Current Build has placeholder for 20 Characters

This is actually pretty much what I expected. They made it clear they were going back to SCI so I didn't expect anyone past the original roster and a couple newbies like the one teased at the end of the reveal trailer. It's been ten years since some of these characters were last seen so they need to reintroduce them to a new audience plus considering how they're talking about a story mode, 20 characters is about the breaking point for doing a narrative without it buckling under its own weight. This could change in the coming months and it's possible they could do DLC expansions, but I won't hold my breath

Not gonna lie, I figured there'd be a low roster count considering Tekken 7 (although they managed to keep the characters varied and yes I know they removed "legacy characters" like Christie (damn she was hot) and all that).

You shouldn't expect much from AAA companies nowadays since games today are scaled down in favour of
"LOL SO AMAZING" graphics and spending tons of dosh on marketing. A shame, because back in the good old days, our games were meaty with all the toppings you could ask for and now, it's like ordering McDonald's but you only get the burgers.

I liked a grid rather than the assorted circles in the current select screen

20 is plenty, especially from a new release. Plus, I would be surprised if this character select doesn't change on final release.

if the 20 characters dont have similar styles like Berserk and Rock, Yunsung and Hwangm Seung Mina and Kilik then they are good enough.
i think i'll spam Okubo's twitterasking for Li Long, he is nothing like Maxi.

Since this character select screen got out, everyone seems to be looking for quantity instead of quality. 20 characters are more than enough for the base game, better to have fully fleshed characters than rushed ones with something broken to exploit. People are forgetting that DLC chars could potentially happen but I kinda hope that's not the case; I personally hope they even start us off with 10 characters and let us unlock the rest of the cast by playing the game instead of buying dlc, like how past SC games did things

It looks like a 20 + 1 screen now that I have seen it personally. The middle circle is probably a CAS slot or DLC as some of you say. In any case, Soul Calibur 4 had 26 characters (not including Vader/Yoda/Star/Reskins). That number drops down to 23 if you consider the clone-like characters, 22 if you consider Cassandra a clone. Plus we got new characters too and maybe a mimic. If 20 is set (excluding DLC), there are going to be quite a few cuts on release, and this assumes the guest character(s) do not eat up slots.

Think about it:
1. Mitsurugi (Announced)
2. Sophitia (Announced)
3. Dual Blade (Teased/Announced)
4. Kilik (Leaked)
5. Xiangua (Leaked)
6. Maxi (Related to Leaked, very likely)
7. Talim (Leaked?)
As this point, theres only 13 slots left, and I think there are supposed to be 4 total new? At this rate, I would suspect Algol is gone and possibly even Hilde.

Where was Talim leaked, I saw on a YouTube video she was probably in, but was low on the list.

Here are my thoughts on the 20.

Definite, to me.

Mitsurugi
Sophitia
Kilik
Rival to Kilik, twin blade
Nightmare
Tira
Guest 1
Guest 2

Very likely

Ivy
Voldo
Siegfried?
Maxi
Xiangua, or Lexia
Yoshimitsu
Astaroth
Raohael
New face 1
New face 2

Likely
Talim
Cassandra

There are a lot of styles possibly left out here. Would like to see Yunsung or Mina.

I want Talim in the game, badly, but I bet she would be 12 here..

20 characters at release is the ideal number. But I think they will aim for 24~26 characters. Which to me the best they can do for a balanced game.
Personally, I don’t wanna see no mimics, similar styles like Cassandra/Sophitia and don’t want any characters from SCV (even though I think Zwei has lots of potentials).
I’m hoping Hwang returns but with a totally different style than Xianghua, else don’t want him.
Also, for some reason, I don’t think we’ll see some of the characters from SCII. Talim and Raphael being among them.

Quite honestly there really aren't mimic characters. Sig and Nightmare are completely different although with the roster size I don't think we'd get both. Cass and Sophie are very different characters and both are iconic in there own right. Kilik and Mina are dramatically different. Personally I think it'd be really unfortunate not to have both Cass/Soph and Kilik/Mina.

Quite honestly there really aren't mimic characters. Sig and Nightmare are completely different although with the roster size I don't think we'd get both. Cass and Sophie are very different characters and both are iconic in there own right. Kilik and Mina are dramatically different. Personally I think it'd be really unfortunate not to have both Cass/Soph and Kilik/Mina.
Sieg and Nightmare were the same until Soul Calibur 3. Nightmare's control scheme turned into a hybrid of Siegfried and Sophitia, with a hard lock grip stance and a prowl step, it was pretty interesting.

I thought Cass and Soph had the same stance designs though, and hence were much more clonish, while Mina was like Kilik but with less moves....

Where was Talim leaked, I saw on a YouTube video she was probably in, but was low on the list.
I want Talim in the game, badly, but I bet she would be 12 here..
I think it was leaked via Verge in the 500+ page long thread. I may be wrong. The only one who is likely to be included given what has leaked is Maxi so far. With either Siegfried or Nightmare being picked with the other cut being highly likely, I can't even say which one.

My guess, best case scenario, without SC3 characters ('coz it's a reboot, isn't it?) could be Astaroth instead of Rock, Nightmare and Sigfried as SC2.

SC6-guess1.jpg

Worst case scenaro :P

SC6-guess.jpg

^I would main Ivy's right tit and/or Demuth

My gut feeling about the roster is that this isn't going to be just about SC1, but all of the games. With that in mind, I speculate that the characters in the story will proceed something like this:

Episode 1 (Soul Edge): Mitsurugi, Taki, Voldo, Sophitia, Siegfried, Cervantes
Episode 2 (SoulCalibur): Kilik, Xianghua, Maxi, Ivy, Astaroth, Lizardmaeon
Episode 3 (Side Stories SC2-5 & BD): Raphael, Talim, Zasalamel, Tira, Hilde, Dampierre, Viola
Other: new character 1, new character 2 (boss)

Edit: totally forgot about Voldo

Last edited:
Actually, I think you may have stumbled on something without even realizing it with your first picture, specifically placing Kilik/X/Maxi in one section of 3 like that.
It would make sense to have "teams" in each of the 4 trio spots and the remaining 8 being lone wolfs.

1. Kilik
2. Xiangua
3. Maxi

4. Raphael
5. Amy/Viola
6. Malfested Twin Blade

7. Nightmare
8. Tira
9. 2nd New Character / Axe / Astaroth?

10. Siegfried
11. Hilde
12. 3rd New Character, new style

13. Voldo
14. Cervantes
15. Ivy
16. Mitsurugi
17. Sophitia
18. Yoshitmitsu
19. Talim
20. Natsu/Taki Replacement (4th New Character)

Last edited:
Back