Cervantes top 10 moves.

Agreed, but, like I mentioned in my first post, I play off how the other player plays. If what I do is countered every time, I'm not gonna sit there and keep trying it in hopes that it works eventually. I will change it up, and wont even try it on the next round. Yes are people that outplay me, people who I outplay. One of those "wow he has a 20% w/l, how did he beat me?" and "wow he's a 80% w/l, and I won"

I've beat guys on a multiple win streak, lost streaks to "weaker" opponents. I agree my play style is not perfect, and yes, ill get out played, but It goes both ways.

The same happens to me a lot when I beat a Rank A1 player with only a rank C4 from my part lol. They call me spammer, top tier whore, grab whore (While using Asta!), noob, garbage, camper, turtle, Santa Claus, Popeye, etc. But they don't realize I dominated them since the very beginning.

In the end W/L doesn't mean much. Some players only play with bad players to boost it.

So I'm still having trouble deciding what to use and where with Cervantes. For the most part, most of my attacks aren't connecting. While I've been mucking around legendary souls to get some combat experience and then take that online, I find that nothing is really working. This isn't the first time I've been at a loss with what moves to utilize with Cervantes.

aB - Probably the only move that connects often. I end up spamming it so often because people keep eating it and I just don't know what else to use or follow up with. Had a lot of success with this move, but I seem unable to punish stuff that should be punishable. Maybe its because I end up using it at tip range a lot?

iGDR - I get a few hits in using this. I'm not confident enough to try to combo iGDRx2, 2A+B, so I just stick with iGDR and then B2 as the follow up. Works well enough for now.

2A+B - Blocked most of the time. Occasionally when someone rolls I can catch them. Other cases it whiffs, especially against back rollers. I suppose iGDR is a better tech trap?

3B - I rarely get anything other than a block from this. Not sure when I'll connect it outside of stuff that's super punishable. Hit range seem slightly shorter than the trail effect. When I do successfully connect I use the standard combo of 8B+K, 3B. I don't use 2A+B in this combo, don't really see why since the damage is the same.

BT B+K - Its almost always Just Guarded, or regularly guarded. When its not, I can never get the 3B off as the opponent recovers quickly enough, but BBB seems to work.

4B BE - Hits often, I use it quite a bit. When its blocked, I try for BT B+K or throw. Not sure if I should try a low.

1A:B - Connects most of the time. Not sure what to follow up with afterwards. Seems like I'm stuck at disadvantage, so I try to frame trap with CE. In every case of retaliation a bullet clash happens and the opponent takes no damage. When I do get a counter hit, I follow up with iGDR.

3K - Whiffed or blocked most of time. Not sure of the timing for BT B+K.

3A - Blocked almost always except when punishing.

66A - Hits often. Seems to be the best anti-step tool.

33B - Really slow, doesn't track well. Either I get interrupted, or I whiff. After a successful block I use 44B. Some players will step after blocking 33B, not sure what to catch them with or if there's any other useful follow ups after 33B.

6A+B - Gets blocked most of the time. Or interrupted.

44A+B - Haven't had much success with this.

4A+B - Likewise I haven't had much success with this one. Seems even more crappy than SC4's.

bK - Not much luck on this one either.

22K - Had some good success with it. CH knocks down.

22AA - Most of time its blocked. Also slow so I get interrupted a lot.

3A+B - Not much success. Strangely I get punished less on this move than with 3A.

bA - Nothing here except the occasional vertical retaliation attempt.

1K - I've had some good success with it. Despite its lack of safety I tend to mix it up with 2A+B, probably not the best idea.

22B - Not much going for it. It whiffs more often than not, or I'm interrupted.

DC A - Can't get aB to connect after block. Not sure if I should keep trying with this move.

66K - Seems to hit often.

1BB - Works pretty well for me.

11k - Telegraphs a ton and I often see it get blocked.

WS A - A few cases where it hits. Probably the most reliable WS option so far.

WS B - Almost never connects. Not sure what to follow up with outside of 8B+Kx2

WS K - Seems like his fastest option, but the rarnge is pretty lousy

6BB - Works well enough.

