Alpha Pat's top 10 moves

agB is exactly as it sounds, actually. It's a slide from A to G to B. Its much easier to do (on pads anyway) by just sliding A to G then quickly pressing one of the shoulder buttons with B in it, such as A+B.

Glad 66B made that list, Synraii.

For me, that's my primary mix-up on a dash. Are you going to duck because you think I'm going to dash up and throw you (as good as his throws are, man is their range gimpy.... but then I play Asta :P), or are you going to stand there and eat the throw mix up?

66B or A+G/214B+G is a core mix-up in my Alpha game. Weak to step (66B), but once they start stepping, new mix ups begin.

My top 10 is: (without a specific order)

1) 214~3a:B
2) 1A : A : A
3) 2A
4) 4K
5) 33_99B
6) 214~3B:B
7) 236~2B, A
8) 1B:B
9) WS A
10) B+K

I'm not going to add anything significantly different from what's already been said, but I gave this some thought and have my top 10 for discussion:

1./ 2363B, 33_99B
2./ FC_2142K
3./ JFT
4./ A+G_214B+G
5./ FC_2143B:B
6./ 1A: A: A
7./ 1B:B
8./ 2A
9./ 3A/4K/3K (yes, I'm listing 3 moves, because I see them all as different "flavours" of the same move function).
10./ CE

Honourable Mentions:

A+B (utility)
ag:B (no defensive jumping option selects for you, sir)
8A+BB (combos)
2A BE (combos)
44B+K BE (punish)
22AA hits all the time
2145K (fastest SAFE mid)
WR B (sexy combos, back-step killer)
66B (don't duck that throw...)

is ag:B (just) -23 or -13 on block? The guide says -13 but I don't think it is.
Definitely not -13. Closer to -23. Whatever the book data for the non-JF agB on block says is also true for ag:B.

This had me fooled at first too, until I tested it.

I'll rattle off this move in button checks a couple of times just because I can, but I simply cannot justify this move for practical use. I know B4K4 has his own view on it, but to me, regarding anti air, JF Twister covers more options. =/

Maybe against Astaroth seeing as he can't punish shit and hates TC moves? (I only say this because the good Doctor suggested it ages ago, lol)

I'll rattle off this move in button checks a couple of times just because I can, but I simply cannot justify this move for practical use. I know B4K4 has his own view on it, but to me, regarding anti air, JF Twister covers more options. =/

Maybe against Astaroth seeing as he can't punish shit and hates TC moves?

i dont see how you guys dont recognize the awesomness of agB. First of all its essential for wallcombos. Then its fucking 130 DMG punisher after a step. If you have a read on your opponent, step into agB has its uses. Also you can agB punish Cervantes 1AB, which you hate so much. 130 DMG for a blocked low isnt too bad.

I dont know how its post patch, but pre patch the good thing was that the aG cancelled your step, against Siegs 3B on close Range etc it was just sick.

Even though its really unsafe, risk reward is still ok. And for wallcombos its really worth to learn.

But for block punishment 2143A+B is easier, nets similair damage and has huge RO potential in the combo. I get the risk/reward, but he has similair reward/lower risk options generally I feel - eg 1B:B. Wallcombos I agree, but strictly speaking, that's garunteed damage. =/

Its like B+K - what's the point when you have 33B, save reverse RO?
My 2C on it, but you're probably right, lol.

You have a point with 2143A+B. When i think about it its maybe even the better solution after step, since you can still 214 Cancel...harder Input but well. Hmmm im not sure....still wallcombos get imba, so having ag:B in the repertoire is pretty damn good. I know Maxou also doesnt use it at all, but he loosing so much damage also on walls. Its really easy to land a 22BA wallsplat after 2A BE, its just wasted potential if you dont go for agb.

What is your favoured wall combo after a 22BA splat? I normally just fire off a 1B:B combo because I have no imagination, lol.

What is (was) good in agB punish after step (and not only) was the input. You cant input 2363B in 3 frames, you cant input 2143A+B in 3 frames, and for practical use when you want to have precision you wont be able do them faster then 10 frames or so (where 3-4 frame agB is very practical).
I was using (or maybe even abusing) it in sc3 and later in sc4, I could do it as instinctive as a single button press, thx to it it was a very serious punish tool after step with good TC properties (in sc4 better then 33B or even 2A). You could even TC some moves on reaction with it.
Sure it's a risky move, but somehow it worked for me, I could compete with Di or Ring even in sc4 with I didn't played much, somehow with good reads you could take much more dmg then loose.

As for now I still didn't played with it after a patch. Patch did killed some of this move for me. You cant make mini SS (for B, 3K etc) to ag:b, you have to wait full 20 frames of SS and then make agB. For 3K or any other fast pokes, 40 frame move will be just too slow. You can always make it by ag:B~B when canceling SS but you will also loose some of the precious frames.

Yes thats what i meant with the patch, prepatch it was really awesome. Now i cant really tell, dont play alpha anymore these days...

You have a point with 2143A+B. When i think about it its maybe even the better solution after step, since you can still 214 Cancel...harder Input but well. Hmmm im not sure....still wallcombos get imba, so having ag:B in the repertoire is pretty damn good. I know Maxou also doesnt use it at all, but he loosing so much damage also on walls. Its really easy to land a 22BA wallsplat after 2A BE, its just wasted potential if you dont go for agb.

214~3A+B is better than ag:B most of the time. Easier, faster, safer.
22BA wall splat is situational. It depends on how high the wall splat happens.
I always imput 236 when there is a wall splat:
- if there's a low wall splat I can make 236~2BA again into a high wall splat.
- if there's a high wall splat, I can make 236~3B into CH 33B wall combo.

So yes, I do end up losing damage. But I am way more consistent with this.

Only problem is : sometimes, 33B hits and there's no CH. No NH lauch either. They're just hit and left standing.
EDIT : Happens with FC 3A+B 33B 214~3B:B BE 22BA combo. Does a wall splat. There agB is interesting.

Also you can agB punish Cervantes 1AB, which you hate so much. 130 DMG for a blocked low isnt too bad.

You can punish Cervantes 1AB with 214~3A+B, which is easier and nearly as damaging as agB for a lesser risk.

Back