Astoroth is a beast

The fact that asta has probably close to the best range in the game, great stepkillers, a good number of safe moves, the best grabs in the game, and some seriously high damage output, I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Yeah he's weak to JG, doesn't have good punishers, and he's slow, but cmon you can't ask a character to be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that asta has probably close to the best range in the game, great stepkillers, a good number of safe moves, the best grabs in the game, and some seriously high damage output, I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Yeah he's weak to JG, doesn't have good punishers, and he's slow, but cmon you can't ask a character to be perfect.

Let's not forget crappy ass movement, whiffs on certain moves, cannot get out of certain Oki setups due to being the biggest size, builds meter slowly, and flawed zoning.

In all seriousness, I still think Asta is a good character, but he is FAR from being perfect, and he is NOT tournament-friendly.

Asta's just a character that relies on oki, he's either kicking your ass or getting his ass kicked with very little in-between

Let's not forget crappy ass movement, whiffs on certain moves, cannot get out of certain Oki setups due to being the biggest size, builds meter slowly, and flawed zoning.

In all seriousness, I still think Asta is a good character, but he is FAR from being perfect, and he is NOT tournament-friendly.
Yeah which is why Itazan and Lolo aren't god like and haven't won anything, also complaining about whiffs on certain moves is just pointless bitching at this time. Every character has whiffing issues, that happens, I could probably name about 20-30 really fucking annoying whiffs for my main that actually hurt their gameplay and/or are hilariously unsafe .

Last edited:
Asta's just a character that relies on oki, he's either kicking your ass or getting his ass kicked with very little in-between Yeah which is why Itazan and Lolo aren't god like and haven't won anything, also complaining about whiffs on certain moves is just pointless bitching at this time. Every character has whiffing issues, that happens, I could probably name about 20-30 really fucking annoying whiffs for my main that actually hurt their gameplay and/or are hilariously unsafe .
Don't even get me started on Xibas 6AK BE

Well no one can rely on JG alone. And being +17 is a huge frame advantage so idk what you're talking about. I'm just saying JG can help Asta dish out the massive damage he can do.

But you are only in rare cases +17 after a just gaurd. Most people at high level try to play as safe as possible so what can you do with Asta? Throws are too slow imo.

But you are only in rare cases +17 after a just gaurd. Most people at high level try to play as safe as possible so what can you do with Asta? Throws are too slow imo.
That's not true at all. People can get away with things that they wouldn't if the opponent wasn't asta, so they are going to exploit that. Things such as launchers. Lets take my main for example, Xiba. He cannot interrupt 6BK and 6AK. So that means i can pressure him and only be -6 after it. Well with the magic of JG, I am now at -20 so there's a free grab attempt there.

What i was getting at with the launcher thing was that he can JG the launchers and other unsafe things people can get away with against asta and get a free grab attempt.

But who throws after just guard... No one does! i17 is still to slow in most cases and a grab is no real free damage. Asta can also come up with bullrush BE mix ups after moves like Xibas 6BK afaik. It´s higher risk and higher reward... At least I hit something. I do not know of a single Asta who is doing jg and grab after that as a viable tactic. Strange thing is I had this converastion some time ago here... Were you involved in it?

But who throws after just guard... No one does! i17 is still to slow in most cases and a grab is no real free damage. Asta can also come up with bullrush BE mix ups after moves like Xibas 6BK afaik. It´s higher risk and higher reward... At least I hit something. I do not know of a single Asta who is doing jg and grab after that as a viable tactic. Strange thing is I had this converastion some time ago here... Were you involved in it?
Having +12 frames of advantage is enough to force grab mixups, the opponent has no other option but to block high or low. Stepping is out of the question, Asta's grabs will fuck any step attempts, and I don't think Bullrush can be stepped at +12 either. Of course the issue is having the opponent duck your grab is always a bummer, but as you said, most people don't grab after a successful JG. With that in mind, most opponents aren't conditioned to duck after a JG, allowing one to take advantage of that.

I'm not going to sit here and say JG is the be all end all of Asta tactics, because it isn't from him or any other character for that matter, but to act like he doesn't benefit much from it is really silly. Literally every character in the game benefits from frame advantage + Closed distance when said characters are pushing advantage and Asta is absolutely no different, and one can get extra advantage frames + closed distance easily through JG. I get your complaints, there have been plenty of times I'm sure you've lost solely because you were using Astaroth, but I'm also sure that there have been just as many times that you've only won because of your use of Asta.

As I said he's character that relies almost entirely on Oki/Reads, Astaroth really is a fucking beast but only as beast as the player. Jag you're a good player so I'm going to assume that Asta is at least high tier in your hands.

Edit: TL;DR JG is a good tactic to use and one should use it if they want to get the most out of Asta or any character

Having +12 frames of advantage is enough to force grab mixups, the opponent has no other option but to block high or low. Stepping is out of the question, Asta's grabs will fuck any step attempts, and I don't think Bullrush can be stepped at +12 either. Of course the issue is having the opponent duck your grab is always a bummer, but as you said, most people don't grab after a successful JG. With that in mind, most opponents aren't conditioned to duck after a JG, allowing one to take advantage of that.

I'm not going to sit here and say JG is the be all end all of Asta tactics, because it isn't from him or any other character for that matter, but to act like he doesn't benefit much from it is really silly. Literally every character in the game benefits from frame advantage + Closed distance when said characters are pushing advantage and Asta is absolutely no different, and one can get extra advantage frames + closed distance easily through JG. I get your complaints, there have been plenty of times I'm sure you've lost solely because you were using Astaroth, but I'm also sure that there have been just as many times that you've only won because of your use of Asta.

As I said he's character that relies almost entirely on Oki/Reads, Astaroth really is a fucking beast but only as beast as the player. Jag you're a good player so I'm going to assume that Asta is at least high tier in your hands.

Edit: TL;DR JG is a good tactic to use and one should use it if they want to get the most out of Asta or any character

Do not know if Astas bullrush can be stepped if he is +12, but you can try to avoid throws with a backstep with some characters like Nightmare or Cervantes if it´s not a guaranteed grab. Asta is still a character who does not benefit from it like the greeks or other chars, mainly because he is slow.
Of course every character benefits from just guard, but in Astas case it´s imo more about NOT getting "just gaurded" rather than doing a just guard.

I am still trying to find a way, that´s the main problem for me because I like Asta in generell in this game but that mechanic.. shesh...

But like Party Wolf said, GI is really important with Asta.. Have to GI more I guess.

But thanks for your oppinion and i apreciate it. And you are actually a person who did not say that I am just "spamming" the same moves over and over again. xD

Asta's 66B is i16. Shouldn't be too hard to punish things you JG with it assuming they're not just BBs and stuff, lol. Some damage is better than nothing, after all.

I don't find a whole lot to be wrong with him, tbh. Every character in the game starts at Roogi and either trades something for something else, or loses something to be special. Fatass's exposure level is sort of low with good players, especially now, because he's hard to play. He's not bad, just hard.

Sort of the same reason not everyone runs Zangief, but he's still a nasty fk.

I don't want to give out too much secret sauce, but backstep :2::A: on hit right on the tip range of your grabs puts your opponent in a seriously shitty position and :3::A+B: makes people block.

Back