Bubbles

Suirad

[10] Knight
So I've noticed a lot of good use being made of Algol's bubbles outside of combos, but how does one use them properly? What strategies do people use with bubbles that are effective? What are good times to throw the slow ones and the fast?

Just use them to confuse people. When you are far away just use as many bubbles as posible. Also one of the best tricks to use a bubble with is to charge a bubble going straight, press A+K, and continue to attack. The bubble will come from behind and hit them interrupting their combo/ guard.

O= algol X= enemy -= bubble

Scene:
1. O - X
2. - X O
3. X O

Piss them off with BB, AA, and tech traps. The bubbles are also good at eating rushdowns with many characters to.

So when they run straight at you 2A+B for the distance? then what? Also I've seen some people hide in their own bubbles, what is the best way to do/start this?

11A and 2A+K aren't that great imo.

11A suffers from the fact it's still like Algol's slowest move.
2A+K is incredibily linear, and if they don't tech, or get up in the right direction then it;s just a slow weak slow attack. .

2A+K confuses the crap out of people and can rarely be seen coming.

2A+K is as slow as hell. You can literally see it coming from a mile away. its not linear though because u can followup with A+B or [A+B] to keep them on the ground.

anyways 2A+B is a quick move to gain space. 2A+B, backdash, 4[A+B], and spam BB, backdash till they're done.

mmm, I'm not one for bubble spam - but 4[A+B], 2[A+B], 4A+B is good or 2[A+B], 4[A+B] his 2[A+B] can be used at closer ranges too...

Bubbles work pretty much how projectiles work in SF, they eat up a portion of the screen. Algol can have 4 bubbles at once on the screen at a time, and can change patterns with them, etc. When he shoots a fifth bubble, the oldest bubble disappears.

Each bubble has a different use but until Algol gets at least two or more bubbles on screen it's REALLY risky for him to shoot bubbles (charged bubbles carry greater risk in this instance) versus several characters. It's low reward/high risk to shoot any charged bubble versus, say Nightmare, who can trade 33B with the bubble from just about anywhere, launch you, and then continue on to get a very large combo + tech trap that ends up taking about half life.

On the flip side, bubbles almost completely nullify a few characters, like Taki/Talim/Yoda, who have almost nothing they can do about bubble shields. (All are short range characters that, Talim moreso then Taki, require using Jumping-based moves to get in, which means they are very easy to start bubble combos on from random bubbles) In this case spamming bubbles becomes low risk/high reward.

Bubbles allow Algol to use his otherwise fairly terrible long range pokes safely.

You probably already have a feel for what to do with what bubbles, it's pretty obvious with a little practice-

6A+B_[A+B] - Zoneing, covers the whole stage, loses to GI/certain tech crouching moves/any step
2A+B_[A+B] - Zoneing, covers only a small portion in front of Algol, loses to GI/any step, but depending upon when it's GI'd it may or may not hit Algol
4A+B - mid_long range step shield.
4[A+B]- Full body shield, little range/movement but protects front and then eventually Algol's sides.
FC A+B- Crouching bubble, works like 6A+B but kills TC moves.
22_88A+B- Retreating bubbles, weird/terribile hitboxes but pretty much safe v. GI. Last resort escape, poor recovery.

Probably the most common pattern is:

4[A+B], 2A+B- shields immediate stepping around and in front of him, then the 2A+B intercepts low pokes that go under bubbles. 4A+B in itself is pretty risky if the enemy can see it on reaction- the bubbles itself come out fast but add the time it takes for the 4A+B to come out PLUS the recovery Algol goes through if bubbles aren't blocked at point blank range, A simple GI means you can end up eating your own bubbles for free regardless of where you are. I have to be very careful with when and where I use 4[A+B] here (and will sometimes go for 4A+B instead, which is better for hitting steppers/8WRs at mid/long range) because we do have local players that look for the white flash then run up and GI me.

Interesting. Whats your take on hiding inside the bubbles or doing bubble + guard break "unblockables"?

Algol only has one "unblockable" the 214A+B bubble, and outside of a ridiculous wall setup involving a knockdown and the stars being aligned, you will probably never hit this in tourney. (Trust me, I look for the opportunity to hit this all the time, lol, and it just isn't practical)

All bubbles can be blocked standing or crouching, FYI. I've run into a few people that thought they were mid, for whatever reason.

someone once told me that if you can still see most of the stage then you are not being cheap enough and you need more bubbles ^^

i personally use 4[A+B], 4[A+B] or 6[A+B], 4[A+B] then depending on what the opponent does, they will either wait to hit the bubbles back at you, stand and block or sidestep, there is always the person that will just charge through it when they have a largish weapon, i found a lot of people like to sidestep and i hit them with a 66a and i mix up 11a and 66a throwing in a aB every now and again. as its a lot harder to see what your going to throw out when they are worried about the bubbles. admittedly tho i only really start throwing out hte bubbles in panic mode when im losing cause im not patient enough to use the bubble backdash method. and i believe algol is still uber even without the bubble shield.

im still trying to work out a way to make someone eat the unblockable, players stupid enough to stand there and block it dont count, i want to trap someone into eating it. but its just to friggen slow and easily stepable.

question how well does aB track because it seems to track a little for me, but ti could be my imagination.

Well i sometimes get a bit of distance then charge 4B+K so they might get hit sidestepping and one towards them. Dunno if any1's said that lol didn't read

in theory you can do an unblockable with any guardbreak algol has so long as a bubble hits them right after they guard a guard break move. 22B, 4AA, etc but none are practical

Back