Astaroth Vids

It baits people to give you frame advantage in close range. If you let go early they'll just block and if he'd held it any longer he'd have been hit by the Taki's A. Cancel to WR K might have worked, but it's unsafe so you cant blame someone for not using it.

It baits people to give you frame advantage in close range. If you let go early they'll just block and if he'd held it any longer he'd have been hit by the Taki's A. Cancel to WR K might have worked, but it's unsafe so you cant blame someone for not using it.

If he hadn't let go and blocked at the right time he'd have eaten the counter hit anyway, and if he does it too early he's pretty much frozen up for whatever mix up she wants to pull out. Its not like taki is going to get up and throw some slow re actionable attack if she's under UB pressure and needs to make a quick decision. So if he's going to guess on timing, I don't see why he isn't going for damage... and instead is going for frame advantage.

Well he cancelled the UB cause the Taki attacked. I think thats all. Maybe he was going for UB Cancel into Command Throw, which would work if Taki would have stepped. UB Cancel into 6K would be ok, cause like suirad said you always gain some Freeze Momentum. But but i think in this case he wanted to go for the UB, since he cancelled pretty late. Maybe if the Taki would have stepped instead of AAing he could have just gone for 44B~G~Command Throw. Nobody knows.

Cancel into WS A or WS K is kind of strange imo. Its way to slow. If you Cancel a Move, you gotta go for a quick poke or Throw. If you first go into FC and then do a slow as hell Move, it wont work.

WS K is the same speed as 6K which is why I had said it might have worked. It's true with the WS A cancel though, usually you use that at range if anywhere.

lol That was Neo4life that was doing 3B without 2A+K follow up.

I am familiar with JAG da Gemini...since caliburforums, I remember specifically joking with him one time in a final he played against daGOTH's sophitia at GECON2006 during SC3...that if he hadn't won that fight I would have flown all the way to Germany and kicked his ass. lol

Pretty much his Asta plays the same. It's a close range pressure asta alot of 66K and 4Bs. BUT it isn't complete yet.
JAG (Asta) vs PB*Neo4Life (Kilik & Asta)
At 2:12 he does 4A+B doesn't tech trap with 2A+G_B+G.
Alot of 66K the kilik player could have used Asura and killed it. Didn't happen.

JAGTHEGEMINI (Asta) vs daGOTTh (Sophie) - Part 1
At 3:20 he does 3B BTW.
JAGTHEGEMINI (Asta) vs daGOTTh (Sophie) - Part 2
At :46 he does 4A+B doesn't tech trap with 2A+G_B+G.
He doesn't use 33_99K for ring positioning, or attempt for ringouts.
At 5:34 after blocking sophie's string of lows, he missed a free 2A+G_B+G.

JAG has good defense, which means he's a very good Asta despite the fact that he is still playing SC3 Asta.
He is good, but he still needs to level up. Sometimes I wondered why he didn't try 28B+G after 63214B+G instead of 22B especially since they do just about the same damage.

If you don't tech trap 4A+B you get wakes, that seems to be his preference... he doesn't tech trap CH 4B either if you notice.

Whats that about Ashura killing Bullrush? I think I need that spelled out.

Yeah Jag plays Asta the same way in every SC since DC afaik :) Its just so ridicolous effectiv. Its like he always knows what you are going to do. And he wants YOU actually to know what he is going to do, so he can do the opposite. It may look strange in videos, but its a pain to play against.

He just has some personal preferences, just like the Bullrush wall spam and 22B after the CT. But he does everything by purpose. Maybe he likes the space 22B gives you, dont know. You gotta know the Sophie is his brother, i dont think Tech Traps work well on him, but your right about the Throwattempt after 236236AA.

And what do you mean with Asura against 66K?? Asura does not work against 66K, thats why Asta is a good counterchoice for Kilik. Did you mean something different?

EDIT: LOl, Suirad, you posted exactly what i was going to say.

Well he cancelled the UB cause the Taki attacked. I think thats all. Maybe he was going for UB Cancel into Command Throw, which would work if Taki would have stepped. UB Cancel into 6K would be ok, cause like suirad said you always gain some Freeze Momentum. But but i think in this case he wanted to go for the UB, since he cancelled pretty late. Maybe if the Taki would have stepped instead of AAing he could have just gone for 44B~G~Command Throw. Nobody knows.

Cancel into WS A or WS K is kind of strange imo. Its way to slow. If you Cancel a Move, you gotta go for a quick poke or Throw. If you first go into FC and then do a slow as hell Move, it wont work.

canceling the 44B for a command throw, or anything else is just as clunky. if not more so, since the cancel leaves you in crouch to start. :p you're saying that while rising K is worse then waiting the frames to get standing and throwing out an i17 command throw?

I don't see it. If he was smelling a get up and step, or a get up and attack, he could have easily let 44b go and gotten himself a counterhit and another wake. canceling to block and freezing up doesn't make sense there. Maybe I'm missing something.

