Animal Kingdom - Time to use parts you never use !

Frog in action.

frog.jpg

BTW @ Left4Dead, I thought that white skin didn't look good on him, because the whitness of the skin is different than that of his head. So I gave him a skin thight shirt instead. After making these pictures I did edit him to have the lines down his arms though.

IMAG0057.jpg

I'm trying hard to see a Frog head, but I just keep seeing a mutant cat with two glowing balls in his head.

LMAO

I see a frog and a nice one at that ! Especially on the last pic, it looks great.
Ok, pics are blurry, but thanks taking them...

View attachment 29143View attachment 29144View attachment 29145View attachment 29146View attachment 29147

..It took me a while to find him. (It is not wise to let him out of your sight for too long)

... I hate posting old stuff though so I will work on something new, but it might take a little while. :)

Hi, this was the one i was talking about, i did wondered how you did the nose for a while, but i managed to redo a pig nose myself using the cylinder and the horns, and it looked just like yours ;o)

yes, i'd love to see your new stuff...take your time, i have a few ideas of my own, meanwhile, i can repost my santa's reindeer here

cbz91cy6ie3d2p1ek.jpg

cbz925harbmfygtwc.jpg

cbz91vvf3xbovd1ss.jpg

LOL .... I am at a loss for words..... The comic.... Bizarre ...frightening.... Funny....

Wow

Your other new animal stuff is cool as well... If you have them I wouldn't mind seeing full body shots though.
:)

Wow, that Marsupilami is utterly brilliant!

I also like the parrot concept. The head is certainly well done. I think It's going to take some work to make it come together, but I'm sure you can do it.

thx to you all - now i dont want to be in the spotlight too much since this is a creativity challenge thread ... please enter and no prob if it is old...as long as it is cool ! just trying to give you the drive to do something truly fresh because for me this is a whole new world of possibilities so i just need to hold back a bit...

LOL .... I am at a loss for words..... The comic.... Bizarre ...frightening.... Funny....

Wow

Your other new animal stuff is cool as well... If you have them I wouldn't mind seeing full body shots though.
:)

will be hard if you mean parrot n hyena - in meant concept as sort of sketchy / unfinished business ... deleted them to make room for other experiments muhahaha ;o

Thanks for the invite, Vil. I've actually been working on a series of non-human characters, so I can compete on quantity if not quality. A few have appeared in the tips thread.

The Dragons
Like vampires, dragons appear in many cultures, seemingly independent. Perhaps they're as ancient as Soul Edge and Soul Calibur! One has an over-sized arm, the other an oversized head:
Dragon Red.png
Dragon Blue.png
For Nightmare, I used Aeon's head but gave it a crest, and for Pat I made a tongue from a mask to turn the dragon helmet into a head. For Nightmare, I put scales on the slops, because the shiny texture seems to accentuate the bump map, and likewise the rubber unitard for the blue dragon's hide.

Mid-East
Assyria and Babylon made statues of lamasu and shedu, winged lions or cattle respectively, with the heads of men, but there was a variant: A winged man with the head of a bull, sort of like a minotaur. Statues of Assyrian warriors depict either axes or bows, with the archers seeming to be the elite, so I chose that for my shedu and gave him Devil Jinn's style. Assyrians made armor from bronze scale, and the fish motif figured in their religious iconography.

Moving on to Egypt, I made a sphinx: Winged lion with a goat's head (like the statues at Luxor). I needed both the cat and raccoon tails to make a lion tail. With both the shedu and the sphinx, the animation of the wings looks good - it happens fast enough that you don't see two sets of wings unless you specifically watch for it. Instead, it just looks like the wings spread. Also here I have Horus, in this case made without the eagle head (so I'm not sure if he counts as an entry) because I wanted something with more personality. I plan more of the Egyptian deities, but there's not much available, in terms of Egyptian motifs in the design elements, to differentiate them.

