Best Fighting Game Except Soul Calibur

Which is the Best Fighting Game Except Soul Calibur?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sheppard

[12] Conqueror
Which fighting game is the best of all except Soul Calibur series? And why? I will put games from ps3 and xbox360 to choose.

My best is Dead or Alive 4. Characters are balanced, fighting system is nice, animations are great and japanese voice is funny.

I'm waiting for Dead or Alive 5.

Seriously though, probably SSF4 and MvC3. Don't play them (planning on getting MvC though) but they're fun to watch.

only doing newer fighting games huh? voting for MvC3 then

I thought about it but there are lots of great fighting games in past. There are just too many so I decided to put new ones. But I wonder, what is your real favorite fighting game?

It's hard for me to tell since I hardly play any other fighting game, but I eagerly await VF5 FS.

I failed hard! I forgot to put Street Fighter on list!

If any of you guys fan of street fighter, please no offense. I'm very forgetful. If you guys wish to vote it, just post me and i'll delete this thread and open new survey with SF included.

MKDC would have been a lot better had it just been 2D. The addition of a "3D" button adds nothing to the game, and make fireballs at a distance useless.

That goes to all the non-2D MKs too.

Tekken and Blazblue are the only other fighting games I try to play competitively (and hopefully MK9 when it comes out). I just said BB to give it some rep. Honestly it's not the best game you'll find (balance problems and Guilty Gear being more refined), but it's just fun as hell and much more accessable than other 2D games.

If we're talking about the best fighting game, and not our favorites like some have posted. Then it's most likely Tekken 6.
The barrier of entry isn't stupid like SF4.
The combos range from easy to difficult, to really difficult.
Spacing, Throw breaking, mix ups, counters....anyway Tekken has a lot of variables it offers to learn and master, and they're all important to touch the top.

Balance wise it's pretty balanced, since it runs on 50/50 chances for every character.

Can anyone explain how these other games on the list work I mean mechanic wise. Because I get that SF4 has combos, but once you learn them what else does it bring to the table.
MvC3 is very chaotic, and probably has some strategy to it, but still it has infinites and such.

I have never played VF5 but people say it's very technical. I can't stand it personally something about the animations lack of fluidity annoys me.
You gotta give it up to Namco both Tekken and Soul Calibur have the most fluid animations compared to all other 3d fighters.

And you guys have done a poor job explaining why you think those games are good, cause I actually want to know why.

@kingace: both SSF4 and MvC3 focus primarily on zoning your opponent. my experience is that they are games about controlling space more than anything else. it isn't just about combos, either. both games are about forcing mixups up close as well with lows/throws/overheads and crossups. i also find both games to be retarded. lol. to put it in SC terms...imagine if calibur were 2d and there were no such things as mids. G2 would block every single move in the game except for 9b, 9k, throw, and cervy/algol teleport BT tricks. oh and 9k often lead to 100 DMG combos, as would 2k, which would be your "mixup". not my thing.

as far as VF, well i would say that it has consistently been far and away the best fighter in every aspect except for one. VF mixups, balance, high level yomi and such are unparalleled by other fighters. the only complaint i have with it is that it is just too damn hard. i tried playing it seriously for a few months, quit for like a year, and had to start at square one. i couldn't do ANYTHING anymore. in the other franchises at least i can come back after a long hiatus and pick up close to where i left off.

as for tekken 6...well it is straight garbage imo. i'm a long time huge tekken fan, and i think T6 is the worst game in the whole series. (yes, even worse than T4) in tekken 6, not only is the damage stupid, but the story is washed out, the benefits of playing trashy and throwing out random launchers are WAY too big, and the rage meter rewards you for playing shitty and leaves huge balance issues. the worst thing, though, is that variation is gone completely. in calibur games, other tekken games, street fighter games, VF games...there is variation. some characters are turtles. some characters milk and work meters. some characters are punishers and some are rushdown pitbulls. some characters rely on gimmicks and some are just throw powerhouses. these things cater to players entering the game with different mindsets and add excitement and variety to the games as people try to counter other styles with their own.

this is gone in tekken 6. every single character plays exactly the same. the goal is always get launch > carry to wall > bind > trap. there is no reward for different styles. it is because of this that i see T6 as the most boring mainstream fighter of the past few years. of course it is well balanced. how hard can it be to balance the same character 36 times? ask me sometime on PSN and we can play some tekken 5:DRO and i'll show you what a good tekken game plays like.

as for the best non-calibur fighter...my vote would be split between KoF 2002, tekken 5:DR, and Mark of The Wolves. i also get an unnatural amount of pleasure out of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but i only play it at an uberscrub level so i can't really say how good it is.

SC on Top

SSF4/T6/MVC3 because they all depend on Spacing and Landing Combos...

The best fighter would be POWER STONE 2. If you've never played it, GO NOW!! I believe there is a Power Stone Collection on PSN for PSP.

Great post there lobo. Oh I am sure T6 on the lower levels plays exactly like you say. But the games I watch from green arcade and TekkenCrash tell me a different story. Yes every character is equally a threat with the retarded damage, but there's still a significant difference in each characters core gameplay. So I can't agree with a lack of variety or uniqueness. For a game with that kind of roster where every character is limited to their limbs as weapons I think Namco did a pretty good job making the characters standout from each other.

But T6 is my first serious tekken game so I can't say too much.

How about how bad SSF4AE is, and how SF4 vanilla is actually better, and how capcom has released three versions of that game just screw up the balance even worse than the original? Had to mention that.

Honorable mention to HnK for just being too fucking manly.

I don't have a particular favorite in second place, but I casually play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Tekken 6. I want to get a little hardcore into Super Street Fighter IV and Tekken 6 though. As for Marvel vs. Capcom 3? I'll be a casual gamer =p.

Back