Astaroth Videos Thread

^ Well its not the most useful thing for damage vs meter but its probably pretty good for putting off your opponent. I'll have to remember the BE bullrush into BT B+K for when peeps break my ground grab after a w!.

*How did you get that BT B+K to happen after the 66K BE w!? I can't recreate it, even when they kinda go behind he still does the forward facing B+K.

How did you get that BT B+K to happen after the 66K BE w!? I can't recreate it, even when they kinda go behind he still does the forward facing B+K.

Ranked match against Nightmare. Had a few screw-ups, mostly input mistakes like the first round where I meant to do the command grab and did normal B grab.

Smilez (Yoshimitsu) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Dusk0Naka (Natsu) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Something-Unique (Pyrrha) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Smilez (Yoshimitsu) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Dusk0Naka (Natsu) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Something-Unique (Pyrrha) VS Xephukai (Astaroth)

Great showing for Astaroth dude! I was glad to be able to actually see one compete at EVO. Now I know for a fact you have reached a higher level than me (I mean top 8..that's REALLY good), and I know Something-Unique's yomi is excellent, but I am going to give you some gameplay advice for your last match video.

I know that you feel the most comfortable being up close and in your opponents face with Asta which is normally good, but against a char like Pyrrah you may need to back off a little more. Let her lead the offense until you can expose her, or try to open her up with mid ranged pokes. I saw you use 4A and 44B G alot which was good, but try using moves such as A, AA and AB more. Even things like A into a throw work well to open some people's defense. Be careful when using BT B+K. It's a great move for sure, but in order for it to work you need to mix things up while BT. It's not as easy as it was in SC4 because BT 2K doesn't knockdown in this game..>.< Use moves like BT A or BT 2A to get him to stop stepping around you.

In your other videos you exposed them quite badly, so good job for that. We should get some games in sometime, if you can stand playing in lag anymore. XD

really great showing xeph. congrats. mind if i ask why you used astaroth against su though? that matchup has always been awful for the big man.

Xeph definitely needed more 44A in his last matches against Pyrrha. The Pyrrha matchup is just bad, and regular ol' Pat may have helped you out better.

Other than that, he repped the big man just fine.

Good job Xeph, your Asta is a lot different from others I saw around.

May I ask you why don't you spend BE bar to increase throw damage? I see you like to use GI a lot, feature I nearly forgot in SC V, since the post GI game for Asta is so crappy. Do you think GIs are useful to avoid mixups, not too risky?

Last question, I see your're doing 22AA on hit, 4B+K. That's a wierd setup, you hope to make people's retailations whiff?

really great showing xeph. congrats. mind if i ask why you used astaroth against su though? that matchup has always been awful for the big man.
Even after the beating SU put on me, I feel the match up is 5:5. I was just outplayed. MLG Anaheim, I was one hit away from beating SU- he came back full force at EVO with a gameplan. Excessive use of TC's; abusing my lack of a fast mid, and baiting 66K:BE. Oh, and thanks.

Good job Xeph, your Asta is a lot different from others I saw around.

May I ask you why don't you spend BE bar to increase throw damage? I see you like to use GI a lot, feature I nearly forgot in SC V, since the post GI game for Asta is so crappy. Do you think GIs are useful to avoid mixups, not too risky?

Last question, I see your're doing 22AA on hit, 4B+K. That's a wierd setup, you hope to make people's retailations whiff?
GIing is essential, in my opinion, when using Astaroth. Other than that, JGing is your only other options to halt mix ups. You usually get a free throw attempt with a GI. Also, for immediate attack, 66AB does 54DMG-62 with clean hit. His delay game after a GI is probably some of the best in the game.

After 22AA on HIT, using 4B+K will punish whiffs. I wouldn't reccomend the set up VS longer ranged characters, though. A lot of players who have faster attacks at their arsenal try to interrupt my advantage after 22AA on HIT. I've just picked up using 4B+K.

Ok on GI. I think I'll try implementing them in my game, as soon as I'll remember I have to do it with 3 buttons ^^'

About 4B+K, if you connect the AT, what's your best, guaranteed damage? I saw a lot of fuss in this section, but followups seem a lot different from character to character.

You had a great success in dealing with mitsus with Patroklos, do you feel the matchup that bad for asta?

Ok on GI. I think I'll try implementing them in my game, as soon as I'll remember I have to do it with 3 buttons ^^'

About 4B+K, if you connect the AT, what's your best, guaranteed damage? I saw a lot of fuss in this section, but followups seem a lot different from character to character.

You had a great success in dealing with mitsus with Patroklos, do you feel the matchup that bad for asta?
214A Tech traps after 4B+KB. Mix that up with 22_88K:BE- or, use 1AA. 1AA Idn't guaranteed, last I checked, but you have to get up and guard in a weird timing. Mix that up with 214A tech trap.

Astaroth VS Mitsurugi, in my opinion, is a 7:3 match up in Mitsurugi's favor. Anyone with fast TC's/excellent frames is going to be a problem for the big guy, but his mid range tools rival Astaroth's. His mix up, in general, is disgusting; and for punishment, which you need VS Mitsurugi, Astaroth doesn't get a lot. For 2KB:BE, I've found that your best punish without meter is 66B (32DMG). If you can JG the "B" for 2KB:BE, You can get a free 66AB (54-62DMG). With meter, you can CE/or 66K:BE for 56DMG or potential oki.

Thanks for the post 4B+K suggestions, I'll try them.

As for the Asta-Mitsu matchup, I never played really good Mitsus in SC V, so I can't say if I agree or not. On the paper I think it's 6-4.

i got second at a regional yesterday using mostly the big man.

winners finals at around 2:36:00, grand finals at 3:16
http://www.twitch.tv/consolecombat/b/332428286

grand finals continue here
http://www.twitch.tv/consolecombat/b/332447740

i really got reckless and did not adapt at all. it got pretty bad during the reset in grand finals. just watching it again, there are definitely some things i would have done differently (like not trying to get a ring out with 28B+G....). still ended up being very close

I practiced wall combos and got to do them in the very first match!
Though none of them worked the way they were supposed to.
I guess the walls are too round in that stage.
I can't tell if I'm out of practice or perhaps there was some kind of weird lag; all my command grabs are messing up.

I practiced wall combos and got to do them in the very first match!
Though none of them worked the way they were supposed to.
I guess the walls are too round in that stage.
I can't tell if I'm out of practice or perhaps there was some kind of weird lag; all my command grabs are messing up.

The one major problem I saw... You are using CAS...

The CAS do not have the same range as Astaroth, and will not be able to do the same combos as him. You are missing out on damage opportunities during wall combos and mid screen not only because of lag.

If you want more help don't be afraid to message me, but your first great step should be to just stop using CaS. They are banned anyways...XD

Back