the beginning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are only a few selected competitive games that are accepted to a professional level. Most common are the games that derive from the FPS genre.

There are a few fighting games accepted as a profession. DOA and Smash Bros Melee being the two when there are more competitive fighting games to be yet considered a profession.

So this leads to the point of the question followed by sub-questions in conjunction with it. What future do you see for Pro Gaming?

Will pro gaming continue to extend the variety of competitive games of various genres?

Will their system of qualifying gamers to a professional level be somewhat the same as how sports qualify athletes to become pro athletes? Let's take hockey as an example, you start off competing in the College Hockey League, when you do well you'll be qualified to compete in the National Hockey League and if you prove to be a top athlete in that league you'll representing your nation and compete for the World Hockey League.

Will pro gaming be accepted by schools as an extra curriculum activity?

Will different gaming leagues merge together?

Will gaming leagues especially the game's developers pay special attention to the community forums?

First, people would need to prove that playing such games has a beneficial effect.
Until then, no, it will never be part of any school program.

Plume... its already been proven... the problem is that for every study that proves the beneficial effect of video games, there is another study that proves the detrimental effect of video games. All these studies have hidden agendas and they are sponsored by people who want to push their own dogma... As for my personal experience, I've seen that video games increase anylitical thought, hand-eye coordination and team work. Not to mention, having kids go out and kill hookers in Grand Theft Auto means that they aren't going out and killing hookers in real life.

Stop treating people like idiots, kids can understand the difference between a video game and real life... if they can't, its the fault of the PARENTS, not the games. Yes, they may desensitize people to violence and crime, but so does the 10 'o clock news, and any crappy action movie. Maybe we should ban Michael Bay movies as well (I'm all for this). Video games are a new medium, just as books were, just as movies were, just as radio was, and just as television. Sure, there is a more immersive experience in games, but as I said, stop treating people like idiots.

Any of these so called "problems" that are caused by video games are the fault of the parents.

Yeah...I should have taken the time to choose my words better.

Maybe a better way to say it would be "It has to be commonly accepted (by soccer moms...) that games have a beneficial effect in general."

Ok but what do you guys see for the future of pro gaming? Especially for Soul Calibur. Don't forget to answer the sub-questions. I'll answer these questions later.

I think the biggest problem with pro gaming is that the rules and games are ever changing. Pro sports have set rules that don't change and it helps the sport attain a unified fanbase (soccer fans, golf fans, etc.) while pro gaming struggles with a unified fanbase due to the "niche within a niche" factor. On top of having fans of gaming, the fanbase is split with having fighting game fans, FPS fans, and even within those it gets split even more with Halo fans, Call of Duty fans, Dead or Alive fans, Soul Calibur fans.

Pro gaming has a long way to go until maturity. It needs to somehow overcome these problems to get anywhere.

Simply, it needs to have permeated the culture as much as other competitive activities, i.e. sports. In a few generations there won't be anybody who doesn't understand the basic rules behind FPS, RTS, and (if they last) fighting games, and there won't be a need for broadcasters to feel like they have to dumb everything down.

At least that's how it looked 5 or 10 years ago. Now, I'm not so sure. Competitive game development has changed, especially with the rise of consoles. You simply cannot play certain games at high levels on consoles, and it's killing the competitive FPS, and doing a lot of damage to competitive RTS. Fighting games are the obvious exception, but they're not exactly the hot shit they were in the 90s.

I still think there's a future, but it won't be developed in NA.

Back