Dampierre Q&A / General Discussion

Damp is so fun to use. Landing that full 236K into 4B is probably the most satisfying thing i've done in game. It helps that it does so much damage and that he has a lot of ways to combo into it for 50% give or take a little. I have him as my secondary next to Viola, probably not someone i'd use in a tournament though, he seems to have problems against the better characters like Nightmare and Astaroth, or maybe that's just me.

Unfortunately, I don't think the sneeze can RO or wall splat. Maybe the sneeze can RO or wall splat under special circumstances, but I've never had it happen.

Of course you can RO them with the sneeze, it's called doing 3K after it, or 3BB, or 623K. Same deal with the wall splat. You dont just hit them with the sneeze and do nothing, you combo them from it. I didn't literally mean you could RO with the sneeze itself, I meant using it to follow up with an RO move. Are we not talking about using it so the 6B is blocked first? I'm pretty sure thats what we were discussing, Hence why I said use 33BK instead and hope for the GC.

[Edit]: And if what you said there is about both hits of 6B BE hit so they slide and you hope you could RO them with 1b? even if it could you couldn't, it's techable.

And if what you said there is about both hits of 6B BE hit so they slide and you hope you could RO them with 1b? even if it could you couldn't, it's techable.

Yeah, you're right; I just checked, 6B BE 1B is techable. I can't think of anything practical to do with 6B BE then. I guess if you get lucky your opponent might get hit by the sneeze.

GoingLopsided - You don't know how happy I am to see a level headed Dampierre player posting here, and not another person who makes claims through anecdotal evidence and lack of testing.

I agree with everything you've said so far except for that 6B BE is not worth using. But that's really a matter of personal choice and how risky/lucky the person feels they are.

I don't really use 6B BE too much myself, but that's mainly because I prefer to use B+K on its own instead. I'm the type of player who likes to take big risks with Dampierre, especially if I'm confident that I'll still win if it fails, so B+K is a move that I'll usually use at least once every several matches in very situational circumstances. I feel that the 6B BE version however, is only better in that although it's extremely situational, if you get lucky it's virtually an i14 UB (unless they pull a magic JG) rather than an i23 UB (B+K). But to me that's not enough of a reason to use 6B BE over B+K. The only reason that would make me favor 6B BE would be if it had a higher probability of the fastest sneeze coming out.

Personally I don't see how anyone can main Dampierre and not be a fan of taking risks like B+K and 6B BE once in a while, considering his whole gameplay is built around taking risks.

Oof: lol I appreciate the sentiment, I try and make sure I test what im blabbing about before I post, or while posting. Lest I end up looking like a fool.

I take plenty of risks while i play as damps, but I also limit how risky I want to be, doing 2x 623B before B!E! as opposed to attempting hat trick (really not ever worth doing hat trick imo)or only doing 1 623b(only do 1 near ring edge). I also like the risk of deliberately whiffing 66B either falling short for a low grab or falling over them for a PB K and using 44K BE after 22B despite his tendancy to jump early.

But honestly I never use the sneeze or 6B BE, they just dont seem like risks worth taking considering the other minor risks you can arnt as punishable, dont use meter* and give you a bigger reward for a smaller risk, it's why 623B is still good sometimes even if it fails, you can get lucky and fall over/under an attack or get lucky and accidentally fail as your opponent would of successfully stepped it, making it safer than a stepped 623B. It still gives you a chance even if you fail. 6B BE and B+K failing gives you no additional chances in the way 623B does, it can never still give you a chance when if fails.

1K is a good, risky move to do as well, again it operates the same as 623B with the additional chance element playing in. If your kick is blocked you can still be lucky and have the FP not initiate, keeping you relatively safe (vice versa). or if you hit with it, you get another chance at damage with either B or A+G(can also open up other chance near wall/edge).

Basicly, dampierre is risk/reward and chance. But from a competitive perspective it's never worth taking a chance that is always in more favor with your opponent than you. B+K is unfortunately like that, with a much higher chance of it being a slow version. at least his other risk moves have other benefits. So yeah, as you can tell i don't like this move, purely because the odds are against you.

But it's a matter of opinion whether you truly think it's worth throwing out, just that one time, that moment where you think "yeah, this is the right time",when your feeling extra lucky and you do it, it succeeds and it wins you the match. You would be feeling pretty damn lucky after that.

I pretty much agree 100% with everything in your post. It's funny, I also use 66B in the same way. I think I came off as seeming to favour his sneeze too much, but I didn't mean to make it seem like a move to use often. More like once in a blue moon and with good judgement. I just like the feeling of stinging my oponents with an i23 UB too much to just completely discard the move from my arsenal.

I'm actually curious to see your Dampierre, GL. Do you play online? Even if our connection sucks I wouldn't mind just checking out your replay uploads from your licence.

I know I made a mistake on 6B BE 1B, but this is kind of ridiculous...

Anyway, the sneeze ducks highs when it comes out which is pretty good, and of course gives some pretty impressive combos. I can't say much more about 6B BE, but I don't think it's worth the gauge when you can just use 33_99B BE instead.

