Calamity Symphony

An easy input I found for Calamity Symphony on pad was doing just over two full circles counter-clockwise, starting from down-forward and finishing on forward.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: Summon Suffering works in a similar way, input from down-forward clockwise for just over two circles and finish on down-back.

Last edited:
I know in previous games you could change your state at will as a sort of stance, but how does it apply in this game? Do you mean for every move that Ivy uses her weapon as a whip? Or is it something else?
I'm pretty sure its just the Serpents Embrace stance. You can only enter it with certain moves that end in it by holding the button, no switching back and forth while just standing.

Both grabs are quite easy. I find easier Summon Suffering somehow. But both excel in something:
Summon Suffering is unblockable, unreabakle and can only be broken with a guard impact (but if you time correctly your grab, no one will expect it. As shown on the next video).
Calamity Symphony has the same grab animation as previous SoulCalibur's (thank God) and makes Ivy go downside super fast, allowing her to evade grabs or high attacks and counter with a Calamity Symphony (I did this on the video, in the very last round) and has a fuckload of grab range.

Probably Summon Suffering was so nerfed on SCV that someone (someone really smart) decided to super buff it for SCVI. Ivy's legacy throw is fucking amazing.

Either you do it as just input or normal, my respects to all of you who can handle the input in the heat of battle.

I'm pretty sure its just the Serpents Embrace stance. You can only enter it with certain moves that end in it by holding the button, no switching back and forth while just standing.

First of all I thought Soul's Embrace has its Se abbreviation... And second even if that was the case how does it apply to this?

"Ok--I think I just learned something with iSS: I don't believe Ivy can do SS while she is in WP (at least not yet anyway--that is until one of you clever players figures it out ;-) ). Speed of the buffer isn't the problem for iSS. I'm using the same lightning buffer I had in SC2 and SC3, and iSS was only coming out for me while Ivy was standing (and not after WP moves) "

Oh. I misread that the first time. Maybe he means after a move when the sword fragments are still separated before it returns to normal?

No worries guys; it's actually pretty cool to see newer Ivy players on the forums (and when I say "newer"--please don't be offended--I just mean you're players after SC3, lol). Here are some of the the old designations for Ivy (and, yes, she/the weapon could enter into different states--in SC3 and SC4 she was actually in different stances):

SW= sword WP= whip SE= serpent's embrace CS= calamity symphony (or criminal symphony for the truly old heads) SS= summon suffering CL= coiled state (SC4) Christmas tree= WR B+K George Washington= that God damned hideous player 2 outfit from SC2, and so forth...

In the current iteration of the game, Ivy has one stance; however, the animation of her weapon is that it still transforms into a whip when she uses certain moves (AA, B6, 3B, et al). When I said that iSS couldn't happen during WP, I meant that while her weapon was in the whip state--the WP animation, iSS cannot be accessed--at this point anyway.

No worries guys; it's actually pretty cool to see newer Ivy players on the forums (and when I say "newer"--please don't be offended--I just mean you're players after SC3, lol). Here are some of the the old designations for Ivy (and, yes, she/the weapon could enter into different states--in SC3 and SC4 she was actually in different stances):

SW= sword WP= whip SE= serpent's embrace CS= calamity symphony (or criminal symphony for the truly old heads) SS= summon suffering CL= coiled state (SC4) Christmas tree= WR B+K George Washington= that God damned hideous player 2 outfit from SC2, and so forth...

In the current iteration of the game, Ivy has one stance; however, the animation of her weapon is that it still transforms into a whip when she uses certain moves (AA, B6, 3B, et al). When I said that iSS couldn't happen during WP, I meant that while her weapon was in the whip state--the WP animation, iSS cannot be accessed--at this point anyway.
I think most people know what those abbreviations mean but were confused by your use of them.

Last edited:

Hey! I used to rock that George Washington player 2 outfit. Lol

I think most people know what those abbreviations mean but where confused by your use of them.

True! My mind did go to sc6 WP is movels like AA and stuff but I just wanted to be sure... I remember in the earlier games (SC2 i think) where she had also the stance where she would spin the her whip in a circling motion over her head, and on her side too, but I dont remember how they were called or the abbreviation for it. I only started learning stuff about the game and visiting forums after SC5

Lol, was just experimenting in the spirit of SC2 flaming CS and found that you can do 214A~A+G to get flaming A+G throw.
Not exactly flaming CS, but still cool cause the whole A+G animation now is engulfed in flames.
Easy to do this on pad by 214A~A+G (mapped). The ~ motion is pretty tight so don't delay it too much.

21[4]A~A+G also works, but the flaming animation stops prematurely.
Lol, just found an even easier way.
4B+K~A+G. Yay flaming A+G!

Man, just keeps getting better.
4B+K~1_2_3A+G. Flaming LH grab.

4B+K~B+G_[B+G] => 4[B+K]~K+G_[K+G] (mapped) is an easier way to do the same.

I introduce the flaming BDC (backdash cancel for you Tekken players). 4B+K~[4]G~B+K~G... Lol, fast & fancy way to backdash.
4B+K~G xRepeat does a bigger backdash and may have its uses too.

4B+K~G also has a window where it recovers from crouch (enabling instant-like WR moves).

*****Holy sh**! I have just found flaming CS! Thank you Namco! Never would I have imagined it would be possible again since SC2. HERE it is in all its GLORY*****:

4B+K~A+G (whiff) buffer CS. FLAMING CS RETURNS!
Can also do the same for Flaming SS! Yay Namco!
Or just press A+G again for Flaming A+G throw. Yes!
Phew it keeps coming!
Can just follow up 4B+K~A+G (whiff) with 1_2_3A+G throw for flaming LH grab.

Lol, I don't know how practical this is, but found another whammie.
4B+K~A+G (whiff) you can fit in a max of 4x followup A+G's. You can toss in flaming CS on the following 1,2,3, or 4th followup A+G.
Same principle applies for any A+G related followup moves.

Last edited:
I'm sure people already know this (Ring does for sure), but you can input the first part of CS or SS and then run up and finish the execution. Pretty neat, I didn't play SCV Ivy that much but you could only do that with SS in SCIV (to my knowledge anyway).

I am still baffled at how easy and lenient the inputs are for both of these throws.

Last edited:
Back