Dampierre Status: TOURNAMENT LEGAL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Admin
Its been exactly a month since Soulcalibur V was released in America. Up until now, Dampierre has only been available as a pre-order bonus from BestBuy. Well later tonight, the final round of announced DLC will become available on both PSN and XBL; with it comes the Dampierre unlock code!

Previously, Dampierre had been banned from tournaments since he was not readily available to all players. How could you legalize a character that not everybody could use or practice against? Well now, since he is available to everyone with an internet connection (which you need to receive patches anyways), he is officially being declared legal for tournament play per the Official 8WAYRUN.com Sanctioned Ruleset.

Don't have Soulcalibur V yet? First, whats wrong with you? It is by far the best fighting game on the market today. Secondly, you're in luck! Amazon.com is now offering a special discount of $20 off the game. Who knows how long the sale will last, so get on it while you can. Click the image link below to go directly to the sale.

amazon.jpg
* NOTE * Some major tournaments have already declared their rules and at this point would be too late to change them as they have been set in stone for some time. During the next few months, you may continue to see Dampierre banned from the larger scale events.

Jason Axelrod

Jason Axelrod

Owner and Operator of 8WAYRUN
wait... dampierre is the last SC5 DLC???

also hes not out here yet. usa got him 2 days ago where is he??

I'm personally loving SC V. It's not perfect, but it's still my favorite SC and fighting game to date. I was a Street Fighter fan long before I was a SoulCalibur fan (though I prefer the later), and I think the mechanics mix well into the game. It's a breath of fresh air I think SC definitely needed.

As for Dampierre, I'm glad he's legal. I didn't think I would like him much, but I pre-ordered at Best Buy anyways. He turned out to be pretty much the most awesome joke character ever. I don't plan on using him at any tournaments I end up going to, however. I'm handicapped enough just being me XD.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to use Dampierre. I'm not buying a horrible character for $5.

Where do I go to bitch about Devil Jin being banned? "Banned by coincidence" has to be the stupidest excuse for a ban ever. It takes hours for tournament organizers to unlock all the other characters, and then it takes five minutes to slap together some kind of custom DJ character that conforms to an agreed upon template like "default height male with default body type, no dangling fabric, no unusual appendages other than wings, no hats, no afro, no fursuit, no items in the 'specialized equipment' slots unless it's one small set of horns." And leave it up to the organizer to decide how much they want to care about actually making it look good within those rules. That should be easy and fair enough for everybody.

Daishi specifically addressed this concern about Devil Jin on Twitter before the game came out. He said the move set is balanced, and we should pick an official height. Well, there's a default height, so there you go. We should respect his say-so on the subject, and welcome this new piece of variety to a game where people regularly complain about the smallness of the roster.

I suspect what's really going on here is that people think DJ's too good, and they're using the lazy ban on customs as an excuse so they never have to prove it.

Where do I go to bitch about Devil Jin being banned? "Banned by coincidence" has to be the stupidest excuse for a ban ever. It takes hours for tournament organizers to unlock all the other characters, and then it takes five minutes to slap together some kind of custom DJ character that conforms to an agreed upon template like "default height male with default body type, no dangling fabric, no unusual appendages other than wings, no hats, no items in the 'specialized equipment' slots." And leave it up to the organizer to decide how much they want to care about actually making it look good within those rules. That should be easy and fair enough for everybody. Daishi specifically addressed this concern before the game came out. We should respect his say-so on the subject, and welcome this new piece of variety to the game.

I suspect what's really going on here is that people think DJ's too good, and they're using the lazy ban on customs as an excuse so they never have to prove it.

HERE WE GO AGAIN

HERE WE GO AGAIN

Sorry. I missed any previous runs at this subject. I'm not much of a forum rat. Last I'd heard, what I'm describing was what we were doing. You've got to admit "banned by coincidence" would never fly if this situation had happened to Talim or Zasalamel. I recognize that this is a tangent for the thread, and I was serious in asking where the appropriate place was to register my disgust.

Sorry. I missed any previous runs at this subject. I'm not much of a forum rat. Last I'd heard, what I'm describing was what we were doing. You've got to admit "banned by coincidence" would never fly if this situation had happened to Talim or Zasalamel.

Yes, it would.

Also, if you wish to imply TO's are just lazy and that is the reason, I might just start slandering you without justification like so:

You know, in Madison they just want to get more money in the TO's pockets, hence they allow him regardless of what logistical issues it might cause. Cash in on that Tekken money.

