Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate

As I have made clear in the past, I'm completely new to DOA.

What exactly does that mean, and what does it entail for Bayman?

Hm... well the simple way to explain it is that in DOA when you stun an opponent, they can take a certain amount of damage before the stun breaks and they are reset. This is called the "stun threshold". The closer you get to maxing out the stun threshold, the higher the launch you can get and, therefore, the bigger the combo's damage potential.

If you manage to "break" the stun threshold with a special attack called a critical burst, the person goes into a very long, unholdable, unshakeable stun that pretty much lets you do whatever you please to them.

The reason I pointed out that these combos aren't really too high on damage is because a lot of lighter stuns can be countered out of. To reach full stun threshold certain characters have to take greater risk of being countered during the initial parts of the combo because they lack good unholdable stuns.

Whats this mean for Bayman? Very little actually. Bayman has good unholdable stuns and can reach Critical Burst in as little as 3 hits (as of E3) so his damage is pretty legit. Of course he is also slower than average, fairly unsafe on many of his attacks, and has very short range aside from a couple attacks. That's the primary tradeoff for him to get that big damage without being countered so much.

But some of these combos in the videos are actually pretty unsafe to attempt, so it's not really blasphemy to give them respectable damage.

That's high-counter damage revision and most of these combos are full stun threshold or close. If they lowered the damage any further strikes would be irrelevant.

Maybe the Life bar is also set on normal!? It's funner on the largest setting... :)

Ever followed CGS?
believe me there were plenty Kokos and Fang`s.
you have a link. i wanna check those out. even in the world championships i didn't see Fang's or kokoros so it would be nice to see some high level play of them besides me. well not to brag or anything of course.

So, Bayman is the Astaroth of DOA?

Pretty much him and Bass. Astaroth is the DOA3.1 Bass of SC5.

Also, you'll see "stun threshold" named "Critical State". The threshold is the levels of damage inside of Critical State, the Critical State is the fact that the player is in the "stun" metagame.

Every attack has a 'stun level' damage modifier. There are three levels of launch heights inside the critical state depending on the numerical total of stun put on the opponent in Critical State.

Also, a crouching opponent is put in an even higher launch than normal when they are launched, and sit-down stuns are considered stuns that put the opponent in crouch until they're able to hold. So if you get a guaranteed situation like Bayman's 3K he can do 236P for extra launch height instead of doing his Critical Burst attack.

Dropping this here:

Day 1 of the 12 Days of DOA coverage for IPL's 2nd I'm a Fighter championships:

http://www.ign.com/ipl/all/news/doa5-august-changes-and-additions/

Upon closer inspection we discovered that players now have the ability to customize the random select feature. You’ll be able to choose any number of characters and stages, and the random select option will be limited to only the characters and stages selected. If your favorite characters are Bass, Kasumi, Ayane and Zack, simply select those four fighters, and when you choose the random select box on the character select screen, only one of the four will be selected. The same rules apply to the random select box on the stage selection screen as well.

Continuing through the options menu, one of the few complaints we heard during the E3 showcase was that the new sidestep command of “up, up” or “down, down” was causing issues with other movement in the game. People would get a crouch dash when they wanted to sidestep, or they’d get a sidestep when they tried to use a throw. Team Ninja heard your cries as there’s now an option to change the sidestep command from the “up, up” or “down, down” command to the up or down and punch, kick and hold command from the Alpha demo. This allows players to decide how they want to play, instead of being forced to play one way or another by a lack of options.

For the hardcore competitive players, they’ll be happy to hear that a new “unholdable” stun has been added into the mix. At E3, the tournament players were ecstatic to find that certain stuns did not allow for the opposing player to use a counter hold, something the series is well known for. These stuns included the sit-down stun, limbo stun, stagger back stun and the newly introduced Critical Burst stun.

Adding to this list is the faint stun, which we lovingly named because of the way the opponent reacts while in the stun. They slowly fall back, almost as if they’re fainting on the spot. So far we only noticed this new stun while playing as Leifang, but the game isn’t quite finished yet and not all of the characters were available in the build we played. It’s quite possible we’ll see more characters with this stun when the game hits store shelves in less than two months.

While competitive players were very happy to discover the unholdable stuns in the E3 build, some were concerned because it was possible to “shake out” of these stuns by rapidly moving the d-pad and pressing buttons. It seems as though Team Ninja is paying close attention to the fan base, because these stuns are now much harder to shake out of. In fact, it took a full match of shaking out of stuns before we were able to avoid some of the follow-up attacks that were more easily avoidable in the E3 build. It also seems as though it’s not possible to shake out of the new faint stun at all, which should have tournament players even more enthusiastic.

So what does all of this mean to tournament-goers? Well, it’s a little harder to land a Critical Burst stun now. Some characters, such as Bayman, can still get to a Critical Burst stun in three hits, but this seems to be the exception, not the rule. Most characters can’t get a Critical Burst stun until at least the fourth hit of a combo.

To make things a little easier on the competitive players, some of the attacks in DOA5 are now a little safer when they’re blocked. We especially noticed this when playing as Zack. While the changes were minor, they made a big difference in the grand scheme of things. We considered Zack to be one of the weakest characters in the game at E3, but now he’s moved up quite a bit and should be able to hang with most of the cast. Of course, Team Ninja had just started the fine-tuning as of our current build, so it’s likely many more minor changes have been made to the characters.

So, Bayman is the Astaroth of DOA?

