Automotive Help

yeah carbon monoxide will give you headaches for sure. not to mention it will kill you. But you have to subject yourself to being in a locked room where fresh air cant get in. You just developed a exhaust leak, I dont think you were in any real danger. But it will give you a headache after a while

Was having another conversation with a fellow 8wayrun-er, whos name sounds simular to NGK.....and thought this might be a good auto shop lesson for the day.

If you have a bad alternator, the car runs off the power of the battery alone. Once the battery is completly drained, the car will stop running. You can be driving down the street and itll act like someone just took the key right out your ignition.

AUTO SHOP LESSON TIME:
The alternators job is the take ALTERNATING current from the eninge, and turn it into DIRECT current and then charges the cars battery with that DIRECT energy.

there will be a quiz at the end of the week

HRD

Was having another conversation with a fellow 8wayrun-er, whos name sounds simular to NGK.....and thought this might be a good auto shop lesson for the day.

If you have a bad alternator, the car runs off the power of the battery alone. Once the battery is completly drained, the car will stop running. You can be driving down the street and itll act like someone just took the key right out your ignition.

AUTO SHOP LESSON TIME:
The alternators job is the take ALTERNATING current from the eninge, and turn it into DIRECT current and then charges the cars battery with that DIRECT energy.

there will be a quiz at the end of the week

HRD
I always have to give people the advice to not rely on their alternator to charge their battery. You'll end up having to replace it.

You were right Dave. It jumped ok hooked to a Ford Explorer and I could see the alternator shaking awkwardly. Got it replaced, thankfully the battery is still good.

You were right Dave. It jumped ok hooked to a Ford Explorer and I could see the alternator shaking awkwardly. Got it replaced, thankfully the battery is still good.

I wouldnt cout on that. I will predict within a week youre battery will be dead. Once you drain a battery far enough to shut your car completly off while driving.....I dont know of a battery that can handle that. WHEN it happens you WILL send me a nor-cal shirt so I can wipe my sweaty balls with it!! LOL

HRD

Well, if you're going to destroy some Italian supercars, its best to do it spectacularly. =/
Better being wrecked on a track than being left in a garage and never driven like so many supercars sadly are... I'm sure they'll just re-buy their cars anyway, lol.

Just the pics of all the wrecked ferrari's is just....well......makes me poop a little.

Someones body shop is gonna be busy as hell next week!! They estimated the damage at only $1 million....I say....yeah fuckin right. Some of those cars cost over a mill.

HRD

Assuming I've estimated the exchange rate correcty - I can't think of a road legal Ferrari worth over £600, 000 save the Enzo (Even a mint Daytona wouldn't run you as much). I'd guess the Mercs were Mclaren SLRs and throwing in a Lambo, as an estimate (seeing as these are completely written off) I would say the bill would total at around $6 500 000 realistically. Bad day for insurance XD.

Says they were goin at 140-150 kph or more when they crashed.

One crashed into the center divider and it set off a chain reaction or something like that.

Test drove a '90 Lexus Ls400. I started it up and the exhaust was smoking pretty bad. The gas pedal was rock hard, I had to put a lot of force to push it. It barely had gas and when I mashed the pedal it barely accelerated. I got to 30mph in about 10 sec. My first thought was transmission, but I'm thinking it was because of the gas.

Any thoughts on this anybody?

Test drove a '90 Lexus Ls400. I started it up and the exhaust was smoking pretty bad. The gas pedal was rock hard, I had to put a lot of force to push it. It barely had gas and when I mashed the pedal it barely accelerated. I got to 30mph in about 10 sec. My first thought was transmission, but I'm thinking it was because of the gas.

engine compression. at best the timing is shot, at worst the block is trash. either way, the dealer should have fixed it as best they could. there is a (very very slight) chance that it was like 2 year old gas and that the lines and shit had water condensation, but that is pretty much like 1000 to 1 and it wouldn't cause the lack of "oomph" when you gunned it. one way or another, the compression isn't there. if it was just a timing issue, the dealer would have fixed it and doubled the value of the car. most likely, the block is cracked or the head gasket is in pieces or the cylinders are warped away from circular. any one of these things is probably a terminal (ie: totaled by insurance standards) problem w/ the engine, and you will never see over 60-80 horsepower from it.

as someone who buys and resells cars from auctions at least 4-5 times a year, and has done so for a few years, i'd avoid purchasing that car like woah.