That seems sort of off the mark now doesn't it?

CaS is always banned, always has been, always will be. Give us a character model, we won't have this problem. That's my opinion as a TO since 2000.

Edit: Also if OOF is agreeing with you, you've probably fallen on the wrong side of the argument.

@PhilBond - The Devil Jin ban is unfortunate. In my city we had 1 new SC player that came off other fighting games, and he stopped playing after he found out that his preferred style (Devil Jin) was banned from tournaments. I'm sure this isn't the only case of losing players to the ban...

Oh well... arguing against it is a lost cause. Let's just hope that Namco DLC's his model or includes it in the next version update of SCV.

Edit: As usual, IdleMind comes off as an internet dick.

CaS is always banned, always has been, always will be. Give us a character model, we won't have this problem. That's my opinion as a TO since 2000.

This isn't about Madison, me, you, or Oofmatic, but your opinion on Devil Jin has not existed since 2000 or even 2005 when CaS was introduced. This is a new situation that we should handle as a community with an open mind, not as the most legendarily ban-happy community in fighting games.

It's great (really great) that we didn't fall into our old bullshit over Dampierre, but with DJ we're yet again favoring trivial hyper-marginal concerns instead of basic respect for the game we claim to want to play.

I'm guessing you think your real rationale is that Devil Jin's hit detection properties and readability will be an unpredictable can of worms that could lead a juggle to work against one pair of pants but not another? I don't believe that, but even if I did: boo-hoo. This is the game of Clean Hits. Live with another tiny bit of unpredictability.

This isn't about Madison, me, you, or Oofmatic, but your opinion on Devil Jin has not existed since 2000 or even 2005 when CaS was introduced. This is a new situation that we should handle as a community with an open mind, not as the most legendarily ban-happy community in fighting games.

It's great (really great) that we didn't fall into our old bullshit over Dampierre, but with DJ we're yet again favoring trivial hyper-marginal concerns instead of basic respect for the game we claim to want to play.

I'm guessing you think your real rationale is that Devil Jin's hit detection properties and readability will be an unpredictable can of worms that could lead a juggle to work against one pair of pants but not another? I don't believe that, but even if I did: boo-hoo. This is the game of Clean Hits. Live with another tiny bit of unpredictability.

This isn't a new situation. If it was, when we allowed Bonus characters in SC3, we would have also allowed CaS "pants" too. We didn't- we allowed SC3 Bonus characters BECAUSE THEY HAD A CHARACTER MODEL.

ban DJ because hellsweep is stupid and CaS is ugly.

ban algol because his entire premise is retarded and he still makes the game look as dumb as he did in sc4.

ban dampierre because fuck dampierre.

i fully back necrid rules 4lyfe.

I recognize that CaS introduces quirks that many players find undesirable, so it's fine to ban it as long as it doesn't take a substantial bite out of the player's options in terms of winning and losing. When we were just talking about costume choices, that was an easy sacrifice to make. But we have to make an exception to the antiquated CaS ban now that its consequences are no-longer simply aesthetic. Stop belching that "CaS is banned because it's always been banned because it's banned." Take yourself back in time to when you remembered why it was banned, and from those reasons, pull one that's worth banning half a character for.

Remember: you can't say it has to do with his hit detection properties, because we can standardize his body shape and clothing to an extremely specific degree, much more specific than the suggestions I gave above. We can even standardize his colors to two official schemes (P1 and P2) if we want. It would be very easy.

Laziness is absolutely the only real barrier to making this work.

laziness and sanity. The character is not meant to be tournament viable. That is why he is CAS only. So that we wouldn't use it in tournaments.

This decision is over. Go read Jaxels article and update and thats the whole story.

Dj is bullshit and overpowered thats why hes fucking banned

I will ft10 any dj player in a mirror to prove hes broke

Furthermore I advise everyone to ignore lobo
dampy>cervy wr b
and. ... I don't even know how someone could have a problem with algol this time around

Dampierre is legal. Devil Jin is banned. If you were late for the weeks of debate that went on about it, that's your fault.

Tootles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live streams

2 Viewers
FuzzyCatGirl
FuzzyCatGirl
Soul Cal Saturday!!! Get in here!!!
1 Viewers
MoistJeeze
MoistJeeze
Apex pack bad unboxing 40