Yes i play online pretty nuch exclusively as there are no good players locally. Il add you and we can play at somepoint, im guessing your from NA? Im UK so lag might be an issue though i often play US players on 3 bars and dont notice any delay so could be alright, il msg you when im back from work.

[Edit]: Forgot to mention, i play on xbox, dont have the game on ps3

Yes i play online pretty nuch exclusively as there are no good players locally. Il add you and we can play at somepoint, im guessing your from NA? Im UK so lag might be an issue though i often play US players on 3 bars and dont notice any delay so could be alright, il msg you when im back from work.

[Edit]: Forgot to mention, i play on xbox, dont have the game on ps3

Where abouts in the UK are you in? Me and syn are in nottingham so if you ever wanna come down on day and get some games

AZ

AZ, I'm in Glasgow so Nottingham is just a bit too far for me but cheers for the offer.

Not sure if i'd want to play with Syn (assuming you mean Synrai) again though since last time I played him he called me a scrub/lag abuser after I beat him a few times with Talim until he picked Algol and started abusing 11A to prove some misconceived point about fair online play.

Luckily V has pretty awesome netcode so lag abusing doesn't even exist anymore imo so Im still up for playing over LIVE anytime. I play pretty much every day so it aint hard to find me. Xbox live Gtag: GoneLopsided, feel free to add me, though seeing as you only have a PSN ID up im guessing you don't play on xbox.

I'd be interested in playing some more Dampierres :D

Doubly so if they're good and on XBL, I've only bumped into one remotely competent Dampierre player so far but every time I've mirrored him I've lucked out and won xD

...Not that I'm claiming to be good with le bello(my second after everyone's favorite dancing assassin), just that every other random player I've bumped into that uses him has been awful even compared to me D:

I'm all for losing with Damp in a mirror to get better haha. I should get online sometime to play some of you Damp mainers.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of 11B to the point where I now think it's one of Damp's top ten moves. I love the fact it TC's early on and can combo in B!E.

I'm getting a lot of mileage out of 11B to the point where I now think it's one of Damp's top ten moves. I love the fact it TC's early on and can combo in B!E.

It's alright, I just wish it was little safer. I think 11_77B can be very good, but you do have to fish for whiffs in order to land it safely.

It's tremendously unsafe but so useful in certain matchups it makes up for it. After blocking Sieg's 3(B) it'll beat all of his stance options. It also beats Pyrrha Omega's scariest options after 66B.

11B has always been one of my top moves. Like mentioned it's excellent against Sieg and any other character who has weaknesses against step into TC.

11B is one of his best moves. You can bait opponents into it with blocked 22B or 33K, 44BKBK is also a good RO follow up if your near an edge. I use this move all the time.

After blocking Sieg's 3(B) it'll beat all of his stance options.

Not quite. Post 3(B) on block, SCH 4*6 re-aligns him and still gives him enough time to do SCH B and beat you out for at least 60 damage - 117 damage if he combos a CE afterwards, and 132 damage if he gets a Clean Hit on SCH B. He can also do this with SCH KK or SCH k(BE). This basically adds another layer to the mix-up - in addition to Siegfried trying to beat out your fast moves with SCH K and kill your step with SCH A, he has to re-align if he wants to kill 11B, which leaves him open to fast moves.

It doesn't beat all of his options by far, but it certainly does give Dampierre the potential to match Siegfried's damage.

Also, if I may direct everyone's attention here for a moment, this SA is in need of a new moderator. If you're interested, follow the instructions in there.

I was in practice mode for a few hours, Ithink there'll be some great use for 4A followups

Best use for 4A outside of punishment,when the opponent's back is at the wall, on hit, it forces the opponent to BT, now I haven't yet looked up it's +f on hit, should be something like at least +4 or 5 maybe more? Anyway if they don't react quickly, you get the BT throw (wall only), which means good damage, free wall splat and 3K follow-up is guaranteed after. If they guard, use the A throw and see if you your wallsplat followed with a combo...
A smarter opponent would guard and throw break too, we could still throw and give'em chip damage for throw breaking if they guess right...but I feel there's some good mixup opportunites if they guess wrong by crouching guard A+B, 623B mids hit them...I guess after all my thoughts 2K would be the only safe option or 1k if they're not so reactive...otherwise, take your risk with your lows and mids...

I was also attempting a 22K, G, B!E! on astaroth, it hits if he techs (set it to random so I need to verify the directions), but I noticed that it will whiff whilst he's still in mid-air just 1/4 of his way falling to the ground.

Also attempted 2 B!E's in one combo, the just felt it was one of those ridiculously tight but possible combos, I'll try it again, but in all honestly it never will be worth trying to do. Coming to think of it..it might be one of those p-stick combos....

AZ

Why not program a Dampierre training dummy to spam 623KKKKKKKK endless for a test instead? You could set both action slots to the same recording and as I understand it(likely not well at all) the dummy will execute the inputs without delay. I'd do that myself but I'm thinking I won't get the chance to today.

Back