Aeon General Discussion / Q&A

I'm bored at work so figured I'd mention some of the stuff I've been abusing the past 2 days.

*3K -> command throw. 3K carries Aeon so far forward so safely. Even if I whiff it I can sometimes get a grab while they try to punish/counter-attack. Try it
*I thought B+K was ass until I mixed it with 6[K]. Two people yesterday blocked 6[K] high until the last second then they crouch blocked thinking it was B+K. I didn't get a chance to do it online yet but I know if you push them to the ring's edge and they block 6[K] you can guarantee your CE and if you're really close, your 6B$
*88_22 AB. Don't know if the moves list mentioned this but you can delay the B. I feel like a dummy for just realizing this yesterday

@Di_Pl
*DC Duck nailed it. 4B+K. Guard burst. -10 on block. TJ. TC. 36 damage and it can clean hit. It has a slow startup but I've been using it more to try and CH when I smell a low coming. Faster than a 9B, doesn't whiff against crouch like a 9K, and safer than 8B+K.

You have to wait until the "descent" to input the B+K. It's better to err on the side of too late - when it'll do the damage but won't relaunch - than too early, when it'll just whiff.

Also, try and time the B+K until they're falling behind Aeon's head. Which means the timing is delayed quite a bit, but I found it pretty simple.

Aeon's backdash is pretty ass indeed but is there any reason you guys don't just tap 4? That moves him backwards quite far and fast, cancellable with block too.
Is there any reason not to use that instead?

Gemster, nice find on the Aeon 4. It actually works way better than his 44 or [4] backwards movement. 4~N~4~N~4 works decently for movement, and is G cancelable.

3K is pretty good, I've been using it more where I was using 3A, as mid range poke. It tracks pretty well too so I've all but replaced 3A in my game with this. 3A gives better frames, but it's also unsafe. Being only +2 on hit means that you can't interrupt a whole lot, but I usually mixup throws with -1K_4K_8B_4B+K. Most people are going to try and interrupt with 2A_AA or step. 2A, 66K, and 4B+K all beat standard AA. Your 2A beats theirs, 4K trades, 8B beats it clean. AA, 3K, 4A beats their step.

6K, what do you guys think. A little on the slow side, but it has good range and the occasional 6[K] is nice.

For me, 6K is only for applying pressure. It'll guard crush and is pretty safe on block. I much prefer 3K for mid pokes.

Gemster, nice find on the Aeon 4. It actually works way better than his 44 or [4] backwards movement. 4~N~4~N~4 works decently for movement, and is G cancelable.
Yeah I've been using this since I found out about it. I'm not sure if people just don't know about it or if there is a drawback to it. As far as I can tell this is a pretty good "backdash".

I'm using 6K as a far away poking tool too but I haven't found a good use for 6[K] yet.

Used quite a bit of Aeon over the weekend experimenting with 4~N backstep. It works fairly well, gives an adequate amount of distance and can cancel into G, or 8wr with some practice. Using 44K_4B+K_11K_11B off of it gives some additional evasion.

Starting to use 22B some. Mostly on wakes or whiff punish. It's -12 but I don't recall ever having it punished. Decently damages guard (10 hits to guard break IIRC). On hit 2A tech traps to the sides, if they roll you can go for 44B_K.

I don't know if anyone noted this, but BBB the last hit can only be teched_stepped counterclockwise. Clockwise step_ukemi gets smashed. I've been using it near the wall and successfully catching people stepping to his left. 2nd hit is still steppable and last hit is a moderately easy JG still though.

I like 11B. Decent range and +4 on hit. I use it quite a bit at the end of rounds for a finisher. Only problem is the same one 11K and 1A have: a distinctive, slower animation that telegraphs it. Aeon does get pretty low though, so it does go under highs and a few horizontal mids.

I've also been trying to get some better oki, especially from feet towards position where you can't catch roll with 44K AT.

On a 44B hit, you can do another 44B, which will hit if they do anything but tech. And you can get tech traps with 3A and 3K (one clockwise and one cclockwise, forget which ATM), or go for 99K which hits grounded, and all tech but clockwise has to block it. So basically 44B until they tech, then tech trap. I realize you could just finish the 44BAA string for damage, but just throwing some stuff out there.

As far as 1B and 1B BE, anyone have advice on how to incorporate those into my game. I think it's a decent move, I just don't have any particular situations where I feel that it's a better choice than something like 3B. Maybe on GB?

Is anyone else even still using Aeon or is everyone just content to complain about how bad he is still? The only thread that seems to get action here is the wishlist thread. I'd rather try and find out how to use him as he is now instead of just hoping they fix everything. Yes, he has weaknesses but I think a few weeks in is a bit too early to write him off entirely.

As far as 1B and 1B BE, anyone have advice on how to incorporate those into my game. I think it's a decent move, I just don't have any particular situations where I feel that it's a better choice than something like 3B. Maybe on GB?

I use 1B BE -->44BAA over 6B BE when I have my back to a ring out. The little extra range makes the difference, and you can also get wall splat off it, so it's fun. The only time I ever use 6B BE these days is when I'm desperate to get an opponent over a high wall. I know you can use it in wall splat combos, but I only get a wall splat like once every 10 games anyway. There are so many wide open or wall-less stages in this game...

But yeah, in general all my meter with Lizardman goes towards GIs. Since his punishing skills are weak and he has no natural impact moves, GIs are the only way I really mess up my opponent's momentum (Especially against someone like Maxi or Devil Jin). I always think it's weird how little I see people talking about GIs on this board, since I really think it's essential to his game. If they were to patch him, giving him an Impact move would be on the top of my list.

