Algol General Discussion / Q&A

That 4B+K man. And here's a combo for it my friend 4B+K, 2A+B, aB,11B_2B, or 4B+K, aB, 11B_2B. Ahh it good to help out new Algol players.

edit: Yoshimitsu: Add CrazyYoshimitsu on your xbl friend list. I'll help you out tomorrow with Algol.

That 4B+K man. And here's a combo for it my friend 4B+K, 2A+B, aB,11B_2B, or 4B+K, aB, 11B_2B. Ahh it good to help out new Algol players.

edit: Yoshimitsu: Add CrazyYoshimitsu on your xbl friend list. I'll help you out tomorrow with Algol.

Alright. Hopefully, I'll be able to get some batteries because I'm out. :O

Thanks, Tiamat for reviving Algol forum...he was on life support.

Algol is my favorite and main character...I'll never stop playing him as long as he exists hehe...just so damn fun. I play online mostly, and offline when I can, but not tournaments so the ban hasn't really affected me that much. I do however, like to play at a relatively high level

Anyways keep the posts coming. I'll try your strategies on Astaroth...right now I'm having the most difficulty on him. Any other anti-Asta tips?

general anti Asta:
- break B most of the time as that throw is more dangerous
- don't use high moves much at all, the more high moves you use, the harder this match is gonna be. Since you are Algol, you really don't have to use any high moves other than throws and AA for block punish anyway.
- NEVER EVER EVER EVER do high moves with your back to the edge unless it is guaranteed hit.
- His 4 is advantage on guard so don't attack or you'll lose, however he is out of throw range unless your back is near a wall, so to mixup with throws he will have to run at you, which gives you time to do something
- 1[A]A and 1[A]B ideally GI or jump the first hit. Algol might have some fun character specific counters for it. If you block the first hit keep blocking low till you see the mid guard break coming, then 6G it.
- if you block 6K take your free AA, after which you can frametrap with BB or do a low/throw for mixup
- don't tech after his 66K hits you or you'll just tech into a dash 66K/throw mixup. sometimes tech sometimes don't but usually just don't. stay down and block if you see him swinging for 22B

keep in mind that since you are normally playing online, it will be harder to implement some of these strategies

I'll be adding some other anti character strats in the future.

Here is a playlist with some matches of Whodat's Algol: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

added a little anti-nightmare to first post

Good stuff. I'm gonna familiarize my self a little more with Astaroth's moves...on to practice to try these strategies.

Great vids too.

Would like to point out that 2B+K is a FANTASTIC move.
Mixup 2B+K and throws.
You have a 50/50 that does 55 damage both ways.
2B+K is like -8. Unpunishable. Pushes out a little (to a healthy 1A/BB range) and does a shitload of SG Damage.
Its also one of those "forced block" moves, as in your opponent must choose to either roll, or block the move if you do it on wakeup. (for the SG Damage).

Work with it more. Its really nasty.

2B+K is really good to be sure, and tech traps to 2A XD

random find, maybe old news but 66A+G tracks step both sides, unlike his normal throws which can be stepped left

Algol has no just frames, unless you count his charged bubbles...cause they do cause a JF flash

yo lets talk about algol matchups

I think these are most difficult for him, no order here
kilik, hilde, mitsu(?), setsuka (?), amy (?), cervy, ivy

what you guys think?

I miss Algol, so I tried him yesterday for fun and I got hooked again.

Damn you Algol, why can't I just dump you since you can never make it to a tourney? T_T

Worst matchups are anyone who doesn't has to penetrate bubble shield as much to do damage.

Kilik, Mina, Hilde, Setsuka, Cervantes and Anakin give Algol problems.

So I am now Algol forum mod. Sometime this month I will put up a basic Algol play guide. =]

Currently on my hate list in terms of difficult matches are Ivy, Mitsurugi, Darth Vader (occasionally), and Cervantes (not so bad now).

I have difficulty with Ivy because I'm unfamiliar with her moves and seems to be very effective on Algol at long and close range...her combos apparently do massive damage.

I'm actually having trouble with Mitsurugi regardless of the players skill level...usually this occurs when being tripped up by 1A and the alternating high/low mixup to follow. I really don't know what do do...I've tried rolling back and sideways, tech rolling different directions, staying on the ground, jumping when I get up.

........................Does anyone know how to get out of or counter a trap like this (or similar one)?
BTW I play mostly online so harder to time parries due to lag

Well, it's online so you're kinda fucked.

But you can try 623B when you feel the 2K/mid comes as it GIs them or wakeup > teleport to have some breathing room.

And also, Mitsurugi doesn't have a chance against Algol at all.

Bubble shield and teleport fucks up his need to be close for his up close game and in mid range, Algol has better options with BB, 1A, bubble setups, 1B, aB and others.

Algol should always be in full command in this matchup.

I disagree. Mitsu has some long range attacks he can use to attack a bubble setting algol from a distance, but the biggest thing is that when algol is stuck in a mixup situation, he can't just step right and dodge 2kB and the stronger mids like other characters, so when mitsu is on him, he really just has to pray to guess right. His lack of a sidestep worth a damn is a BIG problem in this match. I dunno who has advantage but patient mitsu certainly has some juice to deal with Algol.

some matchups I think are particularly easy for algol...
talim (so I hear), zas (this is hilariously free), maxi

raph and nightmare are mostly even but I think algol has some advantage, just not much

Currently on my hate list in terms of difficult matches are Ivy, Mitsurugi, Darth Vader (occasionally), and Cervantes (not so bad now).

I have difficulty with Ivy because I'm unfamiliar with her moves and seems to be very effective on Algol at long and close range...her combos apparently do massive damage.

I'm actually having trouble with Mitsurugi regardless of the players skill level...usually this occurs when being tripped up by 1A and the alternating high/low mixup to follow. I really don't know what do do...I've tried rolling back and sideways, tech rolling different directions, staying on the ground, jumping when I get up.

........................Does anyone know how to get out of or counter a trap like this (or similar one)?
BTW I play mostly online so harder to time parries due to lag

Knowing a character's moves is key to winning against them if they're well played. Like it or not, your best option is to go and learn Ivy's moveset to a degree, so you at least know what you're dealing with.

Knowing a character's moves is key to winning against them if they're well played. Like it or not, your best option is to go and learn Ivy's moveset to a degree, so you at least know what you're dealing with.

I fully agree with you..its helped me immensely by learning Cervantes and Astaroth's moves not to mention advice I got on this forum. However, I've only played a few good Ivys...until I encountered these people I had no incentive to learn her moves, but now I do haha

Back