Arrogance VS Confidence: Where is the line?

Laswagga

[09] Warrior
This is a question i've been thinking about a lot recently for two reasons.

1] My experience with Street Fighter has really brought a lot of my trash talk into the light for me. When I bought the game, I was sure that i'd be able to win from the start with no practice. Its been three months since then, and i'm barely cracking 3000 GP and I might win 10 matches in 3 hours on a good day. I'm constantly pissed off with this game, and i'm coming to realise that its my arrogance that makes me hate Street fighter, and not so much the game itself. (That said, online is still fucking aggrovating.)

2] When I picked up Soul Calibur IV, I lost a lot. But then I went and put a massive amount of my time into practicing my match ups, and testing for a character that felt natural to me. Once I got that done, I went online and started my account over. I've quit playing online so much recently, but the win/lose record I was sitting on when I left was like Wins: 1678 Losses: 199. Now we all know that online doesn't mean much, and it definately doesn't determine the best of the best, but it is legit enough to count for a little practice against a human opponent. I go into all of my matches 90% sure that i'm going to win, or atleast do better than I did before. This, is my confidence in action.

Now, on to my main point. Recently, i've had a lot of people challenge me on my PSN comment that reads "#1 Setsuka player." I made this comment jokingly, but a lot of people have decided to try and test my claim in some kind of attempt at making me look bad. Does having enough confidence in yourself to the point where you openly feel that you're #1 at something make the difference between arrogance and confidence? And when someone crosses that line, do you jump to put them in their "place" or do you laugh it off until it proves worth the effort?

This is about Offline and not so much online, but if online experience is all you have feel free to comment anyway.

I know you totally obliterated my ass when I played you a few times.....

Depends, I don't care about someone saying they're the "best Asty" for instance because I don't main that character, but if someone said they're an awesome Raphael, I'd want to try them to see if they're full of shit or serious.

Saying you're #1 at ANYTHING is assuming arrogance anyway, because their's always other people you haven't played out there who I'm sure could whoop your ass. For example Laswagga, you wouldn't say you're the "best SETZ in the world" would you? You could say you're a "good Setsuka" and that would be confidence talking, not arrogance. Arrogance is bred from ignorance, confidence is just knowing what you can and can't do, and how you stand toward the majority.

Guess it depends on an individuals view and the way the comment or whatnot was made. Some may see it as arrogant some may see it as confidence. Most of the time, in my case for instance if you post something like that it would make me wanna test that theory. It can come off as being cocky and it can make others think that it'll be funny when they put you in the dirt or something. I'm usually just humble about stuff like that. Even if I do think I'm number 1 I don't broadcast it. I just play. Plus I always keep in mind that there's somebody better out there. That's how life works.

In a nutshell, the way something is stated can mean the difference between it being confident and arrogant. Especially through text as it's hard to convey emotion.

Well since we are only talkin about a game, a player can be confidence or arrogant or whatever I am fine with it as long as they are fun to fight with and not a noob.

Confidence : a feeling or consciousness of one's powers or of reliance on one's circumstances

Arrogance: an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions

You can possess both. They do not contradict.

So which is it, you made that #1 Setsuka player comment jokingly, or you "openly feel that you're #1"? In either case, you're not the #1 Setsuka player so there isn't really anything more to discuss.

I used to be an arrogant, self-important know it all, so I went to a hypnotist to see if he could help me.

Now I'm perfect.

Come to terms with the fact you're no HolyForce and settle for what mediocre talent your pathetic existance has been afforded thru fate's pity.

i think a small amount of arrogance can sometimes also help. if you start in a match with the idea "i'm better, i'm going to win 4sure" and you get beat up like shit. it puts you back where you belong and gives you a motivation to hit practice mode again and work on your chars. in this case a bit of arrogance will get you further then , just accepting the other guy is better then you.

If I see anything in the PSN comments, I assume it's a joke. "What? His comment says 'Lizardman liek hat'! That is absolutely not true and I shall challenge him to the death on it!"
If you're messaging people and saying that, it's arrogance.

im far too arrogent when playing online, i occasionally get humbled, but if you play decent you might aswell get your jollys and be an ass. im gonna change my xblive sig to '#1 cassandra player' because, well... its true!

Back