Is anyone else even still using Aeon or is everyone just content to complain about how bad he is still? The only thread that seems to get action here is the wishlist thread. I'd rather try and find out how to use him as he is now instead of just hoping they fix everything. Yes, he has weaknesses but I think a few weeks in is a bit too early to write him off entirely.

I'm half and half. Trying to figure out how the developers wanted him to play in game with the moveset. I have theories, but I need to actually play to make sure they're good theories.

For now, I think he's one of the characters that play a mid/long range game. I noticed how his 66A+B gives tons of pushback along with very good poking ability. Not only that, but when landing certain stuns, it 66A+B allows him to reset his spacing to more ideal conditions. Also, 66A helps keep opponents from quickstepping 66A+B (too bad 66A doesn't GB) since the range for the tip is just nearly the same at 66A+B (I think it's slightly shorter).

I've looked back into 6A for spacing as well, and noticed that it does pretty well when combined with 4~N backstep. It makes players that want to interrupt with either AA or BB whiff, giving us a chance to punish. Haven't looked that much further though.

As you mentioned, I'm seeing 11B more and more useful for poking at least just because of the range. I think it should be safer than normal (unless SSed) since people have to block low for it. Plus, anyone getting antsy and committing too hard would get hit by WR or WR[AB].

Saw some potential in 4B+K cause of the reach (same reach as 11B and 22B) plus the fact that it hits mid. With the frame advantage only -10, he's left with a 50/50 mixup between guessing whether they do verticals or horiztonals. Only problem I dont like about it is that it places him really close to the opponent, so I guess it's his answer to characters that have longer spacing than Aeon.

That's all I've been looking at right now. Probably gonna start hitting up online so I can at least test something out (not many people play around here). What do you think about his playstyle?

i am also still using him, but is frustrating as hell, all my friends see all his lows in reaction now (11_99K, 11_99B, 1A) and the throw range is hella terrible. The only thing they have to do is getting the life lead and turtle the crap out of me, if i am getting in close, they just have to use there fast strings/mixups to get me out again. I am more then fine with the 4~N backdash now, but the lag of mixups (increased throw range alone! would be so freaking enough) and frames on block just kills aeon.

Yeah, I play him quite a bit still. Not only that, but I don't even think he's that outclassed. I see lot's of whining about what he doesn't have, but some of his tools are actually pretty good. 22AB beats a lot of things. His ringout game is strong. Oki's not bad. 6B$ is an amazing punisher after JG or ducking high strings. Good pokes. Great anti-step. Good throws. I dunno, I still like him.

I'm still using him, and I still got a lot to try and incorporate in my game. A few things of note:

After a 88K guard crush (yes, that move can crush guard, I don't know why) I'm finding it's actually possible to get 33B BT B+K 8B+K 44BAA pretty consistently since 88K recovers fast and gives enough time to do 33B at the right angle.

After 1B BE, there's actually a pseudo fireball setup you can do (though it won't hit some small chars like Pyyrha/Leixia). 1B BE 11/77 A A+B+K Fly K(11A on left 77 on right). Delay the fireball as long as possible, and it actually traps mulitple air control directions and getting out of it can be akward (AC-ing one direction and rolling another, but then fly k can catch the roll, or not AC-ing and rolling under).

6K seems like a good poke if you're playing a spacing game, it does some gauge damage and has quite a bit of pushback on block, I don't think it was punishable (don't have guide on me ATM to check frame).

22AB is pretty easy hit confirm that's decent for keepout and gives solid damage on CH. The first hit is really bad on block though, which is the trade off for a large hitconfirm window. 22A and 22A delay B can both be punished by an immediate SS then quick attack. 22AB with no delay catches the step attempt, but is -15ish.

I've been playing a lot of keepaway, and think that this may be one of the better ways to use him. Staying outside and using 66A_66A+B_3B_4B+K_22B_6K, then running in occasionally for a mixup, then backing out to range. Once you get them set in a pace of trying to get in on you, it makes it easier to land his throws as well, defensively instead of offensively.

IMO he's not geared to be much of an offensive character. He doesn't have great frame advantages on hit or block. He doesn't have great lows to mixup, he isn't particularly fast. The only way you can really get in and force a mixup is to get them to respect 66A_66A+B_3B so they are conditioned to block when you run forward. One of his better tools ATM seems to be range as well as guard damage. Staying out of range and defending/evading seems to work much better for me than rushing down.

Still having trouble finding a good use of his meter. I'm going to start using Butterknife's suggestion of using more GI. I just started GIing more with Asta and it's been paying off well. Butterknife, what are you using post GI? I imagine 3B, maybe something like 6[K] for re-GI attempts?

What about post guard break? I've been using 66B FLY K mostly, but I'm sure there's better. Maybe 1B$_22AB, 44K? I'll mess with it.

anyone else noticed that Aeon's second hit of AA has a shorter range? whiffing the second hit on punishment is hella frustrating -.-

Yeah, it's really annoying to punish something only to have the 2nd hit whiff and you're back on the defensive.

I've had trouble with 4B,A,A going the WRONG DAMN DIRECTION.

I can't remember exactly in what situation it's happening but it happens far more often than I would like it too.

Hmmm maybe after some play tonight I'll be able to come back and report the exact situation that's causing it.

Happens to me sometimes when it connects too close. This is something I wouldn't mind if they fixed in a future patch as I doubt it is by design.

it kinda helps when u delay the 44B after the stun, instead of trying to input it as fast as possible

Back