Astaroth's Top Ten Lists

GEMINI_KNIGHT

[09] Warrior
1) 634B+G. The most versatile command throw in the game. Can do from ten points less than, or the same amount of damage as Ivy’s SS, and if your opponent isn’t paying attention, you can do even more damage. Can set up RO’s and wallsplats no matter who is at the edge. Your opponent must respect its potential.

2) 634A+G. Not the most damaging command A throw in the game, but with the threat of 634B+G, this is the most annoying command A throw in the game. It does a quarter life, and your opponent is in a bad spot after this throw. Asta’s command throw game is the best because he doesn’t have to be in a certain state or stance, as they are always available to him in many situations.

3) 66K. Bull Rush. This IS Astaroth’s Signature move. Always knocks down, always RO’s/wallsplats, and always pushes your opponent back. It discourages your opponent from ducking, doing highs when at small adv/disadv, and forces your opponent to Re GI. On hit, 22_88B must be teched and defended. Against Re GI, full charged Bull Rush can take from over 1/3 to nearly half life.

4) 4A. When outside of throw range, this is your best step killer. RO’s/wallsplats right.

5) 6K. The Knee. As unsafe as it has become, it’s still a good move if used wisely. Perfect mixup on normal hit, can do a quarter of life on CH. It’s TC and TJ properties in its animation makes it ideal against quick highs and lows when at a disadvantage.

6) 6AB. One of the most damaging fast CH tools in the game. Can do a quarter of life damage.

7) 22_88B(~4). 22_88B is the staple damaging follow up for many of Asta’s attacks that allows it. After some attacks that knock down on hit, it must be guarded standing, forcing your opponent to lose a little bit off of the soul gage. 22_88B~4 is a very damaging tool after stepping attacks, with the potential to do 1/3 life of damage.

8) 2A+G_2B+G. Good tool for tech traps, wall splats, and after blocking 2K and other unsafe lows. Both can RO.

9) 4B/4. 4B is good when 6A gets TC’d on, and 6K isn’t fast enough. 4 is for when you have no idea what you want to do when you have the advantage, especially when your opponent’s back is to the edge.

10) GI. Astaroth is generally slow, and when fast characters get in on him, it’s trouble. Guarding is good to wait for your opponent to give you the advantage, but you have to watch your soul gage, and 6K won’t magic through mids. This is where GI shines, as Asta has good options after a repel or parry . After a repel, command throw attempts are pretty much guaranteed, and if you ever come across someone who can consistently JI them, then you have the back up of 66[K] or 44[A]. After a parry, your opponent must get up wisely and deal with the crouch throw/2A+K_2B+K mixup. Not many characters have a Post Repel mixup where they can take a quarter life if the opponent doesn’t Re GI(and in this case, doesn’t JI), and can take between a third to half life if they did.

Notables:
K. Decent speed. On hit, 6A will lose to Taki’s A, clash with X’s A and Amy’s 6B, and interrupts all other quick highs.

2K. Decent speed, but disadvantaged on any hit. Good when 6A get’s TC’d on and 4B isn’t fast enough.

2A. Decent when used outside of max throw range. Hard to punish when blocked at max range.

1) 63214:B+G
massive range, big damage, RO from follow ups from both sides... insane. JF version has much smaller break window so make sure you learn it. mix it up with a+g version too which is also pretty nice for mixups on wake.

2) 66k (bullrush)
fairly fast, mid, amazing tech crouch properties (as soon as it starts till it ends??), RO and spacing even on normal hit, free 22_88b on hit for sg damage, good wall rape follow ups. good for maintaining momentum even after blocked attacks... think people who reply with aa's, throws etc. i abuse the crap out of this.

3) low grabs
mix ups, tech traps, interupts (when you learn), low move block punishment, whiff punishment, wall rape, RO from both sides... so good.

