Algol General Discussion/Q&A

66A+B doesn't have a huge role in my Algol play. I keep thinking that it's something worth looking into more closely, but I generally find that I can resolve situations more reliably with 66B, 22A, 11K, etc, so I'm uncertain of where I'd shove it into the lineup. Plus little characters walk around it all damn day.
I use it as a safer alternative to 1B at that tip-of-66A range where the opponent is close enough to connect a dash-in throw, but far enough to be able to evade 66B by backdashing. Like you said, it won't deter sidestep to Algol's left at all, but that's what I use to open up the opportunities to get 662A/661K pressure going.

66B is a more rewarding option, but I see a downside in having to physically close the gap to ensure that the opponent can't backdash out of it, whereas 66A+B just lets me sling a bubble at them to cover my ass.

Neither are particularly effective at discouraging lateral movement, but it's a nice perk when 66A+B's dumb right side hitbox works in the Algol player's favor.

It's something I keep meaning to look into and yet never quite get around to. That sounds like a decent place to start, however.

I'd personally like to test it more against Astaroth, myself. I can see it discouraging him from pressing buttons at long range disadvantage somewhat.

In the case of Astaroth, though, what's he going to do to stop you from just getting up in his shit and overwhelming him with higher-reward moves?

So 33ABK has been putting in some work as a meterless whiff punish for some matchups. Stuff like 22B and 44B sometimes out too slow, so it's been helpful to keep it mind, assuming the opponent doesn't recover crouching.

What are Algol's best GB moves? I feel like 22*88 B isn't that reliable.

Also, what can you do against opponents who keep spamming TC sidestep moves (i.e. Mitsu's 22B or Pyrrha's 22K)?

What are Algol's best GB moves? I feel like 22*88 B isn't that reliable.
GB or GC?

For GB, there's 44K (breaks in 10, neutral on block), 66B (12, -4), 44A (13, -8), 22A (12, 0), and BB, which can't break but wears down guard surprisingly fast (flashing red in 14.5). 44B is also more difficult for a grounded opponent to evade than 22B.

Also, what can you do against opponents who keep spamming TC sidestep moves (i.e. Mitsu's 22B or Pyrrha's 22K)?
Mitsu 22B doesn't really TC, it just has a fucked up receding hurtbox that makes it evade a ton of shit it shouldn't. 2A is pretty much the only option that will semi-reliably interrupt without having to stop attacking (iFC 3B will beat out Pyrrha 22K, but not her 22B). Otherwise, JG/duck/backdash and punish appropriately (backdash into 33ABK whiff punish particularly slick). I wouldn't recommend messing around with 3AA too much. While it could feasibly work in this one situation, the likelihood of just getting counterhit out of it or blocked, JGed, and launch punished is much greater.

Back