Sort of? Well he played quite a bit like a much, much weaker Astaroth in DOA 4, but since he actually has punishment options this time I wouldn't say the comparison is too accurate. And he's slow, but not the slowest as that honor would fall to Bass.

Bayman and Bass are characters that have offensive holds, which unlike regular throws can potentially beat strikes like throws in SC can. I guess in that regard it helps them play a bit like Astaroth lol.

I would say Bass is definitely closer to Astaroth though.

Maybe the Life bar is also set on normal!? It's funner on the largest setting... :)

I always preferred normal for the most part. It feels like my attacks are more meaningful. You aren't alone in that opinion though.

"You’ll be able to choose any number of characters and stages, and the random select option will be limited to only the characters and stages selected"

HOLY CRAP someone actually finally did it. I've wanted this forever. I wonder if you can customize which outfit it will choose and stuff as well. I'd like it even more in Soul Calibur. Hate how I can't do like "random custom char" or "Random no customs" and stuff.

Damn it! This makes want to play sooo bad!
Sort of?
I always preferred normal for the most part. It feels like my attacks are more meaningful. You aren't alone in that opinion though.

Normal here too but with three more round after round two sometimes the opponent shows his true colors.

Well yea, best of 5 normal has always been my standard.

A lot of the reason people leaned towards largest back in DOA 4 was due to the outrageous counter-hold damage. Thats been nerfed pretty substantially, but we'll have to see how the game plays out. By default we're going with normal, but we'll see what people want to do after the game starts being played.

The primary thing is, we want a reasonable standard people will agree with and be happy with. We're all very tired of having community divide over the issue and frankly we would have preferred if they did not even give the players an option to change the life settings.

Countering is a problem to tournament people
cause it's broken as many would say.

Damn it I'm playing DOA Dimensions and I hate playing against spammers and players with cheap tactics

you have a link. i wanna check those out. even in the world championships i didn't see Fang's or kokoros so it would be nice to see some high level play of them besides me. well not to brag or anything of course.

No no...its no problem.
Dont worry..i`ll get it, these days everyone can claim and say "hey ya retard..didnt ya know..blabla" ;)
So its ok if ya ask...im glad that you show some interest in that.
OK here ya go...some old koko and lei Fang CGS/Camp Matches

DOA 4: Liefje (Kokoro) vs sWooZie (Kasumi)

CGS'08: DOA4 Female - Liefje Vs. Vanessa

Mystik vs Vanessa in the CGS Training Camp

Skatan Milla vs Sarafan WCG 2007 Semi-Finals DOA4

Offbeat Ninja vs Skatan Milla WCG 2007 QuarterFinals DOA4

Enjoy!

Cant wait for DoA 5....anyway...this thread is one rare treasure here, im glad that we dont flame around.
Keep it up Folks!
Cheers!

Offtopic - With the VF5 characters in I'm pretty sure some level of customization might be included in the game.

Ontopic - I'm glad some stuns are un-counterable because in DOA4 you could spam the same hold command throughout a whole stun combo (until they guess right) and it kind of killed my motivation to even practice high damaging combos cause 9 times out of 10 I know they would be easily stopped. Also about these un-counterable stuns, they will add some kind of depth to the game and it will prioritize certain moves off of counter hit and during combos. I like that alot because now, players who want to seriously get into the game have things to actually look for.

In Tekken, while it's not as clearly written, I know for sure what I had to do to win. But in DOA4 even though it was fun as hell, I honestly didn't know what to do. I just felt like I was just given a rack of moves and I just randomly used them in a fight. In DOA5 with these new stuns, Critical Bursts, Critical Stuns, and etc. these things are constantly said and when you do them while fighting, the HUD lights up and lets you know what's going on. I like that.

I'm getting more and more excited for this game, I'm praying it wont be overshadowed by Tekken and it will get all the money it deserves. Their busting their asses to make this a serious fighter, and it looks good.

Damn it I want to play it!!
You know what If anyone has a 3DS and a copy DOA Dimensions
here's my fucking friend code... seriously play me!
0817 - 4023 - 5815

Offtopic - With the VF5 characters in I'm pretty sure some level of customization might be included in the game.

Ontopic - I'm glad some stuns are un-counterable because in DOA4 you could spam the same hold command throughout a whole stun combo (until they guess right) and it kind of killed my motivation to even practice high damaging combos cause 9 times out of 10 I know they would be easily stopped. Also about these un-counterable stuns, they will add some kind of depth to the game and it will prioritize certain moves off of counter hit and during combos. I like that alot because now, players who want to seriously get into the game have things to actually look for.

In Tekken, while it's not as clearly written, I know for sure what I had to do to win. But in DOA4 even though it was fun as hell, I honestly didn't know what to do. I just felt like I was just given a rack of moves and I just randomly used them in a fight. In DOA5 with these new stuns, Critical Bursts, Critical Stuns, and etc. these things are constantly said and when you do them while fighting, the HUD lights up and lets you know what's going on. I like that.

I'm getting more and more excited for this game, I'm praying it wont be overshadowed by Tekken and it will get all the money it deserves. Their busting their asses to make this a serious fighter, and it looks good.

Ya know..in DoA4 there were some un-counterable set ups ..like say kasumi`s one:
8/9 P(CH)"crumble stun state",
9K(jump over),
Start with 6PK or 6K and some follow up you want.
But i know really well what you mean, hmm...im ok if there is a customization, if not it is ok to.
Till now, i like all the outfits in the Game.
Im curious this time about the OST, hope it will be good as like DoA 2(ultimate) OST!

Back