4) 22_88b_b4
good range, damage and sg damage and spacing. amazing whiff punishment... 22_88b4, 28:b+g = 95 damage whiff punisher. you should only ever use 22_88b4 if you are SURE its going to hit, its massively unsafe if blocked unlike 22_88b. imo this is the best move to use if you're stepping and baiting for whiffs. oh and just to make this even better it also RO's over WALLS.

5) 4a
fast, good keep out, step killer. its still good even after the SG nerf and especially good on CH for spacing/RO/wall splat. be careful though if people advance with TC moves as its a high.

6)4b_
fast, mid, big damage mixups from 4b CH or 4 NH (low grab tech trap or ground grab for grounded which gives massive advantage for followups). 4 is great frames on block and both are okish SG damage.

7) 6k
fairly fast, mid, TC/TJ properties (though not immediate), excellent damage followups on CH. as said though because its now more unsafe you need to be wise about this... use sparingly when you think its going to CH and don't spam it.

8) 2_8a+b
huge range, mid, RO from both sides, kills step, good spacing. not much else to say, its great and many people under estimate the range.

9)44b_ (and cancels)
this is awesome mind game shit right here, amazing sg damage (8 hits), good range, free to charge as long as you like, big damage to people who panic, cancels to WR moves if they step.

10) k
this is astas fastest, safe move with good push out on both block and hit. you will need this as bullrush/knee sometimes just isn't fast enough. (i know 6a is faster than k but its unsafe on block and shit range)

these are my most used moves, but theres quite a few more i use in different situations too. also just to add to what gemini knight said, GI's are very important to asta because he still lacks the raw speed to deal with some shit and his post GI game is excellent... 63214:b+g, low grabs and bullrush for RO/spacing, 66[k] for re-GI

I also like 3B- good range but quick, and ready for follow up damage, especially if you use the unblockable version. I like to scare people into thinking that I'll do a ground throw (2A+K or 2B+K~ A+G) so that they'll immediately get up. But I start charging 3B or 44B and they get pwned.

1) 63214:B+G
massive range, big damage, RO from follow ups from both sides... insane. JF version has much smaller break window so make sure you learn it. mix it up with a+g version too which is also pretty nice for mixups on wake.
How do you get the JF? I didn't even know there was one

Googlemaster,

On the contrary, Bull rush and 3B are the only moves that Asta may have stolen from Rock, if you are familiar with Soul Edge/Soul Blade.

If you want to debate this, then PM me, and I can gladly lead you to the right direction. But please, refrain from posting this type of feedback, for it does not belong here.

If only I was a mod. Oh well, the PM never makes it to the right people. Duty is never done....

3ka can be good but i wouldnt over use it, its very easy to duck it on reaction and 3k[a] is slow so easy to block

is 66k ment to be safe on block? as when i was playing last night i got grabbed straight out of a blocked 66k some of the time, should i be following with a 6k or what? i thought 6k was unsafe and 66k was safe, maybe it was just the axis on where i hit maybe? isnt it ment to knock back?

Just because someone can grab at you doesn't mean the attack is unsafe. You still get time to duck or throw something with tech crouch if you think they'll grab. More importantly though, how did you end in grab range after 66K? One of the best things about bullrush is it pushes away on block.

66k is safe against everyone but taki i think. you can definitely crouch before you can get thrown and 66k should really push nearly everyone out of throw range anyway

1) 634B+G.
2) 634A+G.

3) 66K. On hit, 22_88B must be teched and defended.

9) 4B/4. 4B is good when 6A gets TC’d on, and 6K isn’t fast enough.

2K. Decent speed, but disadvantaged on any hit. Good when 6A get’s TC’d on and 4B isn’t fast enough.

Some of this information is wrong. First of all, is 634 a shortcut, or did you just not do the whole command?

2) 66K on hit they do NOT have to tech and defend 22B. they can also stay down and block 22B.
9) 6K is just as fast as 4B is. the only reason to do it is that it's a little safer and hits the ground. that's it.
2K is +2 on counterhit just like basically everyone's is, so it is not "disadvantaged on any hit"

To address some other posts, 66K (blocked) 66K will beat a throw attempt at any range. I'm sure you all do it at least sometimes. v_v Every time someone's back is to the edge and they try to throw after blocking bullrush, a puppy dies.

