Bereavement Symphony (soundtrack included with story)

CHAPTER 12​

Madeline poked her head out of the door and checked down both hallways. It was useless to try and listen for anything due to the alarm. Madeline turned to the woman.
“Why is it that no one is around even though an alarm is going off? I thought I’d see people trying to scramble for an exit.”
“They most likely are. We’re at the back end of the facility. Most of everyone are not on this floor.” Madeline and the woman exited the room that they were in and quickly traveled down one of the halls.
“Which way do we go to get out of here?” Madeline quickly asked.
“It’s a straight shot down this hall until we reach the elevators.” At the mention of elevators Madeline turned to the woman again.
“Exactly how many floors down are we?”
“Ten.” Madeline couldn’t hide the shock from her face.
“Basement ten?” The woman nodded her head.
“Then how many floors are below and above us now?”
“There are three floors above ground level and fifteen below. So that means there are only five more floors below us but they only hold our test subjects.” The scientist dropped her voice at the end of the sentence, realizing that she was talking with an outsider and not a fellow coworker.
“What’s your name?” The woman seemed reluctant to answer. “It’s okay. I’m Madeline.”
“I-I’m Blair.” Madeline tried to force a smile despite the situation.
“See, that wasn’t too hard. Now about those test subjects.” Blair quickly shook her head.
“I can’t. It’s against regulations for me—” Madeline seized Blair by her shoulders.
“I don’t think you understand the weight of the situation. You ‘freak’ accident that you guys helped create is going around killing innocent people. Just recently the victim was a young girl. And I’m damn sure Kayla has no intention of stopping anytime soon. I need to find out how to stop her. NOW!”
“B-but you can’t. She’s designed to take just about anything anyone can throw at her. Besides, there’s nothing in the labs that could help you anyway. Trust me, unless you want to be psychologically scarred for life, there is nothing there to see.” Madeline let go of Blair’s shoulders.
“So you’re saying that this girl can take even bullets?”
“More or less, yes.” Madeline eyed Blair. “She’s a bio-organic weapon. What kind of wepon would she be if she could be stopped by a single bullet?”
“There’s got to be someone besides the police that are trying to stop her. The government said they wanted her for weapon purposes, right? Why haven’t they stepped in yet?” Blair scoffed.
“The government was that man that had you handcuffed to a chair. Yes, this is an accident but it’s also a convenient chance to see their weapon in action and collect combat data.”
“Even at the cost of other people’s lives?” Madeline asked, outraged and the Blair shrugged.
“How can you progress without some sacrifice?”

CHAPTER 13​
Luke woke up lying face down on the floor. There were people talking. He recognized one of the voices as Brad. The other voice belonged to a female.
“We don’t know if he’s connected.” Brad argued. “He’s probably just another detective on this case. You know that there are several.”
“Or he could be directly linked to Kayla or the organization that made her.”
“Either way we won’t know with him being knocked unconscious, will we?”
“That was a precaution.” The woman defended her self.
“Precaution? You stomp in here with your SWAT team and the first thing you do is knock a man out. It was lucky for us that no one else was here.”
“That’s a curious observation. Why is this place empty? I thought this place worked around the clock.”
“Everyone was called out.” The woman eyed Brad.
“And you really believe that’s all there is to this?”
“I’m former military. I’m used to not questioning orders no matter how unusual the circumstance might be. It’s not my call or job to either.”
“I just hope your loyalty doesn’t get anyone killed.” Luke let out an involuntary groan as he tried standing. The two looked at him then at each other. “He’s yours. I’ve got enough men under my belt to keep track of. I’m gonna keep an eye on this place though.” The captain looked around. “Something doesn’t sit well with me about everyone being gone at once.” She radioed to her other squad members. “Alright we can move out. Our call was just a false alarm.” Luke rubbed the back of his head to feel the lump that existed where he was hit.
“You couldn’t figure out it was a false alarm before you hit me in the back of my head?”
“I’m terribly sorry about that.”
“I don’t entirely believe that statement.” Luke pointed his thumb towards Brad. “Why didn’t you knock him out?”
“I know him. Anyway I was called here on an emergency. The caller was unknown and I was the closest in the area. It seems like this might have just been a prank.” Several other SWAT members gathered. The woman impatiently looked around. “Where the hell is a quarter of our team?”
“They’re all gone now.” Everyone spun around at the sound of a young girl’s voice. A couple of men shone their flashlights on the girl.
“What do you mean?” The woman asked. “Are you the one that made that call?” The girl merely nodded her head.
“I have gotten what I needed. So you can all leave with your lives.” Kayla smiled and the captain pulled out her pistol and aimed it at the girl.
“What happened to my team?” Brad quickly lowered the woman’s arm.
“Calm down.” He said. “This is probably the suspect of the bizarre murders that have been going on.”
“That’s all the more reason to put her down.” The captain raised her handgun at Kayla again, this time followed by the remainder of her team.
“You should listen to Brad, Crystal.” Kayla said with the grin still on her face that grew wider at the captain’s shocked reaction of her name being known. “I’m giving you a chance to live since I’m in a good mood.” Kayla’s smile quickly faded. “Don’t ruin it.”
“What happened to the others?”
“They’re dead. I told you. They were next. Unless you want to join them I’d suggest you take those guns from my face!” Kayla’s eyes turned cold and her cheerful tone disappeared.
“You’re a demon. The real thing.” Crystal whispered and Kayla smiled again but there was nothing playful about it. Her expression softened but her eyes still held their piercing glare.
“Funny, that’s the same thing your people said right before I killed them too.” The captain pulled the trigger and Kayla’s head snapped back as she fell to the floor. Kayla lay on the floor, silent. The only movement coming from the pool of blood seeping from her head.

