Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

Punish it?
I take that time to express Aeon's awesomeness through a taunt. When they have recovered, my taunt finishes up and the battles resumes lol.

Why does his only "evasive" move out of a FLYING STANCE suck so much? Makes no sense.

Speaking of evasiveness, dumb question, but SW can only avoid low attacks, correct?

Speaking of evasiveness, dumb question, but SW can only avoid low attacks, correct?
It can evade some mids and even the occasional high.

On a different note, I feel like 44K is possessed by some benevolent guiding spirit that wants me to win. So far the following have happened:
One time I was going for 11K to close off a round (having conditioned them into not ducking with 33K). However, they stayed grounded, 44K came out, and it KOed them. Miracle 1.
Another time I was going for 22K to finish off a round (covers desperation 2Ks and throws). However, they went with AA instead, but thankfully 44K came out, dodged the AA, and KOed them. Miracle 2.
A third time, I hit someone with 1B BE on Mitsu's stage, but the low wall would've prevented a guaranteed RO off it so I decided to just go for 44K instead. However, the guardian spirit decided that it would be better to do 44A → SW K, which came out instead. Lo and behold, it ROed the opponent over the low wall (it can be air controlled though, so don't rely on it).

So yeah. Either my hands think faster than my brain does or something is at work here, because I don't get the wrong move that consistently in perfect situations.

Note: The above post is facetious. If you believe guardian spirits exist, please seek psychological help as this is indicative of early stages of schizophrenia.

I've been having trouble getting my offense started with Aeon lately. I feel like Aeon has very strong okizeme and mixups once he gets the advantage, but it's really hard for me to get into that situation. I think this is more my fault than Aeon's, though, as Aeon is not really the kind of character meant to rush down and pressure people.

What I'm trying to say is that how do you guys approach playing Aeon when you're in neutral? What moves are good for feeling out your opponent, and when should you start applying an aggressive offense? I realize this is an extremely vague question, but right now I'm feeling kinda lost and I'm losing a lot of matches I should've won because of stupid decisions at the neutral game, so I'd be grateful for any sort of advice.

At neutral you should be spacing/baiting whiffs. At advantage just grab and mix it up with mids. If they mash buttons interrupt with 2A/4B or backstep and punish. At disdvantage you can still backstep and punish often, or you can take wild but rewarding guesses with 66K/4B+K or side step punish.

Those are just some basic stuff that usually works.

Yes, when in put into the neutral game you should be spacing and baiting whiffs. If you need to back up in order to do this, then go ahead and throw out 6K and/or 4B, both of which are great push out moves. If they happen to step quite a bit then go ahead and throw out a 6A and back step. This move is similar to a boxing jab and is best when used in that manner.
If your opponent loves to hold G, then you can grab, 2K, and space.

When at advantage use all of the attack fields...High, Mid and Low. Grabs/A,A's and 4B's are great highs. 1B,BE and 6B,BE are solid mids to play around with when you have meter. If not, then 3K is safe and catches step at close-mid range. 2K is the best low to with in my opinion. I am sure you know what to do if your opponent mashes buttons to relieve the pressure.

When in disadvantage, use 2A to interrupt and be in the advantage again. If your opponent stays in your face then 2K the hell out of them.

This is all on the safe side of things.....except 6B,BE/2K and grabs lol. If you'd like then go ahead and put some matches in the videos thread and have all of us review it. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your lizard!

Having major trouble against Pyrrah and Co. That famous stab (236B?) seems to be able to punish/counter/just plain faster than everything I do.

Also been lamenting about how Aeon's only pokes are high aside from his low kicks. DAMN YOU TECH CROUCH!

Good safe mid pokes:
2B
1B

Pyrrha's 236B is pretty annoying because it can punish 3B, 3A, 33B, etc. If she tries to use it as an interrupt though, bait it and punish with 1B BE. Since it's harder to force a mixup on her because she can stab 3B, you may want to play this matchup at a distance and space her out with 66A, 6K, 6A, etc.

Punishing a random stab with 1B$ is extremely hard for me. Unless you were really sitting on it.

Edit : That's still what you should be doing.

You can control and keep Pyrrha out with 66A and 66A+B. She has the A+B auto GI but it's really risky since mistiming it gets punished hard and 66a+b (thrust) beats it altogether, her 236K has a weird tendency to get hit by 66A when it really shouldn't, she can't punish either move on block. You win the footsies battle- her best thing is 3B and you can blow that up pretty hard with patient movement. Lows really aren't nessicary in this matchup unless you're /really/ feeling them, their just free damage for Pyrrha.

Just had a lengthy session recently with Dr. Mario Kart (#9 seed at EVO) and I won 75-80% of the matches. I feel really strong about this matchup.

Glad to hear positive stuff coming from you, winters. I really don't think Pyrrha's especially hard either. Going by the book, this matchup looks like it's 6/4 or something. But truth is, considering how easy it is to make her whiff attacks and how huge your reward for it is, it's pretty balanced. Also her main unsafe moves that she uses are punished super hard if on point. For example I consistently punish 1K with 6B$ when I block it, and once that happens, she ain't gonna spam it anymore trust me.

The most annoying stuff here is probably her 3B, cause you can't punish it unless at point blank range and even then you only get 3K or 2B. But hey, verticals can be stepped so who cares? So yeah Pyrrha is a hard character to beat in general, but I don't feel like she's especially challenging for Aeon if you play the MU like you should.

"A matchup favorable for Aeon? Impossible!"
Aeon is strong in my book....and so is raph when played correctly, I use to think raph was bad (shame on me)until I played reptile lol.....then i used him myself and he can annoy the heck out if u with his pokes and has a surprisingly strong wall game and pressure. Even zwei is strong(alot of people are not gonna say this tho) because 214 B knife fiend pressure is very difficult to escape.(his main pressure tool)

IMO Aeon has mostly even matchups against everyone except a few of the top tiers, who he loses to 4-6. I do think he makes Nightmare his bitch though. If you have a solid fundamental game, Aeon can take on anyone and win.

Aeon is strong in my book....and so is raph when played correctly, I use to think raph was bad (shame on me)until I played reptile lol.....then i used him myself and he can annoy the heck out if u with his pokes and has a surprisingly strong wall game and pressure. Even zwei is strong(alot of people are not gonna say this tho) because 214 B knife fiend pressure is very difficult to escape.(his main pressure tool)
I used to think of Aeon as bottom 5 but recently started thinking that he is more of a midtier character. Definitely viable. Raph, I still think on the lower side for sure(bottom 5). ZWEIs KF B can be aGI'ed or jJGed on reaction.

Back