Algol General Discussion/Q&A

I usually just do SET :8::A+B: after the BT :B+K: (I assume that's the notation - I mean the move where he sprouts spikes from his back). He'll teleport away before the first hit, you'll be too far away for the chair to hit you, and then the orb will fly in the opposite direction to you and hit him straight in the back. There's probably a better way of dealing with it, but that's what I do for now. I'm not sure about ORB options, though.

is there a general solution for other characters? I don't use algol, but I can't deal with other algols who know this tool.

Oh sorry, I thought this was the Viola forum. I would check the frames on block to see what you might be able to get away with. It might be an idea to try running directly at Algol after his wing attack and continuing in the same direction after he teleports - maybe then the teleport and subsequent attack would whiff. I'm not sure though; never tried it.

If you end up on the ground, stay grounded. BT B+K won't cross up on grounded opponents and will put him FT and end the 'vortex' if he attempts it.

If you end up on the ground, stay grounded. BT B+K won't cross up on grounded opponents and will put him FT and end the 'vortex' if he attempts it.

Really? There's no universal way out of it? I always thought it was probably a bit of a gimmick.

Really? There's no universal way out of it? I always thought it was probably a bit of a gimmick.
There are ways to use a combination of sidestep and backstep to force him out of backturned also. Or you could just JG the back spikes and punish.

and what about his low kick fireball? if he does it to grounded opponent, how do the I get out? the fireball is -14 on block, do I just get up as fast as I can and 2A him after blocking the fireball? if I get hit by the low kick, he gets to do the fireball, I can't get up except tech to the side, right?

and what about his low kick fireball? if he does it to grounded opponent, how do the I get out? the fireball is -14 on block, do I just get up as fast as I can and 2A him after blocking the fireball? if I get hit by the low kick, he gets to do the fireball, I can't get up except tech to the side, right?

If 2B+K hits you, then then the A+B portion will be free mixup for Algol because 2B+K always knocks down. If you try and ukemi in ANY DIRECTION, you WILL BE LAUNCHED FOR A COMBO. If you're already grounded, same thing CAN apply with the bubble follow-up. You just have to roll sideways to avoid any extra damage.

Is it me, or is Algol's critical edge move... lacking? Like, okay, he summons down his throne to crush the opponent. Sounds cool enough, right? So then how come it hardly does jack for damage? I don't know if it's just something I'm missing from only playing as him in practice mode (I'm more partial to playing as Aeon or Cervantes in any actual battle) and therefore am missing out on his full power, but I'm pretty sure the guy who wields the power of both Soul Edge and Soul Calibur should have be able to deal more damage with his critical than that.

Is it me, or is Algol's critical edge move... lacking? Like, okay, he summons down his throne to crush the opponent. Sounds cool enough, right? So then how come it hardly does jack for damage? I don't know if it's just something I'm missing from only playing as him in practice mode (I'm more partial to playing as Aeon or Cervantes in any actual battle) and therefore am missing out on his full power, but I'm pretty sure the guy who wields the power of both Soul Edge and Soul Calibur should have be able to deal more damage with his critical than that.

Actually Algol's Critical Edge is the most damaging in all the game, whether it's a counter hit or not (unlike Nightmare's CE). You need the two full meters, and when the throne hits the player, you must press the same command and then Algol sits upon the player with a beatiful animation and awesome sound.

A little tip: since the CE is very damaging, its damage attribute lowers when made with ANY COMBO. And because it is so damaging, it's also very easy to block. But it's a guaranteed combo with 66B, and it makes full damage. It's easy to pull out, since 66B can be done while running towards the opponent (and most people crouch when you run straight to them... a bad habit from SC IV I guess...).
Good luck!

CE with one full bar is primarily for RO or combo extension while CE with 2 full bars is mainly damage. Not to mention it's i17 and can hit anywhere on screen.

His CE is not lacking.

The CE isn't a bad investment in terms of meter-to-damage ratio in certain situations, anyway. Something like 44AA->CE->4BA->623B gives you 80-something damage or thereabouts for a little more than 1 BE (because of the meter you gain back).

A quick question for people: how do people feel about 66A+B as something to throw out there? While it's slow-ish and doesn't do any guard damage to my knowledge, it seems to deal with movement at range as far as a bit closer than ideal QI distance surprisingly well when I use it, at least online.

You need the two full meters, and when the throne hits the player, you must press the same command and then Algol sits upon the player with a beatiful animation and awesome sound.
By same command, do you mean hitting R1 or going through with the whole procedure that triggers the critical again?

By same command, do you mean hitting R1 or going through with the whole procedure that triggers the critical again?
If you have full meter, after entering the command for the critical edge - which would be two forward quarter circles then R1 in your case - you then have to input one quarter circle forward and R1 roughly on the moment the throne lands on the opponent, so kind of half of the input.

A quick question for people: how do people feel about 66A+B as something to throw out there? While it's slow-ish and doesn't do any guard damage to my knowledge, it seems to deal with movement at range as far as a bit closer than ideal QI distance surprisingly well when I use it, at least online.
I'm a big fan of 66A+B, mostly because it TCs and even TSes a little bit, and you can't really whiff unless they step to its weak side. Definitely one of his few bubble moves worth using (along with 8A+B, FC A+B, QI A+BB).
236236A+B+K then 236A+B+K during the animation
The window is kind of weird but there's no limit on how many times you can input it, so a typical CE2 input looks something like this:
236236A+B+K23623623623632362632A+B+KA+BKA+BKA+BKA+KB+AKB+ABK+K

66A+B doesn't have a huge role in my Algol play. I keep thinking that it's something worth looking into more closely, but I generally find that I can resolve situations more reliably with 66B, 22A, 11K, etc, so I'm uncertain of where I'd shove it into the lineup. Plus little characters walk around it all damn day.

Back