Dramatic cliffhanger.... XD
Well, so there's more test subjects if you go lower? I really want to see if Madeline will go down there vincent (pretty plz?) and since we know that Kayla can't be killed with a single bullet... (*_______*<) she's going to slaughter those guys....Great chapters! Update soon plz. ^-^

Dramatic cliffhanger.... XD
Well, so there's more test subjects if you go lower? I really want to see if Madeline will go down there vincent (pretty plz?) and since we know that Kayla can't be killed with a single bullet... (*_______*<) she's going to slaughter those guys....Great chapters! Update soon plz. ^-^
oh, yeah. already got the next chapter on my iPhone. just need to transfer it. but yeah i wanted to hint at the test subjects to reveal them later. but how soon? O_o (ooooooh...) thanks for the comment. i was surprised that i actually updated last night. it was around 3:00a.m. but i did it. i need to start writing again though. haven't written anything in a couple of days so i'll get started today. the update will either be today or tomorrow.

CHAPTER 14​
“Y-you did it.” Luke whispered. Crystal swallowed the lump in her through and slowly lowered her gun.
“She won’t get back up will she?”
“After a bullet to the head no one gets up.” Brad answered. “At least not right away.” Then Kayla gasped as if she had been holding her breath. When she sat up there were no signs of being shot except for the blood on the floor. Even the bullet wound on her head was gone.
“Did you really think a bullet would kill me?” Kayla then let out a childish giggle. “I’m a demon! You even said it yourself. Since when are demons killed so easily?” Kayla’s eyes turned murderous. “You have tested my patience and you irritate me.” Suddenly Kayla winced and immediately a hand went to her head. “All of you just turn your guns on each other and blow your fucking brains out.” On command all of the SWAT members aimed their weapons at each other and fired. The only people left standing were Crystal, Luke, and Brad. Kayla slowly removed her hand from her head as she turned to them. “Brad, this is your final chance to leave.” And with that Brad was quickly out the door. “Luke, you’re the promising one.” Kayla eyed Crystal. The Captain suddenly grunted in an effort to resist but handed her weapon to Luke. “Okay, Luke. Kill her.” Luke looked at Kayla in disbelief. “It’s okay. No one will know. It’s just us.”
“I can’t. You just expect me to shoot someone on command?” Luke then thought about the SWAT member killing each other right after she told them to and a shiver went down his spine.
“Why not? You’ve done it before many times.”
“What are you talking abo—.”
“I’m not stupid!” Kayla’s outburst seemed to shake the building but Luke wasn’t sure if that was it or if it was him shivering in fear. “I’ll make this more interesting then.” Kayla walked over to one of the dead assault members and took his side arm. She ejected the magazine to check if there were rounds in it. Kayla then slapped the clip back into the gun, quickly chambered a round, and pointed the gun at Luke. “She dies, or both of you die.” Luke scoffed.
“That hardly seems fair.”
“That’s one of the advantages to having the upper hand. You get to make up the rules.” Crystal turned to Luke.
“It’s alright. It’s better for one of us to die. She won’t get away with this. Someone will find a way to kill her and then the bitch can burn in hell.” A gunshot went off and Crystal dropped to the floor. Kayla lowered her smoking weapon with her hand back to her head, this time having harder hiding whatever pain she was in.
“Her voice was getting on my nerves.” Kayla tossed the gun to the floor.
“What are you doing?” Luke asked.
“Can’t you see?”
“No, I’m talking about what are you planning? I know there’s a reason for your actions. What are you trying to achieve?” Kayla started for the door that exited the building.
“It’s simple. To exterminate the infestation. To purge the virus.” Kayla turned to Luke and stared him in the eye. “All I merely want is satisfaction.” And with that Kayla walked outside and disappeared.