That's all the ones I can think of right now. Wish I could figure out which ones are with using. Though, even if I did, its unlikely I'm going to be able to get through players guarding all the time.

Thats a good list, hope we can help. If you read back in this thread you will find many of these moves fleshed out with info from great Cervy players. Their knowledge has helped my game out tremendously. As far as opening people up and landing hits goes, grabs and lows. His grab game is strong with B grab damage wise. A grab has the ability to ring out as well. One of the best lows in the game with 1A,B:B. It tracks and on counter you get to follow up. Plus is damn near unseeable. Or fish for other pokes. 66B is fast and safe( I think). 66 A or even 22AA for steppers. 22AA is great because both hits will connect when they step and will ring out too. He has options for just about every situation. It just takes a lot of matches to get used to his reach and rhythm.

Team Spooky has uploaded the "SC5 World Championship" to YouTube. If you haven't seen it, NoFaceKiller puts on a clinic with Cervantes against some of the best in the world. He should/could have beaten the eventual winner OmegaDR in his final set. But the moves we have been discussing are on display. Hope the videos can give new Cervantes players an idea of when and how to incorporate his arsenal of attacks into their game. Check em out on YouTube.

MC, watched a, couple videos, good stuff. He uses the AB slide alot more then I would have expected. Great timing on his igdrs, and BE, watched one where he utilizes the guard breaks as well. Gives me a few different movement and attack combos to try out. Thanks for the tip!

I notice in both the NFK and Hates videos that they're using the iGDR b2 ending to the 3b combos. I was under the impression that that was inferior damage-wise to iGDRx2 2A+B which still leaves good wakeup options. Is it just a matter of not chancing execution blunders?

iGDR x2, 2A+B doesn't connect after a 3B launch--you're thinking of the standard iGDR_4B BE combo.

When it comes to 3B, I alternate between 3B iGDR x2 and 3B iGDR B2 depending on where I want my opponent positioned at the end of the combo, how much health he has left, and other similar factors.

iGDR x2, 2A+B doesn't connect after a 3B launch--you're thinking of the standard iGDR_4B BE combo.

When it comes to 3B, I alternate between 3B iGDR x2 and 3B iGDR B2 depending on where I want my opponent positioned at the end of the combo, how much health he has left, and other similar factors.

And thus my dreams of landing 3B 8B+K iGDR iGDR 2A+B are dashed to nothing. I suppose that means you don't get 44A+B 8B+K 8B+K iGDRx2 2A+B either then?

Correct, alas. That'd be about 500,000,000 damage, though, so it probably shouldn't be possible on those grounds alone.

I always thought that if you got the relaunch with 3B, 8B+K, iGDR then it functioned the same as a normal iGDR?

I'm thinking on creating a new thread to discuss his worse moves. What do you guys think? Should I? Or it simply not worth it?

Go for it. I would learn from that one as much as I've learned from this one. I'm sure there are a lot moves that new players and myself should avoid. The more knowledge getting around the better.

One Move to mention is 4B+K, im starting to play around with this. Damage is meh, no CH stuff etc, but it really evades quite a lot. Need to play around more with this, so i wanted to encourage you to do the same. Im pretty sure i evaded even alphas throws etc....

Also whenever you have time spam 6B+K UB, i do this all the time. I dont know if its known but this UB builds meter also on whiff, so whenever i feel like it i just back up and spam it all day....since opponent must sidestep to come close you can do it 3-4 times most of the time...

One Move to mention is 4B+K, im starting to play around with this. Damage is meh, no CH stuff etc, but it really evades quite a lot. Need to play around more with this, so i wanted to encourage you to do the same. Im pretty sure i evaded even alphas throws etc....

Also whenever you have time spam 6B+K UB, i do this all the time. I dont know if its known but this UB builds meter also on whiff, so whenever i feel like it i just back up and spam it all day....since opponent must sidestep to come close you can do it 3-4 times most of the time...
I was training today and thought about meter gain. I know WS A+B builds a lot it seems on hit or block. But do wiffed attacks build meter?

Back