Also not as an entry but to continue the theme, here's Algol as a genie. Notice the bottle he lives in, the world within reach but beyond the grasp of hands manacled with magical inscriptions.
Shedu.png
Sphinx.png
Horus.png
Djinn.png

The Orient
India gives us the legend of the rukshasha, sometimes described as a tiger-demon. India also gives us the urumi, or real-life whip-sword, so of course I gave him Ivy's style.

Japan gives us the legend of the tengu, an anthropomorphic crow, sought out by samurai as mentors in swordsmanship, so of course this is Mitsurugi.
Rukshasha.png
Tengu.png

Tribal Contrast
The gnole is a wily hyena-man from tribal legends of Africa, an enemy who usually tricked his human prey, but could sometimes be outwitted in turn. This one carries a rusty machete, a vest of zebra fur which he hunted himself, and pants of rawhide, probably from the same zebra. [EDIT: Made the ears bigger per Vil's hyena concept, about double original area; is that enough?]

The jaguar warrior of Central America is a parallel of the Viking berserk (literally bear-shirt), not an enemy but a tribal hero who transforms under the spirit of the jaguar. Seen here he wields an over-sized macuatl, a wooden sword with teeth or jagged stones to make a blade, and he carries a javelin to throw with his atlatl. His armor is wooden, with a skirt of colorful feathers to stop projectiles.
Gnole.png
Jaguar.png

Greece
What can you make with the snake hair except a gorgon? Pyrrha Omega is the fourth sister, with a mask to hide the countenance that turns men to stone, only the inhuman eyes visible, has the usual tusks and wings and of course snakes for hair (and not just on her head). She fights with a mirrored shield left behind by one of the heroes who tried to slay her.

The satyr here is a survivor into Roman times, forced to fight with a manicus as a gladiator. Pyrrha's style expresses his reluctance, but it's overcome with a whip; sorry you can't see the scars in frontal view. Note the pipes.

For completeness' sake I'll include a Neriad and Pyrrha as a Dryad, though they don't actually use animal parts, and the minotaur I'll save for another section, but here's Astaroth as a cyclops, not the barbarous kind that fought Odysseus but one of the master craftsmen who builds "cyclopean" fortresses.
Gorgon.png
Satyr.png
Mer.png
Dryad.png
Cyclops.png

Europe
My first CAS was a werewolf with Hilde's style, intended to represent her dad and explain the particular form of "animalistic" insanity he suffers.

Also here is Ziggy as the Horned Lord, leader of the Wild Hunt in Celtic myth and a prominent figure in Wicca. Fey faces appear in his pauldrons, and he has organic patterns throughout his costume; the greaves are supposed to look like bark.

A couple of sprites, for the insect wings.

I'll spare you the angels and devils, except for Viola as a placeholder, dressed as a witch of conservative taste. I find I get a lot of mileage from the basic striped pattern; in this case it ties together the hip skirt with Oprah's top. Appropriately, the malfested hand is the one Viola slashes with.
Wolfkrone.png
Horned Lord.png
Meerschaum.png
Pisk.png
Devil Witch.png

Old West
Vil, you taught me to see Tyra's hoop as a lasso, so here's a horse as a cowboy. Since you can't combine pants and hooves, I used a plaid unitard with a blue sticker on each leg (leaving two sticker slots for back pockets) and the bolt as a buckle to cover the interface and suggest the existence of a belt. Unseen in frontal view, the legionaire's plume provides a horse tail.

And here's that minotaur, too, wearing the "Lazy Eight" cattle brand - hmm, need to make that look like a scar. [EDIT: Can't make it look like a scar, too smooth.] The ring in the bull's nose is the snake horn. The white horns on a black head require generous use of stickers. If you want to continue the theme of Ancient Greece in the Old West, just switch that bandana for wings to make the horse into Pegasus.
Cowhorse.png
Minotaur.png

Other Anthropomorphs
Papa Bear resembles your Pandaristocrat, Vil. I use the profile of Pyrrha as Goldilocks on his character card. He's following the "Dress for Success" formula of navy blazer, gray slacks, and maroon tie.