This is basically who i picture when i picture Kayla.
jodelle.jpg
case39_lilly2.jpg

The chapter was short but good since it demonstrated kayla's power and now what she desires just add more mystery around her. For me, I picture something similar but I see bangs and a slightly paler kind of girl. ^^

The chapter was short but good since it demonstrated kayla's power and now what she desires just add more mystery around her. For me, I picture something similar but I see bangs and a slightly paler kind of girl. ^^
it's funny because when i wrote the chapter it seemed much longer but oh well. I tried adding in a lot of foreshadowing in the last particular chapter. more to come. also what kind of bangs do you picture. In the first picture the girl was pretty pale.

Maybe only right or only left side bangs. It's kinda of messy/casual not straight. Oooh, I forgot to mention that I picture really big eyes on Kayla also! I'm strange lol

Maybe only right or only left side bangs. It's kinda of messy/casual not straight. Oooh, I forgot to mention that I picture really big eyes on Kayla also! I'm strange lol

If you can find a pic and post it then i could try and draw a rough sketch of Kayla and see how it turns out. and i understand thinking Kayla has big eyes. she's a young girl after all and a young evil girl with big peircing eyes could always make someone uncomfortable.

I'll be off this whole weekend, printed them off, will be reading them on my trip to Wisconsin. Skimmed through the comments, very much much to be excited about!

Oh, and here's my own mental image of Kayla.

ltroi.jpg

Good God people! This is not the kinda stuff I wanna be looking at in the middle of the night! (But I guess that's my fault) Awesome stuff, as usual, Vincent.

Been out of the Internet for a while. At my grandparents house using my iPhone. Hopefully I get the Internet at my house back up soon so I can add more. Thanks for the Kayla references. It's interesting to see how you all picture her in your mind.

