Algol General Discussion/Q&A

Also, I did not know that a left ukemi escapes the right side hit 44B combo (the one with the weird angle hit). I guess I never thoroughly tested it. It's still a good combo to know if the opponent doesn't know that a left tech escapes the combo.
I found that out a little while ago in training, which is why it isn't in the combo list anymore. I might add it to the tech traps/dead traps section though, since that encompasses various forms of techable "combos" as well as tech traps.

So I recently rediscovered my love of Chairgol, and realized I have no idea what I'm doing.

My main problem is what range I should be playing at. I'm thinking mid-short, since that seems to be where most of his tools work (to my understanding).

Another thing is playstyle. I would thing aggressiveness, due to how most of his attacks work, but his linearity gives me pause at this thought. When I asked others about playing Algol all I got was variations of "Crazy-ass meter combos"

Also 33A. This seems like a move I should try to incorporate as a staple when at mid range. It just seems so good...

So I recently rediscovered my love of Chairgol, and realized I have no idea what I'm doing.

My main problem is what range I should be playing at. I'm thinking mid-short, since that seems to be where most of his tools work (to my understanding).

Another thing is playstyle. I would thing aggressiveness, due to how most of his attacks work, but his linearity gives me pause at this thought. When I asked others about playing Algol all I got was variations of "Crazy-ass meter combos"

Also 33A. This seems like a move I should try to incorporate as a staple when at mid range. It just seems so good...

I say you should play a combination of close to mid range. At mid range, you have bubbles, 66B, 66A, 1B (I get too many CH's with this), 33A, 22A. The point is that you want to score solid hits to get the most meter. With meter, the game changes dramatically because then it becomes, 1 touch = 50% life at minimum.

Always remember your strongest whiff punishers and know the damage values on your shorter meter combos (1BE, 2BE)

Algol's playstyle changes with each matchup. You can abuse some bad moves, knowing that the opponent can't get a good punish if any at all. (Play long range vs Maxi, play close range vs Astaroth)

I'VE DONE IT. I'VE FOUND A PRACTICAL USE FOR B8.

If Hilde does 44B on hit into 44B when you're as close to her as possible, you can B8, which will launch her and give 3B BE/66B BE combos.

Of course you can just 66B or whatever in this situation too, but oh well.

I'VE DONE IT. I'VE FOUND A PRACTICAL USE FOR B8.

If Hilde does 44B on hit into 44B when you're as close to her as possible, you can B8, which will launch her and give 3B BE/66B BE combos.

Of course you can just 66B or whatever in this situation too, but oh well.

This is a bit hard to picture. Does the B8 do the launching?

So I'm enjoying playing Algol, but I have to ask, what playstyles suit him best? I've been playing a kind of spacey, bubble trap based Algol, but given his tools, I have read that his playstyle changes with each matchup, but by how much does it change?

FC 6B can break guard. Lol.

Breaking with it also gives you somewhere in the ballpark of 38-47 frames to do whatever you want.

Also, the following moves force a standing state when they hit crouching opponents:
3A
BB
1B
4B
FC 3B
11B
11_77K

And the following moves allow the opponent to remain crouching:
2A
FC A
BT 2A
B
2B
FC B
8B (Algol can duck this up close)
BT B
BT 2B
FC K
WR K
WR KK (forces crouch anyways)
7K (same as above)
BT 2K

Last but not least, Algol can duck his own A+B. Special-"mid". Goddamn it.

Try to make sure your Guard Burst is done by a 66A, 66B, 44B, or 44K. You will always have enough time to land a 44B after the Guard Burst.

8A+B has a deceptive hitbox. It tends to have a hitbox bigger than the bubble itself.

Start of the round 8A+B on an impatient player guarantees a 1B CH combo for 70-something damage.

Yeah, 8A+B is probably my favorite bubble for controlling space. It absolutely forces people to move off of their spot or to throw out a lot of TCs which you can interrupt. On NH, your most reliable combo with meter is 8A+B(stun), 1B, 2A+B, 3B BE QI B, 3B, for around 90-something.

Edit: Added the 2A+B because I am less retarded at 10 am.

Yeah, 8A+B, 66A+B, and 4A+B are his most important bubbles in SCV in my experience. I haven't labbed the specifics of the TD K setup (I just started doing it in matches as random jank to see what I could get away with) but outside of 1B's range it seems to work. It may be possible to evade at some ranges but it has low enough recovery that you can get BT A+B/BT B+K into more nonsense.

You can also confirm the 2A+B after the 1B and see if you can land 66B+K off it, which works when the opponent doesn't ukemi and the bubble hits their legs when they're almost recovered from the stun and they're "planking".

66A+B is one of his best mid-range tools. Massive hitbox to one side, completely stops backdash, takes people by surprise with its range, reasonably fast, 40 damage, knockdown, TC/TS, difficult to JG--this move has it all. It also sets up strong reverse mixups when blocked. OS JG, QI A+BB, Shoryuken, and backdash are all effective means of continuing to run the Algol vortex.

4A+B has fairly shitty recovery and will lead to a free whiff punish for the opponent if they wait for it, but the bubbles do occupy a decent amount of space for a time and have the added benefit of obscuring the camera at some angles, which can make navigating through 8A+B bubble mazes a nightmare. Bubbles aren't an effective keepout tactic anymore (although 8A+B after knockdowns is great for stalling and stopping run ins), but in situations where the round goes to whoever lands the first hit, they're invaluable.

While we're on the subject of random good shit, people should explore 44A by itself. It's criminally underrated--possibly one of his more important tools.

While we're on the subject of random good shit, people should explore 44A by itself. It's criminally underrated--possibly one of his more important tools.
I've always seen iWR A as being the better "version" of 44A because landing it gives you some dirty mixups:
  • 6B+K, iFC 8B, and 1K catch all directions of step and should interrupt just about anything
  • If the opponent holds guard, you get a free attempt at Algol's most powerful side throw
  • If the opponent tries to press buttons, you get a free back throw
Whereas with 44A, you get similar things but no side/back throw attempt. 44A does have the advantage of the threat of the 2nd hit and somewhat better range than WR A, though. I don't know the specifics on their tech crouches but they seem to perform similarly in that regard.

Generally I just like that WR A pushes out on block like crazy but keeps them in when it hits so you can take full advantage of the +8 and forced backturn.

iWR A is definitely something I should consider working into my game more, but here's why I really like 44A: that motherfucker breaks in 13. And it's horizontal.

Beyond that, you can access it more quickly from movement, blah blah, but it's a SAFE HORIZONTAL THAT BREAKS IN 13!

I tend to play an aggressive, up-close, guard-breakey Algol (ideally, at least), so that's pretty huge.

Notes for ROing on cage stage with wallsplats.
  • 3B W! → 3B BE → QI B → CE1 → 4BA will RO. On fat characters you can RO from further away with 6BBB → 6KK/66A ender
  • 44B → 66A+B (if further from wall)/2A+B (if near wall) W! → delayed 3B BE → QI B → CE1 → 4BA
  • WR B W! from a distance → 44B → 66A+B → iFC 8B BE → CE1 → 4BA
  • WR B W! close to wall → 3B BE → QI B → CE1 → 4BA

Back