I want this

what...
the...
fuck...
that ish would break so fast and cost you $1000 to have the dealer hit a reset button for you. oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell naw. get that digital riff raff away from me. my dashboard needs to look like this; simple and sexy.
380076_2720982913768_1532918851_2801610_2092672705_n.jpg

also balancing that disk there was a bitch, lol.

engine compression. at best the timing is shot, at worst the block is trash. either way, the dealer should have fixed it as best they could. there is a (very very slight) chance that it was like 2 year old gas and that the lines and shit had water condensation, but that is pretty much like 1000 to 1 and it wouldn't cause the lack of "oomph" when you gunned it. one way or another, the compression isn't there. if it was just a timing issue, the dealer would have fixed it and doubled the value of the car. most likely, the block is cracked or the head gasket is in pieces or the cylinders are warped away from circular. any one of these things is probably a terminal (ie: totaled by insurance standards) problem w/ the engine, and you will never see over 60-80 horsepower from it.

as someone who buys and resells cars from auctions at least 4-5 times a year, and has done so for a few years, i'd avoid purchasing that car like woah.

what...
the...
fuck...
that ish would break so fast and cost you $1000 to have the dealer hit a reset button for you. oh heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell naw. get that digital riff raff away from me. my dashboard needs to look like this; simple and sexy.
380076_2720982913768_1532918851_2801610_2092672705_n.jpg

also balancing that disk there was a bitch, lol.

Thanks for the advice, my dad was explaining something similar to what you said. I'm not buying that car, the dealer wants $2900 and it looks like crap!!!

I personally used to own a 92 ls400 that had the same problem. However there are several things that can cause this problem. Lobo mentioned a few.

First off...the gas pedal. That Lexus has a electronic throttle. Its controlled by solenoids and servos that actually make the gas pedal work. Or it was just plain ol bound up.

As far as the idle goes.....The 4.0 v8 lexus is controlled buy TWO different coils. On mine, I had one of my 2 coils that was bad. I could mash the pedal to the floor and I would do 0-60 in like 5 minutes and then my catalitic converters would glow red. Replaced the coils and all was good.

However a car that old with all those issues is for sure not worth $2900. I would RUN away from that car as fast as I could.

Lobo gets the win for best dashboard EVER!! Even tho Im not a corvette fan!! Sorry lobo

HRD

I personally used to own a 92 ls400 that had the same problem. However there are several things that can cause this problem. Lobo mentioned a few.

First off...the gas pedal. That Lexus has a electronic throttle. Its controlled by solenoids and servos that actually make the gas pedal work. Or it was just plain ol bound up.

As far as the idle goes.....The 4.0 v8 lexus is controlled buy TWO different coils. On mine, I had one of my 2 coils that was bad. I could mash the pedal to the floor and I would do 0-60 in like 5 minutes and then my catalitic converters would glow red. Replaced the coils and all was good.

However a car that old with all those issues is for sure not worth $2900. I would RUN away from that car as fast as I could.

Lobo gets the win for best dashboard EVER!! Even tho Im not a corvette fan!! Sorry lobo

HRD
Thanks for the info. I'm not even going back to that guy. I'm looking at an SC400, preferably 98 or 99 for the VVT-I. I've heard the SC300 can be heavily modded, but the 400 is limited for mods.

Thanks for the info. I'm not even going back to that guy. I'm looking at an SC400, preferably 98 or 99 for the VVT-I. I've heard the SC300 can be heavily modded, but the 400 is limited for mods.

Yeah Ive heard the same thing. Variable Valve Timing. Those things were made to retard the timing down when your cruising at certain speeds. Then you crazy kids go a mess everything up. LOL...

I myself am an old school car guy. 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's american cars are my specialty. Thats right, in the 70's cars went to shit, at least mucsle cars did.

But if aisan cars are your thing. To each his own.

HRD

Yeah Ive heard the same thing. Variable Valve Timing. Those things were made to retard the timing down when your cruising at certain speeds. Then you crazy kids go a mess everything up. LOL...

I myself am an old school car guy. 30's, 40's, 50's & 60's american cars are my specialty. Thats right, in the 70's cars went to shit, at least mucsle cars did.

But if aisan cars are your thing. To each his own.

HRD

Lol, I love all cars, especially American. I hate BMW 335i owners/fanboys. My all time favorite car is the Mclaren F1. I'd love to learn about old schools/hot rods, but I don't know where to go or what to do to learn more about cars. Should I start out on the net?

Back