CHAPTER 15​
Madeline searched through what papers she could find in a multi-desk office after they got off the elevator on the first floor. The drawer from where she got the papers were locked but it was nothing a bullet couldn’t handle. The alarm had stopped and now it was deathly quiet. Most of the files Madeline came across were of nothing important. They had cleaned out the whole office area and finally stumbled across a locked drawer. The papers were about the labs and the experiments but all of them were smaller animals. There was nothing on humans much less Kayla. Madeline was about to give up when a picture on one of the last papers caught her attention. It was a picture of a man and a woman. Both seemed to be young and around Madeline’s age.
“Who’s this?” Blair walked over and looked at the picture.
“I don’t know but it looks fairly familiar.” Blair thought for a moment and then suddenly rushed to another desk on the opposite side of the room. “Look. This framed photograph on the desk is the same as the one you have.”
“Weird. Whose desk is this?”
“It was Jonathan’s but it was completely cleaned out after he was fired. No one has replaced his desk.”
“But why did they leave his photos?” Blair shrugged.
“A lot of people respected him. He was a good man and a hard worker. Maybe they left it here as a memorial. But I’m not sure. He was gone before I arrived to work here. I only know what the files and the seniors tell me.” Madeline dropped to her knees and started searching the underside of the desk. It wasn’t long before she saw a secret compartment that was locked by a key. Madeline grabbed the framed photo that was sitting on the desk and opened the back. Sure enough there was a key along with a note hidden inside. Madeline opened the note and scanned over it.
“Jackpot!”
“What? What did you find?” Madeline gave the note to Blair and went back underneath the desk with the key.
“Read it out loud.” Madeline called.
“It has been my dream to take up this research and break the barrier that mankind has been trying to get through for so very long. The problem is with mankind is that they are curious as well as afraid of what is on the other side of the tall fence which is why my research has to be upheld in secrecy. I have come up with the tools to spark the dormant areas of the brain. Mainly the areas that house the things people have only dreamed of but knew it was somehow possible. Psycho-kinesis is a ability that is controlled grants the user great power above other humans with our restricted brain usage potential. But what’s holding me back from the ingenious discovery is the people here are only using animals as test subjects. This is not something that can be tested on an inferior animal! I need a human test subject. A person willing to lead the next step in human evolution! I need a volunteer to help me with my work.” Just as Blaire stopped reading, Madeline came up with a box.
“It’s a music box.” Madeline explained. “I can hear something inside but it’s locked and I couldn’t find the key. Anyway, I think we’re done here. Let’s get out of here.” As the ladies walked towards the doors that let out of the office it burst open and two soldiers stormed in. Upon seeing the girls they immediately trained their rifles on them.
“Why haven’t you evacuated?” One of them asked. “Everyone is supposed to be outside.” Blair pulled out her ID and showed it to the men.
“I’m Blair Semer. We were working on the lower floors. We came here to quickly gather some files and our personal belongings. What’s the emergency?”
“We have no time to explain. Please come with us.” Madeline and Blair followed the two men outside and saw that the parking lot was full of angry and confused employees of the facility. The two soldiers then joined many others at the front. There were several agents like the ones that kidnapped Madeline at the front as well. There was a military man with a megaphone shouting at both his men to restore order and then at the facility workers to keep it. Madeline turned to one of Blair’s coworkers.
“What’s going on here?” She had to shout in order to be heard above the crowd.
I’m not sure. They’re not really giving us any answers but they are it’s too dangerous for us to work inside at the moment. I’m guessing something must have happened on the lower floors. Madeline turned towards Blair.
“This must have something to do with what happened to that guy.” Blair nodded her head and looked back towards the front. Soldiers were going into the building with a gurney which only confirmed Madeline’s suspicions. The man with the megaphone turned to the crowd.
“We are here because of a possible murder that happened inside of your building.” There were mixed reactions from the crowd. “We don’t have the identity of any suspects yet but everyone that works in the lower labs are immediately considered suspects.” Most of the crowd erupted into an uproar and rifles from the soldiers were shot skyward and everyone fell silent. “It is in your best interest to follow all instructions you are given. Every road is locked off and the surrounding area is under twenty-four hour surveillance.” The man waited for the crowd’s murmurs to die down before starting again. “This is about more than a fallen agent. This is also about a certain experiment that couldn’t be contained and is now on the loose. This might be the only place where we can find information on her for this is where the first stages of the experimentation took place.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally! sorry it took a while. i was busy with the holidays. so i basically had to type and transfer all of this from the notepad app on my iphone. this took me about thirty minutes of straight typing and now my fingers feel buffed up from the exercise. I shouldn't have to worry about this anymore cause I just found out I can email my works from my iPhone to my computer.
*facepalm*
but i also have a writing app i paid for on my phone too since that's where I'm doing all of my typing and story writing. plan on having another chapter up tomorrow. it's mostly done. just a few more paragraphs. thanks for being patient and hope you all had a happy new year!

More please...after your fingers have healed :3
Anyway, it's interesting to note that all the employees are now considered suspect. This point intrigues me...But anyway, thanks for alittle more info on the experiment with telekinesis.

More please...after your fingers have healed :3
Anyway, it's interesting to note that all the employees are now considered suspect. This point intrigues me...But anyway, thanks for alittle more info on the experiment with telekinesis.
it's no problem. I knew it had to be cleared up eventually. there's more but that will come later. I plan on really blowing the roof off soon. as well as Kayla's first chapter that is from her point of view. so i have a lot to write. shaking my fingers right now! XD

This is Chapter 16. After this i will have a completely clean slate so that means i don't have the next chapter written at ALL! so it might be a little while until the next one is posted. I have the idea in my head so hopefully my schedule doesn't keep me busy so I can go on ahead and type it.