The samurainocerus is the only rhino I could make, because only the boy's festival armor blends the edge of Rock's headgear. Again I used the slops to accentuate the bumpmap on the legs, but it's sea king's gambeson for the hands and tabi for the feet. I needed two objects for the lower jaw, and of course one for the tail, the cat tail, deformed and patterned, with only the last segment protruding, though you can't see it in frontal view.

Xiba acts like a monkey, so here he is as one; I think the lion sticker looks more like a baboon when you lighten the lines, don't you?

Maxi's a pirate, so I made him a macaw, specifically a green-wing. I used spheres to make the mostly bare patches around the eyes, with a pattern for that tracery of fine feathers. Looks like I'm on the same page as your parrot concept but I don't recognize the species of yours.

Cervantes appears as a fox, just because. Notice the fox heads on his shoulders. The turtle shell ain't so great as a hat, but it's the only option, and a pirate captain should have a hat, donchathink?

Zwei is a firehouse dog, a dalmation naturally. The cigar is important; it covers one bar of the muzzle's grill, so that the other two appear as crooked teeth. I had to use cowhide pattern on the small parts (tail, ears, muzzle) to match the scale of the spots on the body. That's the mummy's wrap to include the head, so I had to use stickers for eyes.

Kilik is a lion, based on Vil's concept but with the jaguar head. Tiger has better shape of ears, but I wanted the smaller head so I could bring in the racoon tails into something like a tripod: 2 form the sides of the mane, angled to meet in back, while the third forms the front, both on the forehead and at the throat. And since only the tips of ears are visible, no need to worry that they're not round enough.

And here's my favorite, Hilde as a ladybug, fighting with a blade of grass. She doesn't use an animal head but she does use the beetle horns. Bat wings for the carapace, opened to reveal her insect wings, and ladybug markings on her helmet. Since all of the bug parts attach to her armor, it might be better to think of her in ladybug costume rather than as an anthropomorphic bug, so maybe that disqualifies her from the contest.
Papa Bear.png
Samurainocerus.png
Baboon.png
Macaw.png
Fox.png
Firehouse Dog.png
Lion.png
Ladybug.png

Wow !

First the trademark Gef cultural and historical references (i started reading the whole litterature without looking at the pics, and it really made me drool, and i learned quite a few things)...

Then the trademark Gef R&D explaining all the little design choices to match the authenticity of the myhological/real characters they are inspired from...

i really like your approach...

About the CAS themselves, i won't be making any comments on the colors themselves because...well...i know about you, the only thing i need to say is that (maybe the pics) some parts are really too dark on screen (like the horse head and Tengu head, and it kinda distracted me)

My favourites (on topic) are the Red Dragon in all its scaley glory, the Winged Lion (for the use of the goat head), The Hyena (yes, use my concept, because it looks too much like a wolf), and the last bunch of antropomorphs are really well done as well, but my vote (there is no vote, just a figure of speech) goes to that insanely hilarious firework dog face, because it really looks like a goofy dog face...of course i love the other ones as well (panda/bearistocrat is cool)

Off topic, your sprites and witch are lovely, but that Lady Bug Hilde struck me silly, because...well...strong theme and great exectution !

Thanks for sharing all the lore and cool CAS GEF...

An attempt at recreating sonic, epic fail (just sharing for the laughs)

cc9qzzrhgiev3mhdw.jpg

I really think the eagle head has a lot of potential, i started messing around with trying to do a vulture, used the beak's tip to mimic the vulture's tongue (for fun)

cc9r17vctft1ufj44.jpg

cc9r21kadjxgakr5w.jpg

cc9r2bm75fn90ii6c.jpg

This one i did for Lil Vil (and kept), Tom and Jerry remember, one of my favourites cartoon series when i was a kid :

cc9r2j2vhnsmngy9w.jpg

cc9r3sqn55bb7aves.jpg

cc9r2w2g6id9dw4n8.jpg

cc9r347jj98n4fmo4.jpg

and a bonus pic to show R&D on the nose colors (for Gef i guess ;o) :

cc9r3c0yplzwwe4xw.jpg

Back