To address some other posts, 66K (blocked) 66K will beat a throw attempt at any range. I'm sure you all do it at least sometimes. v_v Every time someone's back is to the edge and they try to throw after blocking bullrush, a puppy dies.

this. i love br, br goodness.

Some of this information is wrong. First of all, is 634 a shortcut, or did you just not do the whole command?
That is how I do the command throw, and that is how I pull off the JF version a good percentage of the time.

2) 66K on hit they do NOT have to tech and defend 22B. they can also stay down and block 22B.
That I did not know. Thanks for the insight.
9) 6K is just as fast as 4B is. the only reason to do it is that it's a little safer and hits the ground. that's it.
According to the frame data, 4B is faster than 6K by a mere one frame. Other than that, 6K > 4B.
2K is +2 on counterhit just like basically everyone's is, so it is not "disadvantaged on any hit"
This I remembered a comment about it on CF.com, and I failed to test it out. Good looking out.

And nothing says "Your high attack was too slow..." like blocked bullrush into fully charged bullrush.

6K is just as fast as 4B is. the only reason to do it is that it's a little safer and hits the ground. that's it.

Not only posted frame data, but personal experience has led me to beleive 6K is i17 and 4B i16. There are some differences in TC properties too, but generally I agree that 6K is better.

I'll have to double check the 4B vs 6K speed, thanks for catching.

about 66K okizeme:
whether they tech or lie down, they must block 22B, however when this is blocked your pressure ends. CF damage is decent but, even with this, asta not gonna CF a good player unless he GIs them a lot.

Most people will tech after being hit by 66K. To take advantage of this, run into them and apply a 66K/grab mixup while they are still in recovery from the tech. For people who stay down on the ground, a dash with a single tap of 6, into a 4, hits siderolls for some reason (haven't tested that in a while though)

EDIT: yeah I was wrong about 4B and 6K, sorry bout that

Well...i guess here's my list....(it might be more then 10 tho)

1. 66K (aka Bullrush): Great move, lost the tracking. But still overall a Decent, safe move. Not really known to give advantage on block, but it does punish the duckers and opens up the mixup game.

2. 2A - Still a safe low (on hit) still has decent dmg. Good range, no reason not to use it.

3. 6A, B - Great dmg on CH, Good high move that's used to interrupt, just bad range. Dmg makes up for it tho.

4. 3A - Good move to stop steppers. On CH, opens up the mixup options

5. 4B or 4 - Lost tracking, fast, safe. Mid. Mixup game on CH.

6. 6K (aka the KNEE) - even tho it's unsafe (not as bad as everyone makes it out to be...) on CH GREAT GUARANTEED DMG!!! nice options on mixup game from normal hit.

7 . 4A+B - Great move, doesn't track as much, but still gives good mixup game on hit. reagardless....it'll make people scared.

8. 22_88B - Decent move on hit, ok dmg on SG. Best time to use it is on wake-up. or just being random....lol

9. Command throws - I grouped these together because they have their own different situations that the opponet needs to respect. A-throw is almost guaranteed dmg since everyone fears the B throw. And B Throw...well...people need to be scared of the b throw period, regardless of the situation.

10. A,B - Great Basic move, provides spacing. NC on hit. NO reason why it shouldn't be used.

Others that you can use...

2_8 A+B - Nice dmg on CH for steppers, kinda slow, but makes people respect it.

4A - Great high, KD on CH

Low throws - i would only use these to punish lows, or you're a habitual ducker.

1B - ok low....good for RO's (yes...people eat them...)

1K,A - ok...to do for frame traps. Thats all.

1K - By itself, it's got decent range, slow. but it's ok with the spacing it causes.

Regular throws - believe it or not, regular throws are beefed up somewhat. Mix them up in your throw game, trust me...it works.

That's basically it for me....there are others, ...but those are RARE moves that i would do from time to time....otherwise...that's my asta :)

Back