Chapter 16

"We have to go back." Madeline said to Blaire.
"Back for what? The place is under close surveillance. Even if we wanted to go back we wouldn't be able to. What's so important back there anyway?"
"I have to see those other experiments. Kayla has some weird ways of killing people that I've seen so far. If I have any leads I want to take them all." Blair could tell by the look in Madeline's eyes that she was very keen on finding out what had gone on in the labs.
"I don't know what you expect me to do. This is a little out of my control."
"You work in the lower labs right? Surely that comes with some sort of authority."
"With how these guys are dragging people out of the facility that work there in the first place I doubt I will make any sort of impression." The man with the megaphone finished his speech and joined a group of men to discuss something with them.
"I got a idea. Follow me." Madeline started making her way towards the men dragging Blair along with her.
"What the hell are you doing, Madeline?"
"We just need to get inside. After the elevator we can make it from there. Just follow my lead." Madeline said without looking away from the commander. When the two women approached them all of the men looked up from their conversation and tensed. Madeline pulled out her badge quickly and flashed it. "My name is Lorries. I'm with section thirteen and was investigating this area when this incident occurred. I would like to finish up and be on my way if you please." The commander looked at his comrades and then back at Madeline.
"How do I know you’re not a part of this. The reason I pulled everyone out was because they are all suspects."
"I was given an escort. I'm told she is a seasoned and well trusted employee at this location."
"I.D.?" Blair grabbed her badge from her skirt pocket and handed it to the commander. He took it and looked it over. "I hope you don't mind me asking you some questions Miss Blair?"
"Questions?" Blair asked.
"It's standard protocol. What section in the building are you assigned to?"
"Pretty much the whole thing but my expertise lies in the chemicals and genetics department." The commander nodded his head and handed Blair's badge back to her.
"Alright, you may go but I would like one of my men to escort you as well. It would make me feel better." Madeline smiled.
"That's quite alright. After all, we are probably looking for the same suspect."
"And I'm sure we can trust you?" Madeline shrugged.
"It's not a question of whether you trust me or not. If we do not cooperate with each other then our authorities will be at each other’s throats. Remember that section thirteen is also the watchful eye of the government too. It would be best if we got along." The commander nodded. He then shook Madeline's hand.
"It's good to have an ally in these rough times."
"Indeed it is. Now we must hurry. Time is of the essence." Madeline walked towards the building with Blair and the other escort in tow. Just as they entered the building the men with the gurney exited with a body bag. Madeline still wondered if whatever did this to the man was inside waiting or not.

"Madeline, are you sure you want to do this?" Blair asked and Madeline nodded. Blair then turned to the soldier. "When we get to the bottom floors I'm going to have to ask you to remain at the elevator. You don't have the authorization to be in the labs. Besides, I rather you not have to see them for you own sake anyway." Blair pressed the elevator calling button. The doors opened up right away since the men carried out the dead agent. "I'll start with the first floor of the labs." Blair pressed the numbered button and the B11 illuminated. "With each floor down from this point the experiments are more developed. I guess you could look at it with the idea of newborns to mature specimens." They reached the eleventh underground floor and the elevator doors opened. The three stepped out and Blair and Madeline walked on while the soldier stayed stationed at the elevator doors. Blair used her key card to unlock the single door at the end of the darkly lit hallway. When they walked in the room was completely covered in darkness. Blair stepped to the side and flipped a switch. The room immediately was illuminated in a light blue light. Madeline saw rows of tiny cages. Most of them were empty and the others held small animals like hamsters and lab rats. Most of them were still alive.
"This is our first stage to the development of our weapons. How it goes is if it works on these guys then we're making headway."
"So you inject a virus to see how these animals react?"
"Not quite. We are following in John's footsteps. We specialize in genetic makeup and DNA experimentation. We aim to develop new life not destroy it."
"Well it seems like your new life form is destroying lives now, doesn't it?"
"That wasn't supposed to happen!" Madeline and Blair jumped at the sudden outburst. Then the commander stepped into the room. "Everything was going according to plan. The girl was born and we immediately went to work. At first nothing was wrong. She then became eleven years old and that's when everything went wrong. John had something to do with it. I'm willing to bet my life on that. He didn't like the fact that his life's work was going to be stripped away from him. He did something to Kayla that made her the murderer she is now. He broke down her mind and rebuilt it into the mind of a killer. She wasn't supposed to have that mind frame. We can't research on someone that could kill our researchers at any moment. By the way miss. What's that you got in you hands there?" The commander pointed at the music box Madeline was holding. "Did you find that here?" Madeline stepped back.
"It's Blair's."
"Do you expect me to believe that? Either way hand it over." Commander reached out to grab it and Blair snatched it away first. "Are you mad? Hand it over before I suspend you." Blair pulled out her gun that she had earlier and aimed it the commander then at Madeline. After the two of them backed away Blair turned her gun back to the commander.
"I didn't want to do this. She didn't give me any other choice!" Blair was obviously scared but her hand was also shaking which meant any wrong move could make her pull the trigger.
"Who's 'she'?" Madeline asked.
"Kayla. She gave me a picture of people she wanted me to keep an eye out for. I have to kill them."
"Why?"
"I don't know. She didn't tell me and I didn't dare ask. She offered my life and safety if I killed a couple of people. When I asked her why she only said that I have potential."

Back