Astaroth a crutch for less skilled players?

subsmoke

[10] Knight
I was looking up stuff about Soul Calibur and ran into Astaroth's page on wikipedia and it says Astaroth is described as easy to master and a crutch for less skilled players. And I was like wtf, who says that? As far as I know most players think of Astaroth as a skill character. I changed it but then some guy changed it back and I'm not gonna sit there and go back and forth with him. If yall want to try then you can, just check the discussion page. But anyways, do any of you think Astaroth is a cheap overpowered character? To me that's just crazy talk.

No such thing as cheap.

It makes sense why people would think that though. Astaroth does pretty great damage, and unless you know how to break throws and defend against his move set you will be taking quite a bit of that damage. And because new/casual players generally don't know how to defend properly against him (especially throws), they just write it off as being cheap.

Astaroth is a good character, but by no means overpowered. If you are familiar with his moves and know how to defend against them he is just like any other character.

I'd like to see the citation for sources on that one, lol.

Sources: Online players who are bad, specifically, ones who lose to 1(A) lagspam and can't break grabs, so they duck and get bullrushed out of the ring.

That's what I'm imagining that looks like.

-Idle

No such thing as cheap? Not even Night Terror? haha :)

Anyways yeah I can see why someone that has never played a fighting game before would say that but wikipedia makes it sound like most players think Astaroth is broken and overpowered and I've never heard anyone say that. I'm pretty sure most players agree that faster characters are easier to use, not just in this game but in any fighting game.

I'm pretty sure most players agree that faster characters are easier to use, not just in this game but in any fighting game.

Not necessarily true. Taki is fast, so is Talim (Kinda). They are both characters who are hard to master. This whole Asta discussion is similar to hundreds of others about characters like Soph and Kilik and Mitsu. There are certain characters who are easy to win when competing against lesser opponents because of their lack of experience. Therefore some people tag them as easy to use and overpowered. Once you learn a little about them and start competing at higher levels most characters do require plenty of time and skill to master. You cant just depend on the initial tools you deemed overpowered because pro's know how to deal with them very well.

Ash isn't scary at all. He's easy to beat after you figure him out.

0_o Who have you been playing lol? Im pretty sure everyone here will agree that Asta is a scary guy to go against if you opponent knows how to play with him. Even if you know the match-up.

Well, when this game was hot. I played guys like Ash 136 and some Ashses here in chitown. I never saw him much and when I do I would always win.

for me is right to say that astaroth is a problem for beginners.
Between a 1% of players who learns frames, mixups, reverse mixups etc etc, there are a 99% who just want to play for fun...
Well characters like kilik, astaroth and maybe cervantes seems really too strong without studying deeply the game...whereas a character like Hilde seems awful....
Consider that a lot of ppl quit the game for those reasons...
Its also good to say that we all have been scrubs before learning a fighting game...so a game that is balanced only for very experienced players will probably have a lower player base and be less popular.
I still read on a lot of forum how sc4 would be good if it wasn't "scrubbish" and "unbalanced" from tons of players....(obviously that didn't played enough the game but maybe for that same reason).

No such thing as cheap.

It makes sense why people would think that though. Astaroth does pretty great damage, and unless you know how to break throws and defend against his move set you will be taking quite a bit of that damage. And because new/casual players generally don't know how to defend properly against him (especially throws), they just write it off as being cheap.

Astaroth is a good character, but by no means overpowered. If you are familiar with his moves and know how to defend against them he is just like any other character.

Totally this. Asta becomes more challenging for the players who use him when they face stronger opponents. Sometimes it´s like a cake walk for me, and sometimes it is just horrible... Astas success in SCIV depens imo heavily on the match up he is facing and the Asta frames knowledge of the opponent... Oh and of course the skill of the player using Asta.

And BTW, SCIII Asta was "much" stronger, just saying.

i'm pretty sure there are wikipedia sites that will tell you that the holocaust never happened...

astaroth is a crutch fo................WORRRRRRRRRRRRRMS!

Easy character to master.
No. It's easy to memorize his move list and he doesn't have any gimiks lick stances or charges, so developing a base with him is very easy..but mastering him is something else. I always tell new people to start with someone like Asta, but when you grasp the character shop around because he requires work despite and a lot of thought behind his game play. I have much respect for high level Asta players.

Crazyyoshimitsu: with your post saying you've never played JAG, myself, or Saitoh doesn't mean you've played good Asta's then. Therefore you are irrevelant :D

JAG, i agree wholeheardtly that SC3 was much stronger then SC4. However, i just wish SC4 kept the A Animation throw. Plus i didn't mind making the 2A+K throw unbreakable. Also, i do believe that it is some online scrubs who don't know how simple astaroth's game really is. I really laugh at the fact that they eat bullrush all day. Even a yoshi player tried to Dragonfly me...i lol'd when i 28:B+G him out of that stance...

:D

I won't lie, I started playing Asta cause he is easy to use. His mix-up and wake-up game can get complicated if you want it to be, but at its heart playing Asta(at least in this installment) is like riding a bicycle.

I'm kinda embarrassed to admit that asta is one of the 2 characters in this game I can't even beat terrible players with(the other one being talim)

lol @ anyone saying asta isn't scary apparently you have never seen bull rush or command grabs

I was looking up stuff about Soul Calibur and ran into Astaroth's page on wikipedia and it says Astaroth is described as easy to master and a crutch for less skilled players. And I was like wtf, who says that? As far as I know most players think of Astaroth as a skill character. I changed it but then some guy changed it back and I'm not gonna sit there and go back and forth with him. If yall want to try then you can, just check the discussion page. But anyways, do any of you think Astaroth is a cheap overpowered character? To me that's just crazy talk.

I play Astaroth as my main now and here's why: "Astaroth is described as easy to master and a crutch for less skilled players." LOL, Nah, but he is easiest to play and with good results. My personal weakness is primarily two things: inexperience and ignorance. I don't know matchups too well in this game, therefore my movement is limited as I'm afraid to leave myself open and because of this immovability, have difficulty moving in and setting up for a good offense with characters like Amy, who though are mad good, have short range. Astaroth compliments my defensive style of play. So would Kilik, but IDK... After watching SU, don't much feel like Kilik. Kna'mean?

Back