He could have just let it go if he was smelling attack. Gotten a free counter hit. Or do you think he's reacting to taki's AA on reaction? 9 frames is pretty generous for his reflexes I'd say.

Wow I can't believe this...Bullrush > Asura...OMG!

BeefyLoveLord
Him canceling 44B isn't relevant since he barely even uses it. You can't fault him for doing that just one time, in several matches.

He might've have been running up to do 4 but got 44 and realized not what he wanted so he canceled the attack?

Wow I can't believe this...Bullrush > Asura...OMG!

BeefyLoveLord
Him canceling 44B isn't relevant since he barely even uses it. You can't fault him for doing that just one time, in several matches.

I'm well aware, I was just saying that it didn't make sense when he did it, and people jumped up to defend him, so I started arguing for the sake of it.

Yoooooo lookin for some tips if you guys wouldnt mind checkin out a couple vids real fast :). Oh,and real fast,this was atthe end of a REALLY long tourny day so please disregard any 2,8B+G's that didnt come out >_<

tip1 Very few to none range control (22_88B, 4A, 66K, AB) this is an essential part of asta game and part of what makes him such a powerful character

tip2 Poor wakeups, 2A is a nono, try experimenting with unblockables, 44B, 44B~G into 4[A+B] (fully charged 44 is mad damage otg since its a ground stun = free 22B), 2A+K , 3B_3 are all very powerful wakeup tools if used correctly. Running into a throw is okay but not the best.

tip3 NM stances are completely fucked up by bullrush.

I feel that the anti-character strategies could be better all the C3 Gamestop matches.

Anyway, about your Asta ... good execution, but I think you more brave than I am when it comes to doing situational moves. Also really willing to give up guaranteed damage of CH 6K for tech trap (in my opinion this is not really worth it as the tech trap does not do significantly more damage) Your style seems to be more of an aggressive, closer range 50/50 (which is sorta big risk and big reward) kind, which is completely different from my style. I would say for your mid attack, try to use more bullrush instead of 6K so you don't get step-G or punished to death in the event you meet someone with great anti-Asta strategy. This is a polite way of saying you are a throw whore (just kidding, but you do like your instant command throws and do well with them)

Lastly, I would say using 2A as a wakeup tool is much smarter than using 44B and its variations. Compared to SC3, 4[A+B] has really bad recovery on whiff now and it's also more step-able. Again, this only matters when you play someone with great anti-Asta strategy.

i agree with belial, you need to work on your spacing and wakes. work on your range and spacing so dont whiff as much and consider trying to keep the them away from you, either agreesively by pushing them to the edge or defensively to chip away at their health. 4a, 44a, 66k 22b, ab, 44b, 3b, a+b are all good mid-far range spacing tools.

44 is a nice wake tool because you can cancel it completely and its nice to experiment with. 22b, 4b, 1b, throws all are good at different ranges. also remember you can use 2a+k if they roll at your feet.

3b_ and is good in general and one that you should try.

i would also suggest using 66[k] less as its reckless if you abuse it. also use A throws more, players are generally more afraid of astas b throw so they will be trying to break that.

and as suggested above, you need to work on your anti char eg. punish GS tranistions with bullrush and just punishing in general. blocking generic 2a/2k gets you free low grabs! you left a lot of them unpunished

your post GI seemed a bit weak as well, 66k, throws and 66[k] is pretty much the best options.

I would replace knee with 4b, you still get the knockdown and a 50/50 wake up option or another 4b, or you can just keep applying pressure.

You seem to like 22_88B4, I'm not to much of a fan of it. With the ducking throws thing I would just do bullrush after ducking a throw 3k(from crouching). With Cervy's 214b jf you get a free back throw that he can't break. You might have done it later but I might have missed that.

66[k] is only advantage at tip of bullrush not when you're up close. And it also has strange invisible hit boxes as well so even if they are on the side of you they will still have to block. Other than that pretty much all the stuff these guys said.

Thanks guys for the awesome feedback. I guess I do like to play a bit more aggressive with asta then I normally should, so I will work on the spacing stuff you guys said and post GI as well. I guess to me it seems asta's keep away game is pretty telegraphed and easy to GI, but I could be using it incorrectly, i'll work on it. Thanks again.

Everyone go watch Saitoh's new match videos from GIC 2K9 ! =P

Saitoh has really good use of B+K (B+K is a move that I would never use) ... also he punished several 2Ks with crouch throws. Nice reaction sir.

I would have to say the playing field is a lot more even this time. Saitoh didn't dominated like he did in RB3S2 and every player made some mistakes = side effects of a big tournament.

I've been using B+K a lot lately too. On hit, you get some nice throw mixups. On block, 6A,B beats a lot of stuff and 8B beats their tech crouching attacks.

I'll have to watch them later, but someone should link them over here...

Back